STANLEY, Charles H. – For two years lacking half a century Charles H. Stanley has been a resident of Canton, this county, and during the greater part of that time has been identified with the building interests of the town. To his skill and ability are due many of the imposing and substantial structures now occupied as residences or used for business, and evidences are abundant of his having contributed very largely to the generally pleasing architectural aspect of the town. In addition to thoroughly understanding his business Mr. Stanley had the faculty of commanding excellent service from others, and as a large employer of labor won a reputation for great consideration and tactfulness. He at all times has been the broadminded and thoroughly earnest citizen.
Mr. Stanley comes of not only excellent but cultured parentage, his father, Robert F. Stanley, also a native of England, having been a minister in the Church of England. His mother formerly was Caroline Hester, daughter of John Hester. Charles H. was born in Buckinghamshire, England, February 10, 1834, and when three years old was brought to America by his parents, settling for a brief time in New York City, but afterward moving to Rochester, the same State. Here the father died in 1848, when his son was fourteen years old, leaving besides the latter three children to the care of his wife. After Charles had completed his education in the public schools of Rochester he served an apprenticeship as carpenter to his uncle, Charles H. Stanley, with whom he remained three years, and thereafter went to Cleveland, Ohio, to work at his trade for another uncle. Discerning brighter business prospects in the Central West, he visited first Havana, Ill., in 1856, but the following year came to Canton, which since has been his home. His energy and ability soon found recognition on a small scale, but as his work became his advertisement, it was not long before his prospects of success were practically assured.
While a resident of Havana, Ill., Mr. Stanley was united in marriage to Nancy Meeker, who died in 1861, leaving a son, Charles C., who is now an Alderman of Canton. The second wife was formerly Dorenda Bybee, a daughter of James Bybee, an early settler of Fulton County. Of the second union there is a daughter, Luella J., wife of Jacob Abbott, a prominent attorney of Canton. Mrs. Dorenda Stanley died in 1901. December 25, 1905, Mr. Stanley married Mrs. M. E. Richardson, widow of Captain Richardson, of Milwaukee, Wis. Since his first voting days Mr. Stanley has been a stanch Democrat, and though unsolicited, he has been honored with several elective offices, among that of Alderman of the Fourth and Fifth Wards. For years he has been prominent in fraternal circles, and is a member of the Morning Star Lodge, No. 734, A. F. and A. M.; Canton Chapter, R. A. M., and the Knights of Pythias. He is a man of strong and upright character, has lent solidity and worth to the city of his adoption and is now living retired in comfort and honor.
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!