Sq - Sz
|Charles G. Stafford||Ozias G. Strong|
|Charles H. Stanley||Solomon Strouse|
|Phineas C. Stearns||William G. Swartz|
|James Steele||Milburne Swearingen|
|William Stephens||C. R. Swegle|
|J. S. Stetson||I. L. Swegle|
|Eli Stevenson||M. B. Swegle|
|R. B. Stevenson||Major K. Sweney|
|J. Morgan Stewart||John Swigart|
|John Still||George Swinger|
|D. Stirrat||William M. Swisher|
|John Stockbarger||Charles W. Switzer|
|James Stockdale||George Switzer|
|James Strode||Jacob Switzer|
|Dr. William Strode||Jesse T. Switzer|
|Wm. S. Strode||William Switzer|
|Jesse Strong||Jacob Swope|
Charles G. Staffordhas a very fine location on section 32, Vermont Township, where he has successfully prosecuted his calling for more than thirty years, and is entitled to recognition as a pioneer on account of what he has accomplished. He is of New England birth and antecedents, and was born in Apponaug, R. I., June 10, 1817, to Thomas R. and Sarah (Taylor) Stafford who were natives and residents of that place till their death when quite old. The Stafford family came originally from England. The father was a sailor and a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He and his wife reared the following children: Thomas R., who died in Vermont Township, leaving two sons and one daughter; Europa, who married Marshall G. Freeman, a farmer of Vermont; William, of Rhode Island, a painter by trade, who is married and has one son and a daughter; John R., of Natick R. I., who is married but has no children; Charles G.; Sarah, wife of Willard Perce; Henry, a carpenter of Charleston, S. C., who married and had two daughters and who is now living with his second wife.
Back to Top
Charles H. Stanley,
contractor and builder of Canton, has been connected with the building interests
of this county for many years, and is well and favorably known. He was born in
Buckinghamshire, England, February 10, 1834. His parents, Robert F. and Caroline
(Hester) Stanley, emigrated to the United States when our subject was three
years old. They staid a short time in New York City, and thence went to
Rochester, in the same State. The father died there in 1848, leaving his wife
with three children to care for. He was a son of an Episcopalian minister, and
was educated by the Church of England. His wife was a daughter of John Hester.
The subject of this sketch was the only son of his parents. He was a lad of fourteen years when he had the misfortune to lose his father. His school days were passed in Rochester, N. Y. After the completion of his education, he learned the trade of a carpenter with his uncle, Charles H. Stanley, with whom he remained three years. Upon the expiration of that time he went to Cleveland, Ohio, to work with another uncle at the same trade. In 1856 he drifted West to Havana, Ill., and in 1857 came to Canton, Ill., of which he has since been a prominent resident. Soon after he came here he began business as a contractor and builder, and has since followed it actively. He is a skilled workman, and knows well what to require of those who work under him, and he possesses much executive ability, and has done finely at his business. Many of the principal business buildings in Canton were erected under his direction, as well as numerous dwellings.
Mr. Stanley has been twice married. While he was residing in Havana, Ill., he was wedded to Miss Nancy Meeker, of that city, who died in 1861, leaving one child, Charles C. Mr. Stanley’s present wife was Dorenda Bybee, a daughter of James Bybee, an old settler of the county. One daughter has been born of this marriage, Luella J., wife of Jacob Abbott, a prominent attorney of Canton.
Mr. Stanley is a straightforward, prompt and methodical man of business, and his success has contributed to the upbuilding of Canton. He is a member of Morning Star Lodge, No. 734, A. F. & A. M., and also belongs to Canton Chapter R. A. M., and to the K. of P. In politics he gives stanch support to the Democratic party. His fellow-Democrats have sought his assistance in the guidance of the municipal government, and he is at present a member of the City Council, and Alderman of the Fourth Ward. His residence is on Maple Street, and there he and his family have a home replete with comfort. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 792-793, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
Phineas C. Stearns is a native of Lawrence county, N. Y., and is the son of Phineas and Martha (Cooper) Stearns, the former of Barttleboro, Vt., and his mother of Connecticut. They came to this county in 1836 and located in Canton. P. C. was educated at Cazenovia Institute, New York. He has been Associate County Judge, County Commissioner, and Justice of the Peace for nearly 40 years. He was married in this county in 1836 to Hannah Rawalt, and has a family of 3 children,--Mary E., wife of Wm. H. Trites; Randolph H. and Eva May. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 570, Canton Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
James M. Steele, confectioner, Astoria. This gentleman is a native of Ohio. His father, John M. Steele, was a physician, and was also born in the Buckeye State; his wife, Miss Mary E. Parks, was born in the same State. When James attained his third year his parents moved to Ill., and settled in Astoria, where James received a good common-school education. For two years he served as township Collector. In 1877 he entered into his present business, and has met with good success. In 1878 he was married to Miss Susan Palmer, daughter of Jacob Palmer. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 462, Astoria Township section, submitted by Carla Finley)
Back to Top
a retired farmer residing in Astoria, is one whose life presents a picture of
persistent industry crowned with financial success. He has accumulated a fine
property, surrounded his loved ones with every comfort, and now in their midst
is enjoying the inherited ease and leisure won by his years of industry. His
landed estate consists of five hundred acres of finely-improved pasture and
timber land in Woodland Township, besides two hundred and forty acres of swamp
land on the Illinois River bottom, together with the commodious grounds which
surround his pleasant dwelling.
Mr. Stephens is of southern birth and ancestry. His grandparents, Rev. John and Ellen (Riordan) Stephens, were natives of Virginia, whither the former removed to Kentucky in early manhood becoming a pioneer settler of Campbell County. He bought a tract of timer land six miles from Covington, and devoted a portion of his time to clearing it and the remainder to the spread of the Gospel. He organized societies in different parts of the State, doing a noble work in promulgating the doctrines of the Baptist Church on the frontier. He and his wife died on the farm which was their home for many years. The parents of Mr. Stephens were among the earliest settlers of Booneville. For some time after they settled there the Indians were numerous and hostile and the few settlers built a stockade in which the families gathered for protection. When the men went to the fields they always carried their guns with them, and at various times while the men kept guard the women would tend the gardens.
James Stephens, one of the members of the family of this worthy couple, was the second son of [sic and] the father of our subject, who was born in Campbell County, Ky., in the year 1801, and continued to reside there until 1836. He then, with his wife and four children, emigrated to Illinois, the family journeying in a wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen with a horse in the lead. They brought their household goods with them, camping by the way, and in June reached their destination in McDonough County. After residing in Industry Township two years they changed their residence to this county. Mr. Stephens purchased one hundred acres of timber land on section 22, Woodland Township, for which he paid $3 per acre. To this landed estate he added from time to time until he possessed nearly four hundred acres, the greater portion being improved and pasture land. He was very industrious and possessed of good judgment and prudent habits, hence his prosperity. He resided on the home farm until his death, November 27, 1876.
The maiden name of the mother of our subject was Margaret Peck, married in 1826. Like her husband she was a native of Campbell County, Ky., and of Virginia parentage. Her paternal grandfather was a native of Germany, who came to America in Colonial days. Her father, Peter Peck, removed from the Old Dominion to the county in which his daughter was born, when that region was very sparsely settled, and assisted in its development. He served in the War of 1812 in Capt. Dick Johnson’s company under Gen. Shelby, fought in the battle of the Thames and saw Tecumseh fall. The regiment disbanded at Malden, Canada, and he having lost his horse a day or two before, was obliged to walk home. It was in the winter season and he suffered extremely, freezing his feet so that he was a cripple ever afterward. He was a farmer by occupation. He finally removed to McDonough County, Ill., where he spent his last years. His wife, formerly Mary Beaver, a native of Virginia, was the daughter of a German gentleman who married a native of Virginia and died either there or in Kentucky.
The mother of our subject was a devoted parent, carefully rearing her ten children, on whom were bestowed the names of William, Mary, John H., Peter, Enoch, Ellen, Joseph, George, Angeline and Francis Marion. She breathed her last at the home of the daughter in McDonough County and her mortal remains were interred beside those of her devoted companion in the cemetery of Woodland Township.
The natal day of our subject was July 24, 1828, and his birthplace Campbell County, Ky. Having been eighty [sic] years old when he accompanied his parents to this State, he can recall the incidents of the overland journey. At that time wild game was plentiful and for some time afterward. As soon as large enough to shoulder a gun he joined in the chase and has killed many a deer in the confines of this county. He made the best of every opportunity afforded to secure an education, attending the pioneer schools assiduously in the winter season. The schoolhouse was of a primitive fashion, built of logs, with earth and stick chimney, a huge fireplace, a home-made writing desk around the wall, and slab benches.
Mr. Stephens resided in Woodland Township until 1853, the, April 3, with a family from Ipava, started with an ox-team for Oregon. They mad their way across Missouri, crossing the Missouri River at St. Joseph, traversed the plains and climbed the mountains, crossing the Rocky Mountains the 4th of July, and safely arriving in Lane County after seven months’ travel. The territory included in the populous States of Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado and Wyoming was at that time inhabited by no white settlers, but was the home of numerous Indian tribes and abounded in deer, antelope, elk and buffalo. The herds of the latter encountered by the traveling party were innumerable. Our subject remained in Lane County until February, 1854, then went to Coos diggings on the coast where he prospected with but little success until spring. In April he returned to Lane County, thence going to Yreca, Cal., where he was engaged in mining until September, 1858. He then returned to his former home via the Isthmus and New York City.
Mr. Stephens spent the winter in Woodland Township and in the spring of 1859 went to the Territory of Kansas, where he bought five hundred acres of land located in Linn County, but sojourned there only a short time. The following year he again left his home in this State, bought more land in Kansas and then made another trip across the plains, this time to Colorado. There he prospected and mined for gold but without very great success. He became the owner of one hundred and fifty square yards on the present site of Leadville, where the “black sand,” as the miners termed it, was very hard to separate form the gold and was afterward found to be silver ore. In the fall of the year he sold his interest there for a small sum and returning to the State bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Woodland Township, upon which he resided until 1864. He then removed to Kerton Township, but a year later again took up his abode in Woodland Township, where he continued to live until 1873. He next rented his farm, removed to McDonough County, bought one hundred and sixty acres in Mound Township and carried on his agricultural work there until 1890, when he determined to retire from active labor, and purchased his present residence.
Politically Mr. Stephens has always been a Democrat; he is now a member of the County Central Committee. In McDonough County he represented Mound Township on the County Board of Supervisors several terms, also Woodland, his future home, and was recognized as a faithful and efficient member of the Board. He is one of the most widely informed men of the county, being a great reader, a deep thinker, and in the habit of weighing well the items of information which he gathers in their bearings upon the various departments of labor and existence. An hour spent in his society is fruitful of entertainment and instruction, and many friends are pleased to avail themselves of opportunities to converse with him.
The family of Mr. Stephens includes a wife and six children, the latter bearing the names of Margaret, Ettie, James W., Helena, Olney, and Joseph W. Mrs. Stephens was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1840, and was known in her maidenhood as Mary Welker. Her father, David Welker, a native of the Keystone State, was quite young when his parents removed to Ohio, locating near Milwood. He remained in that State until 1853, then came to Central Illinois, spending the remainder of his life in Kerton Township, this county.
Mr. Welker married Margaret Darling, a native of Ohio, who, like her husband, spent her declining years in this county. Her father, Abraham Darling, was born in Virginia, and his father, William Darling, was either of Scotch ancestry or born in Scotland. The latter located in the Shenandoah Valley, securing large tracts of land there. During the early settlement of Ohio he removed thither, purchasing a large tract of land in Knox County, where he spent the remainder of his days. Abraham Darling inherited considerable property and with others established the Owl Creek Bank, one of the earliest banking institutions in that section of the county. When it collapsed he was obliged to settle all claims, being the only stockholder of any wealth. He resided in Knox County until 1863, then came to Illinois and during the remainder of his life lived in this county.
Miss Mary Welker, now Mrs. Stephens, was thirteen years old when she came to this county with her parents. Four years later she was married to Adam Markley, a native of Ohio, who was but a child when, in 1840-41, his parents, David and Rebecca (Butler) Markley, came hither. He was reared in Kerton Township, where at the time of his marriage he owned a farm upon which he located, living there until his death in 1860. The marriage resulted in the birth of two children, one of whom died in infancy. The other, Mary L., is the wife of Charles Combs and resides in Elk County, Kan.; she and her mother still own the Markley homestead of one hundred and eighty acres. The marriage of our subject and Mrs. Mary Markley was celebrated February 21, 1864, and neither has had cause to regret the event. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 687-690, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
Stetson. Of the citizens of Farmington, few are so well and none
more favorably known than the subject of this sketch, who has resided in this
city since the spring of 1856. During this long period he has made many warm
friends, who hold him in the highest esteem for his integrity of character and
genial disposition. After a prosperous career in the commercial world he now
rests from active labor and is passing his last days in peace and quietude. He
is pre-eminently a self-made man, meriting great praise for the noble manner in
which he has at all times overcome obstacles placed in his way. He was
eighty-five years of age on January 10, 1890, and is now unable to care for
himself, but receives the best of care from his devoted wife.
Before giving the principal facts in the life of Mr. Stetson, a few words with reference to his lineage will not be amiss. His father, Oliver Stetson, was a carpenter and joiner by trade, and with his parents, three brothers and two sisters emigrated from Connecticut in 1800 and located in Otsego County, N. Y. In the spring of 1804 he was united in marriage with Mary Stewart, the daughter of John Stewart, and they immediately commenced housekeeping. A few months later he took his wife and household goods to her father's house, while he went South to seek employment for the winter season. He proceeded as far as St. Francisville, Mo., and there died.
In the home of his grandfather Stewart, the subject of this sketch was born January 10, 1805, and under the tender care of these loving relatives passed his youth until he was able to care for himself. His mother subsequently married Aldrich Balcom, by whom she had seven children, all deceased. She passed away in 1852 at the age of sixty-five years. Nothing of special interest occurred in the life of our subject until the fall of 1820, when he became interested in the subject of religion and related his experience to the First Baptist Church at Butternuts, Otsego County, N. Y., and was received into its fellowship and baptized by Elder Adams, their pastor, January 7, 1821. Since that time he has lived a consistent Christian life. In 1840 he was elected a Deacon to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Deacon Lull.
In his youth our subject attended the district schools and was engaged in various kinds of work. In the spring of 1826 he and Mr. Chapin engaged as partners in the wheelwright trade under the firm name of Chapin & Stetson. They were thus employed in Nobleville for two years. Mr. Stetson was united in marriage April 27, 1826, with Miss Eliza Robinson, and began their wedded life in a house rented of Mr. Chapin. In 1828, Mr. Stetson moved to what is now known as Stetsonville, and buying a house and fifteen acres of land, built the following year, a shop where he manufactured wagons, sleighs and coffins. Finding his house too small for his family and help, in 1836 he purchased a more commodious residence and sixty-three acres of land.
Early in the year 1838, Mr. Stetson sold his fifteen-acre tract, and fitting one room of his house for a store, purchased a small stock of dry-goods, etc., and commenced in the mercantile business, which he carried on in connection with farming and the manufacture of potash. He subsequently built a good store and dwelling house at a cost of $2,500 and later purchased two hundred and fourteen acres of adjoining land, and erected house and barn, and other buildings suitable for dairying. In the fall of 1854 he resolved to locate in the West, and upon his arrival in Farmington, Ill., was so well pleased with the land and the prospects that he purchased of A. D. Reed a store for $2,000 cash. Here he commenced merchandising in partnership with his son, in the fall of 1855 the firm being J. S. Stetson & Son. They were prosperous, doing a good business until 1860, when the partnership was dissolved and the stock and store sold to George Stetson for $8,500.
Upon the arrival of the family in Farmington in the spring of 1856, Mr. Stetson purchased a house and two acres of land of Mr. Underhill for $2,000; this residence he still occupies. Mrs. Stetson died of consumption February 9,1863, aged sixty years. She was the mother of seven children, namely Mary Jane, born August 23, 1827 and died at the age of twenty-two years; George, born November 30, 1829; David R., December 5, 1831; Fannie M., March 8, 1834; Sally Ann, May 6, 1836; Charles A., May 4, 1840 and John Lee, January 7, 1846.
On June 14, 1864, Mr. Stetson was united in the holy bonds of wedlock with Mrs. Elvira McCollum, with whom he had been formerly acquainted in Morris, Otsego County, N. Y. She was feeble, and lived but a short time after their union, dying of consumption June 23, 1854, aged fifty-two years. Mr. Stetson afterward contracted a matrimonial alliance with Mrs. Mary Maxfield, a resident of Springfield, Otsego County, N. Y. They were married May 16, 1866 and came immediately to Farmington, accompanied by the aged mother of Mrs. Stetson, to whom they gave the most devoted care until her death, February 28, 1883, at the great age of ninety-two years.
