Joe Pauline/Pavlin and John Koss


Proprietors of Meat Market Victims of Crash.

(By Special Correspondent)

DePue, Ill., Nov 21.-Two Depue business men lost their lives last evening when the automobile in which they were riding was struck by westbound passenger train No. 13 on the Rock Island railroad at the West street crossing.

The victims are Joe Pauline and John Koss, members of the firm of Pauline & Koss, who operate a Depue meat market.

They were on their way to their homes at 8:30 o'clock, after doing some work at the meat market, when the accident occurred. Pauline, who was driving, apparently misconstrued a signal which was given by the crossing flagman, and started across the track as the train approached.

The two men in the auto observed the train just a moment before it hit the auto, but it was too late for them to avoid the crash, or to escape by jumping.

The auto was hurled against the flagman's shanty, and rebounded against the pilot of the engine. The auto was totally demolished. Koss was found 300 feet west of the crossing, still alive and conscious. He was removed to St. Margaret's hospital in Spring Valley, where he died 15 minutes after the accident occurred. Pauline's body, badly mangled, was found 100 feet west of the crossing.

Koss, who was able to talk to persona who went to his rescue, said he noticed the flagman give a signal, but presumed that it meant the track was clear.

The passenger train was brought to a stop with a short distance from the scene of the accident.

The flagman's shanty was wrecked by the impact of the auto buried against it.

Funeral article in same paper:

Depue, Ill., Nov. 23--A double funeral with services at 9 o'clock this morning at the Catholic church in Depue was held for John Kuss and Joseph Pauline, business men, who went to their deaths when their automobile truck was struck by a westbound passenger train at Sullivan's crossing early Tuesday night. Following the services the church interment was made at the Austrian cemetery north of Depue.

The coroner's inquest in the case was held yesterday, when members of the train crew returned to give their testimony. At the conclusion of the investigation a verdict of accidental death was returned.

(Daily Republican-Times, Ottawa, Illinois, Wednesday, November 21, 1923, submitted by Georgea Sharkey)




Copyright Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved