McCLELLAND, John.—Within a half mile of where he now lives adjoining the village of Astoria, John McClelland was born on his father’s old homestead, March 25, 1840. No native son of the township, whose pleasure and mission it has been to follow the footsteps of his sire, has better maintained the personal honor and public-spirited characteristics of the best class of pioneers, or more forcefully and persistently projected the usefulness of his family into a later and more progressive period than has this popular farmer of Section 24. In his youth Mr. McClelland had average advantages and opportunities. His preliminary education was of the practical kind to be had in the district schools, and with this foundation he has persistently pursued the by-ways of knowledge through the medium of books and periodicals. To him farming is both congenial and profitable, and within it are compensations for the finer qualities of mind and heart. His appreciation of land tillage waned temporarily during his fifteenth year, when he sought release from the ceaseless round of duties on his father’s farm in a general store in Astoria, where he served as clerk two years. At the age of seventeen he was back again in the country, and at the age of eighteen assumed entire control of the property upon which his father had settled in the early ‘30’s. In 1865 he was united in marriage to Ann Hopkins, who was born in Ohio in 1838, a daughter of G. D. Hopkins, and of this union there are four children: Laura N., wife of Andrew Mummert, a farmer of Astoria Township; Esther H., wife of J. S. Carter, of Astoria; Albert J., a resident of Cuba, Ill., and Edna, wife of A. P. Bubb, of Peoria. One child died in infancy.
Two years after his marriage, in 1867, Mr. McClelland purchased eighty acres of land on Section 23, Astoria Township, which was in a raw and run-down state, and the sole equipment of which was a dilapidated frame dwelling. His industry created a transformation of this property and in time he added another eighty acres adjoining the village on the south, and now has one of the most beautiful and highly cultivated tracts of land in the township. His home is well built and comfortable, his barns large and convenient and his implements, fences and general improvements give indication of a progressive, practical and inquiring mind. For the past twenty years he has been raising Poland China hogs, and he also raises high-grade cattle and Percheron horses. Mr. McClelland was the first man in the township to sell agricultural implements.
On February 17, 1872, the first wife of Mr. McClelland died an on April 8, 1874, he married Pauline M. Bartholow, daughter of Jasper and Olive (Saverns) Bartholow, Illinois settlers of 1858. Mrs. McClelland was born in Knox County, Ohio, and is the mother of three children: Emory C., who died January 28, 1898; Robert C., born February 14, 1878, married Veda Conner, December 14, 1899, has two children—Mildred J. and Martha G.—and lives on the old home place in Astoria Township, and Myron Jasper, born September 11, 1884, living at home. In political affiliation Mr. McClelland is a Prohibitionist, but in the absence of candidates representing his own party does not confine himself to either Republicans or Democrats. For the past forty-five years he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and towards this, as well as towards many popular causes, he has observed unfailing and wise generosity. He is one of the very liberal-minded and progressive men of the community, and as a citizen and agriculturist has evidenced qualities worthy of admiration and emulation.
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!