During the many years of their happy wedded life, Mrs. Stetson has been true companion of our subject and an untiring worker in his behalf. She is a member of the Baptist Church at Farmington, and has contributed liberally to its support, at one time giving $230 to pay the balance due on the parsonage. She was born in Warren County, N. Y. and received a common school education. She became the mother of two children—Orlando and Minnie, both of whom died in youth. She is the friend of temperance and everything calculated to advance the interests of the county.
Mr. Stetson is highly respected as a man of probity and honor. When be came to Farmington he found the Baptist Church weak and unable to support a pastor, but he and his wife and daughter joined the feeble band and he has since served as Deacon and has been one of the main supporters of the church in supply preaching and in building the house of worship at a cost of $5,000. He is well-known in the Otsego (New York) Association, and in the Peoria Association, having served the latter as Treasurer for about eight years. He was originally a Democrat and voted that ticket until 1840 since which time he has supported the Republican party and its principles. He served four years as Police Magistrate and in other ways aided the thriving town of Farmington. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 195-197, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Eli B. Stevenson is worthy a notice in a work like this. He was born in Ross Co., O., July 20, 1833, and was brought to this county 5 years later, where he has continued to reside. His father and mother were John and Catherine –Black- Stevenson, of Maryland. Mr. S. was married in ’56, Oct. 30th, at Cuba, to Miss Ellen Waldron, who was born in Warren Co., Ill., in 1840. He is an active member of the M. E. Church. He is one of the Trustees and Steward, and has served as Superintendent of the Sunday school. Mr. S. has a nice farm on sec. 36, which he and his good wife have made themselves. When they settled there it was in a wilderness. P. O., Bryant. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 877, Putman Township section, submitted by Carla Finley)
Eli B. Stevenson, whose sketch now claims attention, is one of those companionable and agreeable men whom it is a pleasure to know, and who in all instances rank high in the estimation of the community in which they reside. During the late war he received terrible persecution at the hands of his political foes, but owning to his bravery he managed to escape from disastrous effects.
The parents of our subject were John and Catherine (Black) Stevenson, natives of Maryland and Virginia respectively. They were married in the Buckeye State and made their home there until 1838, when they came to Illinois, settling on the farm in this county, now occupied by the son of whom we write. It was at that time raw land. It was cleared and placed under quite good improvement before the death of the father of our subject, although the family dwelling for a number of years was a log house. In those days a well-built structure of this kind was looked upon as a home of comfort and undoubtedly afforded as pleasant a shelter as dwellings of more modern construction. The parents of our subject were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for half a century and the father held the positions of Trustee, Class-Leader, Steward and Sunday-school Superintendent at various times. Politically, he was an old-line Whig and later a Republican. He was a strong advocate of temperance and much interested in the progress of education and other civilizing influences. He served as School Director many years. He died in 1873 and his wife a year later. They were the parents of twelve children, six of whom are now living, and Mr. Stevenson had four children by a former marriage.
Our subject was born in Highland County, Ohio. July 20, 1833. He came with his parents to Illinois when only five years old, and received his educational training at the subscription schools here. His first schoolhouse was a log cabin with greased paper windows, without any floor, and planks fixed on pins to serve as desks. He passed his childhood and early youth on the home farm, except during fourteen months, and has at all times and in various ways assisted his father. He commenced a business career for himself at the age of twenty-three.
Mr. Stevenson married Miss Ellen Waldron, daughter of Joseph and Celinda (Lord) Waldron, both natives of New York. The marriage took place on the 30th of October, 1857. Mrs. Stevenson’s parents at one time made their home in New York, and afterwards in Illinois, the father dying in 1850 and the mother in 1861. To them were born eight children of whom Mrs. Stevenson is the only survivor. She was born August 18, 1840, in Warren County, Ill., and received a common-school education, mostly during the winter months, and going two miles to school.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson settled in Lewistown Township and remained there until 1858, at which time they returned to Putman Township and have since continued to make it their home. To them have been born no children, but with the usual kindness that characterizes them both, they have reared and educated a number of children, who were deprived by death and other sad circumstances of their natural protectors.
The subject of our sketch has one hundred and one acres of valuable land, eighty acres of which are under the plow and all improved, he having cleared twenty-five acres of it himself. In 1873 he built a barn which cost $750, in addition to his personal labor. His residence was built in 1877, at a cost of $1,250. It is a two-story frame house, 16x28 feet, with an L 14x24 feet, and a basement of the same size. They have a valuable orchard which they planted and attended to themselves. Mr. Stevenson in connection with farming is interested in stock-raising, owning a number of Short-horns, Norman horses, and Poland-China hogs.
Our subject and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Stevenson has been Steward, Trustee and Class Leader. From an early period in his life he has been interested in religious matters and united himself to the church in the year 1857. He attends services at Wright’s church, which is under the charge of Rev. W. R. Wiley, of Lewistown Township. Both himself and wife are greatly interested in Sunday-school work, he being Superintendent of same and by their faithfulness and large influence they are enabled to benefit all religious causes. Mr. Stevenson is serving his thirtieth year as School Director, and has served five successive terms as Township Assessor, being elected each time by a large majority in a section where there is usually a Democratic majority. He is an active politician and a strong supporter of the Republican party, having cast his first vote for Gen. John C. Fremont. He has at various times been a delegate to the county conventions, and this year to the State Republican Convention at Springfield. He is an advocate of temperance, and was a member of the Union League.
It would be difficult to picture greater esteem, a more sincere friendship than is accorded to both Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson throughout the length and breadth of this township. In social circles they are ornaments, and everywhere gladly received, while to the poor and unfortunate they are, indeed, “ministering angels.” (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, page 859, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
R. B. Stevenson, lawyer, was born in Ross county, O., Aug. 20, 1825; began the study of law under the able direction of Judge Winston Paul at Hillsborough, Highland county, O., in 1846; was admitted to the bar in 1848, and began the practice of his profession in his native city, and edited the Hillsborough Gazette. In 1854 he associated himself with the Bar of Jackson county, and was the choice of the people to represent Jackson and Vinton counties to the Legislature in 1857, and served one term as Prosecuting Attorney in Highland county. For two years after his settling in Lewistown he was associated with Lewis Ross, which partnership was dissolved two years later. In July 1, 1879, he removed to Canton, where his ability as a lawyer is well known, and he is building up a lucrative practice. He was married to Miss Catherine B. Kennedy, a native of Va., an estimable lady who died in 1856. Of their several children one is living, Edwin lee. His present wife was Maria Louisa L. Kelly, daughter of W. B. Proctor and widow of W. B. Kelly. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 570 & 573, Canton Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
J. Morgan Stewart, son of the late Richard Stewart, of Cass township, was born Sept. 15, 1844, in Licking Co., O.; served in Co. E, 121st O. Inf.; served one year as clerk in the Inspector General’s department; was in the battles of Chickasaw and Kenesaw Mountains, the regiment losing half of its men in each engagement. He was one of 19 in his company of 106 who served the entire time without furlough or discharge. While in the army his parents removed to Indiana in 1865, whither he followed. His parents came to this county in 1865 and he in 1866. He married Frances Stenbeck, Oct. 23, 1877. His father took a firm stand on the side of temperance all his life; never sued a man, and never was sued, which principles of punctuality, honesty and lenity toward debtors he ever taught his children. He was a worker in the M. E. Church, and died May 18, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. S. are members of the M. E. Church. He is engaged in the pursuit of farming and stock-raising. Has served as Collector and Supervisor for Cass township. P. O., Cuba. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 598, Cass Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
James M. Stewart, of Lewistown, County Treasurer of Fulton County, is one of its most able and valued civic officials. He is extensively identified with the leading interests of this part of the State as a lumber merchant and as a stock-raiser, the proprietor of one of the best managed and finest farms in Cass Township. He took part in the late Civil War, and his fine military record reflects credit on the soldiery of Illinois who bore arms in that great conflict.
Mr. Stewart was born in Alexandria, Licking Co., Ohio, September 15, 1844. His father, Richard Stewart, was born in Fauquier County, Va., a son of Charles Stewart, who, so far as known, was a native of the same State, coming of a Scotch family that early settled in the Old Dominion. The grandfather of our subject removed to Ohio from Virginia about 1834 and was a pioneer of Licking County, where his remaining days were passed. His son Richard was reared in Virginia, and went to Ohio at the same time as his father. He had learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner in his native State, and was engaged in it in his new home. In 1851 he went to California by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and there he tried mining, but ill-health prevented his following that pursuit, and he returned to Ohio after a little more than a year’s absence. He then gave his attention to farming, renting land at first, and then buying a farm, and actively engaging in the work of carrying it on until he came to this State in 1865. He bought a farm in Cass Township, this county, after his arrival, and in the comfortable home that he established thereon his useful life was brought to a close May 18, 1879.
