Burlington was founded in 1833 shortly after the Blackhawk Purchase opened the area for settlement. John B. Gray, the first American to purchase a lot in the settlement, named it for his former home, Burlington, Vermont. Prior to this, the area was neutral territory for the Sac and Fox Indians, who called it "Shoquoquon" (Shok-ko-kon), meaning Flint Hills.
It was Iowa’s first territorial capital from 1838 to 1840. After the Black Hawk War of 1832, settlers came into Iowa and discovered Burlington was a great place to settle.
Burlington was the second capitol of the Wisconsin Territory prior to that, 1837 to 1838. Although this historic building no longer exists, a historical marker may be found at its site on Third and Columbia Streets.
Burlington was a bustling river port in the steamboat era and home to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CB&Q, 1848-1970) merged into the Burlington Northern Railroad (BN, 1970-1996), which in turn merged into the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (BNSF, 1997-present). Even today one of the main East-West lines of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad crosses the Mississippi at Burlington
Picture and article submitted by Jessika Jones
© Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved