Thomas J. Hubbard
Thomas J. Hubbard, former resident of LaMoille
and Dover, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. O. G. Dorsey, at Decatur,
Ill., Sunday morning, July 3, at 8:40 o'clock, after an illness extending
over a period of nearly two years, suffering from several strokes of
Mr. Hubbard was born at Dover, Bureau County,
Ill., September 11, 1856, a son of Thomas and Mary Sherman Hubbard. He was
reared to manhood under the watchfulness of Christian parents and his
footsteps guided in paths of righteousness from the cradle to manhood. He
was united in marriage to Amanda Eberly, on December 31, 8177. His wife
preceded him to the grave, passing away in March, 1903. Early in life he
united with the First Christian church at Monte Vallo, Mo.
The writer was personally acquainted with Thomas Hubbard and knows of his
business life and industry in Bureau county for many years. Mr. Hubbard was
a man of inventive genius and a good carpenter. He was one of the firm of
Hubbard Brothers, who ran a saw mill and general woodworking plant on Bureau
creek in Dover township and subsequently at LaMoille for thirty years.
Hubbard Brothers were the pioneers of telephone service in Bureau county.
They installed a vibrating line for Jacob Miller, Joe Brown and several
others early in the eighties.
Mr. Hubbard was of a cheerful and kindly
disposition, a loving husband and father, a lover of nature, fond of pets
and a true and faithful friend to all in need.
He leaves to mourn their loss, his two
daughters, Mrs. Jennie Dorsey of Decatur, and Hattie Hubbard, of Decatur,
one son, Elmer, who died in 1881, at two and one half years of age; two
brothers, J. C. Hubbard, of Princeton, and W. W. Hubbard, of Mendota, and
one sister, Mrs. Carrie Eberly, of Sulphur Springs, Ark., besides a host of
other relatives and friends.
Mr. Hubbard was a member of the Modern Woodmen
of America, the Mystic Workers and the Christian church.
Short funeral services were held at the home at
Decatur Monday, and the remains were brought to Mendota. They were then
taken to Dover, where friends gathered and services were held.
County Tribune, Princeton, Illinois, July 1903,
submitted by Shirley Beams Simmons)