The mother of our subject is now a welcome inmate of his home. Her maiden name was Philena Twining, and she was born in Licking County, Ohio, October 15, 1821. Her parents were Hiram and Lovey (Pease) Twining, natives respectively of Massachusetts and Maine, and pioneers of Licking County. Three of the five children born of her marriage are now living: Austin W., who resides at Jacksonville; our subject; Annie, who married William H. Failing and now resides in Furnas County, Neb.
James M. Stewart was fourteen years old when his parents moved to Morrow County, and there he grew to man’s estate, gleaning his education in the public schools of Ohio. He assisted his father in his farm labors, and remained with his parents until, at the youthful age of seventeen years, he enlisted in the defense of the Stars and Stripes, becoming a member of Company E, One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio Infantry, August 26, 1862, and serving until after the close of the war, receiving his discharge papers June 18, 1865. He was in Steadman’s Brigade at the battle of Chickamauga, and after that fought at Missionary Ridge, and did brave service in the principal engagements with the enemy during Sherman’s Atlanta campaign, and assisted in the capture of that city, and was active in the battle of Jonesboro. After that contest he was detailed as officer’s clerk in the inspector’s department at Division headquarters, accompanied the command to the sea, and on through the Carolinas and Richmond to Washington, where he took part in the grand parade that signalized the advent of peace, and thus closed his experiences of the hardships and privations of a soldier’s life in that most terrible war.
In January, 1866, Mr. Stewart came to Fulton County, and was engaged in farming with his father in Cass Township until the latter’s death, when he bought the farm from the other heirs, and continued to operate it with good financial success until 1882. In that year he entered upon his career as a public official, and rented his farm and moved into the city. He still retains possession of the farm, which contains three hundred acres of well-improved land supplied with substantial buildings, good farming machinery, and everything necessary for the profitable prosecution of agriculture. He superintends the management of the place, which is admirably adapted to stock-raising purposes, to which he devotes it largely, being extensively engaged in that branch. He is also prosperously carrying on the lumber business with Mr. McDowell, with whom he formed a partnership in 1889, and they have here a large, well-equipped yard, and already have built up a good trade.
Mr. and Mrs. Stewart, who were married in 1877, have established here one of the many cozy, pleasant homes for which Lewistown is noted, and their abode is the center of a gracious hospitality, which attracts to it a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, as the social standing of our subject and his amiable wife is among the best people in the city. Mrs. Stewart was born in Delaware County, Ohio, and is a daughter of William and Rhoda Stenbeck, her maiden name having been Frances Stenbeck.
Mr. Stewart is a gentleman of much force and decision of character, prompt in action and ready of recourse, and possessing fine business talents. These marked traits have brought him prominently before the public in two of the most important official capacities in the county. In 1882 he was elected Sheriff of the county, and served in that capacity with distinction four years, his invincible courage, tact and cool judgment eminently qualifying him for the position. In 1886 he was elected County Treasurer, and is conducting the finances of the county with rare skill and to the perfect satisfaction of all concerned without regard to party. In politics his sentiments are in harmony with the principles of the Republican party. Socially, he is connected with Kenneth Lodge, No. 146, K. of P.; and with Lewistown Post, M. W. A.; and he is a member of Thomas Layton Post, No. 121, G. A. R. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, page 567, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
John Still is a native of Germany and came to this county in ’50, and has resided here since. He was born on the 2d of Feb., ’27. His parents were John and Mary Still, Germans. John learned to speak English at Sunday-school. He first learned cabinet-making and carpentering, but is now farming, and owns 2 farms, both of which he made by his own exertion. He was joined in matrimony with Rebecca Bay, a native of Ireland, who was born in the year 1828. They are the parents of 3 children: Arthur, Reson, John and William D. His postoffice is Civer. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 877, Putman Township section, submitted by Carla Finley)
Back to Top
D. Stirrat, merchant, Cuba, was born in Scotland, Feb. 23, '36, and is the son of James and Kate Stirrat. He came into this county in '65, and has engaged largely in coal-mining and has his coal works at Cuba, where, besides this interest and running a general store, he owns the hotel of the place. He was married in '58, and has 2 children, — Elizabeth and James. Mr. S. has succeeded in life by his own personal exertions and energy. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 877-878, Putman Township section, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
John Stockbarger, farmer, sec. 16; P. O., Cuba, was born in Pennsylvania on the 29th of Aug., 1811, and is the son of Michael and Catharine Stockbarger. He came to this county in 1856. He has been exceedingly unfortunate in meeting with accidents. Aug. 20, 1872, he was run over by the cars, breaking an arm and a leg. Again in 1878 he was run over. In 1844 he was united in marriage to Mary Watson, who bore him 7 children—4 boys and 3 girls, all living, and 3 of them are married. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 878, Putman Township section, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
James Stockdale. A simple narration of facts regarding the life of an individual is undoubtedly the best biographical history that can be written of him. Therefore we shall not endeavor to elaborate upon the incidents in the career of the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. His present home is in Canton, in or near which place he has been living about forty years. He has now partially retired from business affairs, deriving his principal income from loaning money and the rents on his real estate.
Mr. Stockdale is a native of Yorkshire, England, having been born April 29, 1814. His father, William Stockdale, was of Scotch descent and born at Kirkbourn, near Driffield. He emigrated to America in May, 1830, and died the following fall, a widow and six children surviving him. The mother of our subject was Mary, daughter of Roger Cook, who died in Cicero, N. Y.
Our subject, who was the eldest child, learned the butcher's trade in Hull, England, and after coming to America worked at it in Syracuse and Buffalo, N. Y. He also spent two years on the lakes as mate of a schooner. He was married in Goodrich, Upper Canada, to Miss Harriet Cutting, a native of Sussex, England, Her father, Sidney Cutting, was in the employ of the Canada Company, building up a town and also laboring as a boat builder. Soon after his marriage Mr. Stockdale went to Columbus, Ohio, securing employment in Mitchell's pork house. After a time he opened a meat market on the Ohio canal at the junction of the Columbus Feeder, keeping the stand two years and furnishing the boats with meat. He next went to St. Louis, Mo., in 1839, remaining in that city nearly ten years.
The next removal of Mr. Stockdale was to Canton, Ill., where, in 1850, he opened the first regular meat market in the place; although he had been there in the fall of 1848-49 slaughtering hogs. This he carried on until the fall of 1854, when he formed a partnership with James H. Stipp and Thompson Maple. During the winter of 1854 the company packed about fifteen thousand hogs, the proceeds of the sale amounting to nearly $200,000. Mr. Stockdale was engaged in this enterprise during the winters until 1859 when he bought the interest of his partners. He carried it on alone about ten years; then sold the establishment. It was some years afterwards burned. He then carried on a meat shop a few years, and farmed.
Having invested in a tract of land not far from the town, Mr. Stockdale removed his family thither in 1865, giving his attention to agriculture until the fall of 1877. He then sold the farm, returned to Canton and built a cider mill, which he runs for custom business, making as much as three thousand barrels in a season. He has two large presses with a capacity of one hundred barrels per day and does the grinding and pressing by steam. Except during the season when the mill is in operation he is practically retired from business.
Mr. Stockdale has been twice married, his first companion having born him six children. Of this circle three are now living. Amelia P. is Assistant Superintendent in the Home of the Friendless in Chicago; Phebe H. is the wife of John Hollingsworth whose home is near Monroe City, Mo., eighteen miles west of Hannibal; Albert J. is a telegraph operator on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. The present wife of our subject bore the maiden of Rachael Penny. She was born in England and came to this country in childhood, her home at the time of her marriage being in Canton. This union has resulted in the birth of six children, as follows: Hattie E., a bookkeeper for P. P. Mast & Co., in Peoria; Grace M., wife of Wilton Vandevender; Laura, deceased; Maud, James E., and Mattie, at home.
Mr. Stockdale served as Assistant Township Supervisor two years and was afterward elected Supervisor, serving in that capacity an equal length of time. For several years he was a member of the Odd Fellows order. In political matters he affiliates with the Republican party, being one of the most stanch supporters of the principles laid down in its platform. In the first campaign of Lincoln he organized nearly twenty Union Leagues in Fulton County. Quietly pursuing his course in life, honorably discharging all his obligations, and manifesting an intelligent interest in the affairs of the community, State and nation, he is numbered among the respectable citizens and successful men in this vicinity.
Three of Mr. Stockdale's sons participated in the late war. William C, enlisted in Company H, Seventeenth Illinois Infantry, and received the commission of First Lieutenant; Sidney A., was a member of the Eighth Illinois Infantry, afterward transferred to Gen. Kellogg's corps and appointed Provost Marshal in Tennessee, having his headquarters at Nashville. He was for some time on the staff of Gen. Grant, and was appointed Collector of Internal Revenue for sixteen parishes in Louisiana, which was among the first appointments made by Grant after he became President. When Senator Kellogg was appointed Collector of Customs at New Orleans, Sidney became his Deputy. Albert J., was a drummer boy in the One Hundred and Third Illinois Infantry and served in this capacity until discharged. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 254-255, submitted by Janine Crandell)
James Stockdale, farmer, was born in Yorkshire, Eng., in 1815. His father, W. Stockdale, married Miss Mary Cook, and with their family of 8 children came to the U. S. in 1830. Five of these children are living,--James, John, Taber, Caroline and Ann. James married Harriet Cutting, native of Essex, Eng., by whom he had 6 children. 3 of whom are living,--Albert J., Amelia and Phoebe. His first wife dying he married Miss Rachel Penny, by whom he had 6 children, 5 of whom are living: Hattie, Grace, May, Laura, Maud, Edwin J. and Mattie. Mr. S. went to St. Louis in 1839, and in 1849 came to Canton and opened the first meat market here. In 1854 he went into partnership with Stipp & Maple and carried on a packing-house slaughtering 15,000 hogs in one winter. In 1864 sold to Mr. McCall for $10,000. He now lives near Canton where he has 2 large cider-presses. Capt. Sidney A. Stockdale, his eldest son, enlisted in the 8th Ill. Inf. In ’61, and was detailed on Gen. Grant’s staff, promoted to Adjutant of the 7th Cav.; helped get up the 103d regt. And was Capt. of Co. C, and again assigned to Gen. Grant’s staff; was Provost Marshal at Nashville; was Deputy Collector at New Orleans. Traveled for his health in 1864, but died Dec. 25, 1864. Mr. S’s second son was 1st Lieutenant of Co. H., 17th Ill. Inf., and died Aug 27, ’68. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, pages 573-574, Canton Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
James W. Strode, farmer, sec. 32; P. O., Smithfield. He was born in Adams Co., O., in Feb., 1837; came to this country in 1857; was educated in the common schools in this county. Mr. Strode had nothing with which to begin this life, but has managed by hard labor and economy to procure a comfortable home; was married in 1864 to Caroline Irwin, by whom he has had 9 children, - Isaac L., Carrie A., Nancy J., James N., Sarah K., Mahala V., Mary, Wm. D. (deceased), and Ed. V. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 598, Cass Township section, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Dr. William S. Strode. Among the prominent physicians of Fulton County, is the subject of this sketch, who is recognized as a man of superior attainments and one well calculated to add fresh laurels to the profession to which he has devoted his time and talent. His practice is both extensive and lucrative and his patients honor and respect him, as only those are regarded who are the fortunate possessors of some means of benefiting and improving the condition of those who are their patients and friends. He is also a naturalist of renown, having in his library the best works on this subject that are published.
Back to Top
William S. Strode,teacher, Bernadotte, should be mentioned among the public educators of the county. He was born in Fulton County December 8, 1847. His father, Thomas Strode, is among the earliest settlers of the country. Mr. S. was educated at Abingdon and the Commercial College at Quincy, Ill.; enlisted in Co. G., 50th Ill. Vol., Feb., 1864; was mustered out July 3, 1865; was married December 25, 1870, to Miss Amelia Steele, at Astoria, a native of Ohio, and they have had three children, viz: Minefred, Muriel and Walter. Mr. S. has taught school 12 years, one year and a half in Quincy, the rest of the time in this county. Also a good teacher of penmanship. Republican. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, pages 512-513, Bernadotte Township section, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Jesse W. Strongis the editor and proprietor of the Canton Republican, one of the numerous papers of this county which lays just claim to a liberal share of public patronage and enjoys it. The sheet is a six-column, eight-page paper, neatly printed upon a power press and issued on Thursday of each week. It is devoted to the advancement of Independent principles and the political issues of the day are well handled by its editor. Its local columns are well arranged, its items of news are well selected, and in every respect it is a creditable sheet. The plant is owned by Mr. Strong, who purchased it about September 15, 1890. The journal was established in June, 1877, under the name of the Advertiser and conducted independently of political partisanship. The name was afterward changed to the Times and again to the Fulton Republican, the last change being made in 1880 when the present name was adopted. It is now the leading Independent paper of the county.
The gentleman with whose name this sketch is introduced is a native of the city in which he is now carrying on his journalistic labors, having been born April 9, 1859. He is the youngest son of Dr. O. G. and Bethina (Pavey) Strong, of whom a more extended notice will be found elsewhere in this volume. After receiving a fundamental education in the public schools he spent some time in study at Columbus, Ohio, and upon his return to his home took up the newspaper business. Going to St. Louis, Mo., he was employed on the Post-Dispatch and Journal and then having returned to Canton for a time was a member of the force on the Register.
In July, 1880, Mr. Strong went to Buffalo, N. Y., where he held a position on the Courier until December, 1881, when he returned to Canton with his health much impaired. For a few months his chief endeavor was to restore his physical forces to their normal condition, and after regaining his strength he began work on the Canton Register in July, 1882. He held a position in that office practically until July, 1889, when he resigned to take charge of the journal he is now ably conducting.
By reason of his general intelligence, his good breeding and upright character, Mr. Strong is respected by those who enjoy the pleasure of his acquaintance. He is looked upon as one of the rising members of the journalistic profession and one whose power is likely to be felt still more strongly in years to come. He is a member of the social order of Red Men. February 3, 1886, our subject led to the hymeneal altar, Miss Carrie Strong of Union City, Ohio. This cultured young lady is the second daughter of Augustus and Lucina Strong. Of the above union two children have been born; Olive and Bethina. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 237-238, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Ozias G. Strong, M. D.This honored member of the medical profession, whose reputation has been established in Canton for many years, is a native of the Buckeye State. His father, Ozias Strong, Sr., was a farmer and likewise a prominent attorney, serving as a magistrate at Wilkesville forty years. There he breathed his last when in the eighty-fifth year of his age. His father, Horatio Strong, was of English and Irish descent, and a native of Massachusetts, and his mother was of Scotch descent. His wife bore the maiden name of Annis Gregory, and was a native of Connecticut, of Scotch ancestry.
Our subject was born on the parental acres, in Meigs County, Ohio, August 12, 1818. He was reared on the farm, first attending the common schools and then entering Athens Academy, at Athens, Ohio. He began studying medicine with Dr. J. H. Smith, of Meigs County, and after taking a course of lectures at Starling Medical College, Columbus, began his practice in his native county. After three years residence there he removed to St. Louis, Mo., where he continued his professional labors for a short time, subsequently removing to Hannibal to engage in mercantile pursuits. He entered into partnership with Messrs. Smith & Dick, and under the firm name of Smith, Dick & Co. a large business was conducted for three years. Dr. Strong went to LaGrange to engage in the tobacco business, his partners having sold out and left him to sustain a heavy loss. During his residence in Hannibal he was Marshal and also Collector of City Revenue, having been elected to those offices in 1853.
After his removal to LaGrange Dr. Strong was elected Recorder and Police Magistrate. During these years he had changed his views in relation to the practice of medicine, abandoning the theories of the Allopathic school and becoming a convert to those of Homeopathy. After private preparation he entered the Homeopathic Medical College, at St. Louis, form which he was graduated in 1858, immediately opening an office in Canton, where he has since resided. He devoted himself assiduously to the duties of his profession, building up a large practice and proving unusually successful in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases His practice has amounted to more than $80,000 and near $100,000, a large sum for a place of this size. His labor is, of course, not confined to the town itself, but includes a large extent of the surrounding country.
Dr. Strong has been twice married, his first companion having been Miss Bethena E. Pavey, of Hannibal, Mo., whose death took place in this city. She left five children—Jared D., George W., Charles H., Jesse W. and Lizzie L. George W. is now manager of a large book concern in Buffalo, N. Y.; Charles H. is a graduate of the Homeopathic College in New York, and is now practicing medicine in Providence, R.I.; Jesse W., proprietor and editor of the Canton Republican, having purchased the paper September 18, 1890, is mentioned at greater length elsewhere in this volume; Lizzie is the wife of C. H. Atwater, of Quincy, Ill.
The present wife of Dr. Strong bore the maiden name of Maggie Linabery. She was born in Morris County, N. J., and came West with her parents in childhood, growing to maturity in this county. The qualities of her mind and heart fit her for a useful career, and she has as many calls upon her attention as suffice to keep her hands and brain employed. First of all are her home duties, and beyond this her influence extends throughout a large circle.
Dr. Strong is a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, and has been identified with the Masonic fraternity for many years. He is rather conservative in politics, affiliating with the Democratic party. Not only is his professional reputation one of the best, but by reason of his faithful discharge of his duties as a private citizen his excellent character and great intelligence, he is looked upon with great respect by his professional associates and his fellow-citizens in general.
The attention of the reader is directed to the lithographic portrait of Mr. Strong, which may be found on another page. [Note: page 301] (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 303-304, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Dr. O. G. Strong was born in Ohio, Aug. 12, 1818, and is a son of Ozias G. Strong, a farmer, lawyer, and a Magistrate for 30 years at Wilksville. His mother’s maiden name was Anice Gregory. The Strong family came from England to the U. S. in the early history of the country. O. G. was educated in Columbus, and attended medical lectures and practiced the old-school system for several years; then moved to St. Louis, and after practicing there a year moved to Hannibal, to enter into the mercantile business. In 1853 he was elected Marshal and Collector of city revenue, and in ’55 went to La Grange where the following year he was chosen Recorder and Police Magistrate. During his residence in this city he changed his views of the practice of medicine to the homeopathic system, and in 1858 came to Canton and began to practice in the new system. He graduated at the Medical College of St. Louis in 1858; and his third son, C. H. Strong, has just graduated in the New York Medical College, having taken a full course of lectures both in that city and Cincinnati. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 573, Canton Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
whose sketch now claims attention, is one of the representative farmers in
Pleasant Township, and a gentleman highly respected alike for his good business
qualifications and his upright character. His birth occurred in Beaver County,
Pa., on the 2nd of May, 1813, he being a son of Henry and Barbara Strouse. His
paternal grandfather was in the Revolutionary War, and his father was born in
Berks County, Pa., as was also his mother.
Our subject grew to manhood's estate in his native county, spending most of the time on a farm, and when about twenty years of age commenced learning the tanner's trade, being apprenticed for that purpose for nearly two years. He subsequently followed this trade and that of a journeyman for a number of years. He received his education in the early subscription schools of Pennsylvania, where the system at that time was not thorough as at the present time.
In 1842 Mr. Strouse moved to Illinois, living for a short time in Stark County, where he engaged in farming. He moved to Lewistown, and there superintended the tannery of William Proctor, remaining in his employ a number of years. In 1852, our subject went to California, traveling over the plains and being ninety-six days on the way. While in California he turned his attention to gold-mining and during the four years of his sojourn there was financially very successful. However, he failed to find a desirable place for a home and returned to Fulton County in the year 1856, and two years later purchased his present farm. At that time there was a double log house and a log barn on the place, and the land was not cultivated. Naturally, therefore, he had great difficulty in bringing it to its present state of cultivation and prosperity. He built an elegant brick residence in 1868 and replaced the old barn with a very handsome one. His estate embraces one hundred and eighty-three acres of fine farming land and yields every year a fine income.
The subject of our sketch was married in 1850 to Miss Belle Wallace, daughter of Isaiah and Elizabeth Wallace, pioneer settlers of Isabel Township, this county. This marriage was blessed with three children, viz.: Addie, who is at home with her parents; Harry, who resides in this place; and Frank, who is dead.
Mr. Strouse served two terms as Supervisor of Pleasant Township, and served also as Collector. In politics he is a member of the Democratic party, and takes much interest in affairs of public importance. He is a member of the Masonic order at Lewistown, Lodge No. 104. While he is what is commonly designated as a self-made man, he is well educated, and being fond of books is a great reader, and keeps himself thoroughly posted both in literary and political matters. He is a public spirited man and one who delights to advance both his own interests and those of his neighbors. Today he ranks among the wealthy and influential agriculturists of this county, and is surrounded by all the comforts of life, proving the truth of the old assertion that "industry will win in the race for fortune and position." (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 464-465, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
William G. Swartz. Among the goodly number of farmers of Fulton County,
who have won a competence from the productive soil and have retired to enjoy the
fruits of their industry, is the gentleman above named. He has long been a
prominent citizen of Young Hickory Township, in which he has acted as Justice of
the Peace for twenty-four years. His fine farm consists of two hundred and forty
acres on section 12, and with its beautiful groves, orchard, well-tilled fields
and comfortable buildings, is an attractive feature in the landscape. The
acreage has been devoted principally to raising corn and feeding cattle and
hogs, which Mr. Swartz has both raised and bought in considerable numbers. The
cattle are of high grade and some fine horses are also bred on the place.
Mr. Swartz is of German ancestry in the paternal line and comes of old Pennsylvania families. His grandfather Swartz was a farmer in that State and his father, Henry Swartz, learned the trade of a tanner and currier. He removed from his native county of Washington to Pleasant Unity, Westmoreland County, where he successfully carried on a tanyard and later engaged in farming. He was successful in worldly affairs and a useful member of the community. At various times he served as Assessor and Collector and was also a member of the Board of County Commissioners for years. As Class-Leader in the Methodist Episcopal Church he assisted in religious work for years.
The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Margaret Gardner, and was a native of Westmoreland County, Pa. Her father, Christopher Gardner, was born in Adams County, but spent many years of his life at Pleasant Unity. He was a miller and followed his trade and farming. After the death of her husband Mrs. Swartz came West, bought a farm in this locality and lived thereon until her death, in 1873. She was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Her children are William G., of whom we write; Mrs. Caroline Phillippi, who lives in Young Hickory Township; Mrs. Elizabeth Reamer, in Prairie City; Catherine, who died in Galesburg in 1873; Mrs. Mary Phillippi, in Hancock County; Mrs. Lucia Welty, in Young Hickory Township; John, of London Mills; Christopher, who died in 1865; Henry, in London Mills; Alexander, a civil engineer in California. John, Christopher and Henry belonged to Company B, One Hundred and Third Illinois Infantry, serving their country from 1862 until the close of the war. Christopher was wounded at the battle of Missionary Ridge and died from the effects of the wound soon after the war. John held the rank of First Lieutenant.
Our subject was born in Pleasant Unity, Pa., October 7, 1825. When old enough to do so he learned the trade of a tanner and currier and became a partner with his father. He did not like the business, the work being too heavy for his health, which was not the best, and after the connection had continued three years it was dissolved. The young man then began teaching school, but this occupation proved no more agreeable to him and in the spring of 1851 he came West. Reaching this county and the home of his grandfather Gardner, he taught school one summer, then returned to his native State, spent the winter and again came to Illinois.
Mr. Swartz then bought eighty acres of the land he now owns, which was devoid of any improvements except a log cabin. The new owner taught a term, after which he gave his entire attention to the improvement of his farm and its thorough cultivation. He has added to his original acreage and placed the estate in the fine condition before noted. The log house in which he first resided was replaced in 1859-60 by a brick dwelling, the material for which was made by himself.
The marriage of Mr. Swartz and Miss Elizabeth Welty took place in the Keystone State, January 15, 1857. The bride was born in Pleasant Unity and exhibited the sterling traits of character which won the respect of those who knew her and are held in reverent remembrance by her family. She entered into rest May 22, 1890. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Swartz includes two living children and a son, John, who died when sixteen years old. Anna V. is the wife of John B. Hagaman, their home being in Fairview Township; Harry is married and lives in the old home with his father.
Mr. Swartz filled the office of Supervisor one term. He is a demitted member of the Masonic Lodge at Fairview, and has a letter from the Methodist Episcopal Church at Midway, which is now extinct. He belongs to the Democratic party, has frequently been a delegate to county conventions and was Central Committeeman two years. His fellow-men hold him in good repute as a man of honorable character, intelligence and usefulness. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 495-497, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Milburne Swearingen. This gentleman is engaged in agricultural pursuits on sec. 8. P. O., Cuba. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 878, Putman Township section, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Isaac L. and Charles R. Swegle are gentlemen of high standing in the community, and are much respected by all who know them. Their parents, Isaac Daniel and Margaret Ann (Allegar) Swegle were among the early pioneers of Fairview Township, having come to Illinois in 1838, and owning a tract of land that embraced two hundred and thirty acres. The father was born in New Jersey, as was also the mother, and both removed with their parents to the State of Illinois at an early age, and were here married. The father's death occurred May 25, 1890, at the age of sixty-two years and four months. Of their union were born nine children, six of whom are living at the present writing. viz: Daniel A., Isaac L., Sara F., Charles R., Abram D., and Jacob E. Daniel A. resides in London Mills, and is in the grain, stock and lumber business; he married Miss Miranda Hart, and to them have been born two children, viz: Burton B., and Ada Mabel. Sarah F. married John Schleich, a farmer of Deerfield Township, and they have one child, Raymond Lester; Charles R. is single and lives at home; Abram D. is agent at Cramer, Ill., on the Iowa Central Railroad; Jacob E. lives at home; Two children died in infancy, and Franklin M. died in 1886, at the age of twenty-nine years. Charles and Jacob have charge of the Swegle farm. The estate has not been divided and the heirs wish to run to together as long as possible.
Brother, Daniel, and Uncle Matthias
submitted by Karen Holt
Isaac Lemuel was born on the 30th of May, 1858, on the Swegle homestead, and after receiving a common-school education, he entered the Gem City Business College in January, 1886, and there completed a full business course, graduating from that institution December 15, 1886. He then went to Charleston, Coles County, where he engaged in the abstract, real estate, and insurance business, entering into partnership with George C. Mathers. He remained in the business eight months, and at the end of that time returned to Fairview in order to fill an office to which he had been appointed under President Cleveland. This office he held a little more than two years, and was then elected Collector of the township, collecting taxes due for 1889 and 1890, beginning his work January 1, 1890.
During the last illness of his father, our subject was very faithful in his attendance, and has since the sad event of his father’s death given much attention to the management of the estate. His mother is still living in her fifty-eighth year. Mr. Swegle is a member of the Democratic party. The great-grandfather came from Germany and settled in the State of New Jersey. Grandfather Swegle served as a training officer in a military company there [New Jersey], and was known as Capt. Swegle. The maternal grandfather, James Allegar, was born in the State of New Jersey, and was a very successful brewer and distiller. He married Miss Ann Apgar, a native of New Jersey, and of this union were born three children, viz: Margaret A., Mary E., and Franklin L. James Allegar was married previously to his union with Miss Apgar, and of the first union were born eight children, all of whom are now deceased.
Charles R. Swegle was born December 16, 1862, at the old homestead, and grew to manhood in Fairview Township, on the farm. He has had charge of the estate for the past four years in company with his brother Jacob. They raise a high grade of cattle for the market, and have been very successful in their agricultural pursuits. Our subject is a most enterprising and energetic young man; he is a member of the I. O. O. F. Fairview Lodge No. 120, and at present Conductor. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics his sympathy and support are always given to the Democratic party. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 768-769, submitted by Karen Holt)
Mathias B. Swegle. It is not ease but effort that makes the noblest men.
There is, perhaps, no station in life where difficulties do not have to be
encountered and obstacles overcome, and not until these obstacles are overcome
is the nobility of the character proved. The native-born citizens of Fulton
County, who have now reached the prime of life had, in youth, many obstacles to
vanquish, for the land was uncultivated and the surrounding country bleak and
inhospitable. With every passing year the standard of civilization has been
raised, and through the efforts of the sturdy pioneers the county has attained a
proud position among others in the State of Illinois.
The birth of our subject occurred August 31, 1842, in Fairview Township, Fulton County, Ill. His parents, Daniel and Elizabeth (Thorp) Swegle, were natives of New Jersey, the former learning the charcoal trade, and being a farmer in his native State, The paternal grandfather was born in Germany and the maternal relatives also came from the Fatherland. The father removed from New Jersey to Pennsylvania, where, for four years, he following his trade and whence, in 1834, he removed to Illinois, locating in Fulton County. After living for a time with a brother, he purchased eighty acres of fine farming land in Fairview Township. He and his wife had a family of seven children, names: Isaac D., Mary A., John W., Hester R., Sarah A., Mathias B. and Jacob G.
He of whom we write was reared to man’s estate in Fulton County, attending the district schools and learning the many duties belonging to farm life. When ready to establish home ties of his own, he was married January 1, 1873, to Miss Mary C. Gunnett, daughter of George and Isabellea (McFarland) Gunnett, natives respectively of Allegheny County, and Pittsburg, Pa. Mr. Gunnett and his wife were united in marriage in Fulton County, and afterward located in Fairview Township, where he purchased a farm of eighty-one and one-half acres and followed the trade of a carpenter. He died in 1867 at the early age of forty-five years; his wife survived him and is still living in Fairview at the age of sixty-six years. The record of their seven children is as follows: Samuel M., Mary C., Sarah J., Andrew J., Mary C. (Mrs. Swegle) who was born in Fairview Township, George and Joseph.
After their marriage our subject and his estimable wife
settled on the Swegle homestead, where they have continued to reside up to the
present. He is a member of the Round Top Grange, which was organized in 1863 and
afterward revised. He also belongs to the Fairview A. F. & A.M. lodge, No. 350,
and has served as Worshipful Master for three terms. He is identified with the
Eastern Star, No. 99, and to this his wife also belongs. In fact, she was
instrumental in its organization and has been its Worthy Matron since its
organization in November, 1886, until the present time, 1890. In his political
convictions Mr. Swegle is a Democrat and is much interested in both local and
national politics. He and his wife enjoy the distinction of being the first
couple in Fairview Township, who were natives thereof.
Not only is Mr. Swegle interested in farming, but he has also devoted special attention to , and is at this time, 1890, the owner of some valuable stock, making a specialty of the breeding of Durham cattle and Percheron horses. He comes of a pioneer family, his uncle, Mathias Swegle, being the first white settler in this township and one of the first in Fulton County, having come here in 1829. He figured in the Black Hawk War, and served as the first Justice of the Peace here. By trade he is a blacksmith and a very popular and fine looking gentleman.
The pleasant residence in which Mr. and Mrs. Swegle Entertain their friends, is represented by a view on another page. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 874 & 877, submitted by Karen Holt)
Back to Top
Major K. Sweney, a worthy farmer of Lee Township, is the oldest child of Montgomery and Mary M. (Kehr) Sweney, who began their residence in this county in the spring of 1838. The father was born in Ireland in 1787, and the mother in Northumberland County, Pa., in 1795. After their removal to this county they located on section 24, Lee Township, where the father died in 1868. The mother survived until 1882 when she also entered into rest. The parental family included four sons and four daughters.
John Swigartis the owner of one of the valuable farms in Young Hickory Township, located four miles from London Mills and six from Fairview. It consists of one hundred and sixty acres on section 14, which have been placed under the best of improvement, supplied with substantial buildings and thoroughly stocked with fine animals. Mr. Swigart is one of the most prominent farmers in the township and all who know him rejoice in the success which has attended his labors. In addition to the home farm he owns a fine property in Fairview Township and a tract of timber land on section 27, Young Hickory Township.
Mr. Swigart is of German ancestry, being a son of John and Susan (Snyder) Swigart. The former was born in the Fatherland and brought to American when a babe by his father, George Swigart. The father served in the Revolutionary War after which he settled in Franklin County, Pa., following farming so successfully that he became the owner of more than two hundred acres of land. He lived to the ripe age of eighty-two years. He belonged to the Presbyterian Church. John Swigart, Sr., farmed on the homestead in Pennsylvania and teamed to Baltimore and from that city to Pittsburgh. In 1845, he sold his property, came west and located in Fairview Township, this county. He bought one hundred and twenty acres of improved land, adding to it until he possessed over two hundred acres. He lived on the farm until 1872 when he entered into rest at the age of eighty-four years. He was an active worker in the Lutheran Church, highly respected as a citizen and considerate in his family relations. He belonged to the Democratic party.
The maternal grandfather of our subject was Henry Snyder who was born in Germany and settled in Franklin County, Pa., where his daughter was born, reared and married. Mrs. Swigart died some time before her husband. She was the mother of six sons and two daughters, of whom the following may be noted: Emanuel lives in Livingston County and is a retired farmer; George died in Fairview Township, this county; Mrs. Catherine Umpsted lives in Ellisville Township; Mrs. Susan Robb lives in Farmington Township; John is the subject of this notice; Henry lives on the old homestead; William lives at Rapatee, Knox County; Jerry died when quite young.
The subject of this notice was born near Greencastle, Pa., January 21, 1827, and reared on a farm. He attended subscription schools in the old log school house of "ye olden time" and was early set to work at home duties. In the fall of 1845 he accompanied his parents to the Prairie State and can give an interesting account of the journey. The traveling outfit consisted of three wagons drawn by six two-horse teams. The Allegheny River was crossed at Pittsburg, the Wabash at Terre Haute and Illinois at Havana Ferry. The farm produce which was raised in the new home, was hauled to Copperas Creek and sent to a market down the river. Our subject found some recreation in hunting, killing deer, wolves, etc., which were still quite numerous in the uncultivated portions of the county.
When twenty-two years old Mr. Swigart left the parental roof and rented a farm in Fairview Township. In 1857 he bought that which he now occupies, paying $14 an acre for the land whereon the only improvements were thirty acres of plowed ground and a log house. For a few years he had a hard struggle but gradually placed about him the improvements he wished and secured greater remuneration for his industrious efforts. In 1869 he bought one hundred and sixty-five acres on section 4, Fairview Township, paying $50 an acre for this improved farm. He operated it several years, but now rents it, occupying the homestead around which the memories of his struggles and successes cluster. The home farm is neatly fenced, tiled, and supplied with adequate machinery, as well as a complete line of buildings. The owner raises full-blooded Poland China hogs, graded cattle and Shropshire sheep. Of the latter he has the largest flock in the vicinity, and is the heaviest seller of wool and mutton.
The fine qualities of Miss Mary Tipton won the lasting regard of our subject and they were married February 22, 1849. The ceremony took place in Fairview Township at the home of the bride. That lady was born in Ohio near Columbus, October 15, 1825, and was in her teens when her parents came to this State. She had only a common-school education, but learned many useful ways and has the best of all knowledge--that of the Christian. She is the first-born in the parental family, her brothers and sisters being Mrs. Hannah Combs of Kansas; Isabella, who died in Fairview Township; Samuel, of New York; Thompson, a commission merchant in Chicago; Mrs. Lydia Ramsey, of Farmington; Mrs. Sarah Swigart, of Fairview Township; John, of Council Bluffs, Iowa; and Mrs. Nettie Meeker, of Nebraska. Samuel was a lieutenant in the one hundred and Third Illinois Infantry, having enlisted in 1862.
The father of Mrs. Swigart was John Tipton, a native of Maryland, who accompanied his father, Sylvester Tipton, to Ohio when quite young. He operated a farm in that State until 1840 when he removed to Illinois and settled in this county. He journeyed hither with three wagons, driving his cattle, and bringing a wife and nine children. He bought the land in Fairview Township now owned by our subject, improved it and lived thereon until death. His demise took place in March, 1869, at the age of seventy-one years. His wife, Eliza, daughter of John Crawford, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, and died in Pottawatamie County, Iowa, while on a visit to a daughter. After the death of her husband she had made her home with Mrs. Swigart, wife of our subject. She was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Our subject and his good wife have nine children, of whom we note the following: Jerry P. is in the grocery business in Aurora, Mo.; William H. farms in Farmington Township; Samuel T., formerly a teacher, is now a salesman in the school supply establishment of Andrews & Co., at Chicago; Lydia L. is the wife of F. M. Fisher, a merchant in Clair; Sarah C., Mrs. Gardner, is with her parents; John Frank is farming in Fairview Township; George M. lives in Sioux City, Iowa; Annie E. married G. A. Taylor and lives in Knox County; Susan B. is the wife of F. Voorhees, a farmer in Fairview Township.
Mr. Swigart was Township Supervisor one year, Collector an equal length of time, and has been Commissioner of Highways and School Director for years. In former days he was a Greenbacker but is now a member of the Union Labor party. Mrs. Swigart is a consistent and valued member of the Lutheran Church. The worthy couple take great delight in the exercise of hospitality and few there are who spend any time in their vicinage without enjoying the good cheer for body and mind that abounds under their roof. They have many friends by whom their genuine worth is highly valued. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, pages 495-497, submitted by Danni Hopkins)Back to Top
George Swinger, son of George and Barbara (Dreher) Swinger, was born in Germany Dec. 22, 1836. He came with his parents to the U. S. in 1853, and to Fulton Co. in 1861. He has filled several responsible local official positions, but does not seek popularity. On Dec. 24, 1867, he was united in marriage with Cynthia Runk, who has borne him 6 children,--2 boys and 4 girls,--all of whom are living. Mr. S. is engaged in agricultural pursuits on sec. 16. P. O., Ellisville. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 611, Deerfield Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
William M. Swisher, M. D., was born at Stanton, Augusta Co., Va., in 1827. His parents were Jacob and Catherine (Palm) Swisher. They removed to Mercer Co., Va., when he was a small boy, where they remained until their death. Dr. S. came to Farmington, this county, in 1851; one year later moved to Elmwood, where he practiced until ’66, when he came to Canton. He received his education mostly at Kinsman, O., and at Alleghany College, Meadville, Pa. He read medicine with Dr. D. B. Packard of Greenville, Pa., for 4 years and during and after this time attended the Cleveland, O., Medical College, graduating in 1852. The Doctor, although not in the regular service as surgeon in the Rebellion, volunteered his services in a private capacity in taking care of the wounded at Fts. Donelson, Hymen and Henry, and had charge of a ward in the hospital at Moun City, Ill. He married, in 1853, Susan Campbell. He has but one child, Edwin S. Swisher, also a physician, who has recently moved to Peoria. He has enjoyed unusual facilities for acquiring a thorough medical and surgical education. He is a graduate of the medical department of the University of New York City and of the New York Medical Institute; also attended lectures at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, N. Y., a course at Rush Medical College, Chicago, and in addition several hospital courses, including Charity Hospital, New York, Cook Co., Hospital, Chicago, etc. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 574, Canton Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
Back to Top
Charles W. Switzertakes a leading part in advancing the agricultural interests of Farmington Township, where he has one hundred and forty acres of land on section 34, and eighty acres on section 32. He and his brother Jesse J., carry on their operations in partnership, the latter occupying a farm in Canton Township. A representative of the native-born citizens of this county, our subject is a son of one of its earliest settlers, Jesse Switzer, Sr., who is still living in our midst.
George Hunt Switzer.The journalistic profession is one of such a peculiar nature, so complicated in its literary and business channels, that to call a man an editor has become equivalent to saying that he is apt in speech, acute in perception and well versed in mind. In this age of the world an uneducated man cannot conduct a paper even in what might be called the "backwoods," and much less in the midst of an enlightened community, who demand that their local papers shall be spicy, newsy and readable. All these characteristics are true of the London Times, a weekly paper edited by the subject of this biographical notice.
Jacob Switzer, farmer and stock-raiser, sec.--- P. O., Astoria; was born Nov. 26, 1826, in Virginia. Henry Switzer, his father, was a native of Pennsylvania, where he lived for a number of years, then went with his parents to Virginia, and was united in marriage with Miss Mary Haffner, daughter of Andrew Haffner. Jacob was the third of a family of 7 children, the result of this marriage. He grew up in his native State and remained there until 1844 when he came to Fulton Co., and worked as a farm hand. In 1850 he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Nebbergall, by whom he had 11 children, 9 of whom are living,---Samuel, Harvey, Eliza, Fanny, David, Walter, Dora, Nellie and George. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 462, Astoria Township section, submitted by Carla Finley)
Back to Top
Jesse T. Switzeris a bright and wide-awake young farmer and stock-raiser of Canton, and has a promising future before him. He and his brother C. W. operate two farms in partnership, one in Canton Township, and the other in Farmington Township. Our subject is the youngest son of Jesse Switzer, one of Fulton County's oldest living pioneers, and is a fine type of the young men who within recent years have come forward to aid their fathers in the great work so well begun in the early days by the sturdy, hardy, self-sacrificing early settlers of this region in their efforts to develop its rich agricultural resources.
William Switzer, farmer, sec. 35; P. O., Astoria. William Switzer was born on the old farm homestead of his parents, Jacob and Elizabeth A. Switzer, in Nov., 1851. Growing to manhood in this county he received a liberal education. In 1873 he was united in marriage with Miss Melinda F. Lewis, daughter of J. W. Lewis, of Astoria. Elizabeth A., Daniel H. and Perry W. are their children. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 462, Astoria Township section, submitted by Carla Finley)
Back to Top
Jacob Swopefarmer and blacksmith, was born in Adams Co., Pa., July 3, 1811. He is the son of Jonathan Swope, who was a native of Lancaster Co., Pa., and a farmer by occupation. He was married in that state to Miss Elizabeth Brothers, by whom he had 3 children, Jacob the second. Jacob grew up in the Keystone State and learned the blacksmith trade, and worked for a number of years at that calling. Jan. 19, 1833, he took unto himself a wife in the person of Miss Elizabeth Muster. Of this marriage they have 10 children living whose names are Edward, Jacob, Geo. D., John H., Riley, Walter, Catharine A., Jane, Elizabeth and Maria. In 1857 Mr. W. (typo?...should say S.) disposed of his property in the East and in the course of time reached Astoria Township. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, pages 462-463, Astoria Township section, submitted by Carla Finley)
Back to Top
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Fulton County Home Page
Copyright © Janine Crandell
All rights reserved
Updated October 23, 2005