Biographies of Pioneer Women
|Mrs. Frances Barry||Mrs. Matilda F. Dunlap|
|Mrs. Ellen Behringer||Mary Garrett|
|Celia R. Bevier||Fredericka Goldquist|
|Eleanor Blue||Catherine U. Greep|
|Emma Boydston||Lydia M. Hall|
|Mary J. Boydston||Anna O. B. Krans|
|Mrs. Elizabeth Byram||Mrs. Elizabeth Liden|
|Mrs. W. A. Chase||Mrs. Annie McClang|
|Eliza A. Coleman||Mrs. Agnes McKie|
|Mrs. D. W. Davis||Mrs. Sarah Morse|
|Mary E. Davis||more to come...|
Mrs. Frances Barry, for fifty-nine years a resident of Knox county, is the widow of James Barry, a wealthy farmer, who was for many years extensively engaged in stock-raising and later retired. A native of Sommersetshire, England, born on March 8, 1845, she was a daughter of George and Elizabeth (Wagland) Edwards. When she was seven years of age her parents came to America locating in Ontario township, Knox county, Illinois, where her father rented a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits. When he had become sufficiently acclimated and had decided upon Knox county as his permanent home he bought what is known in the vicinity as the old John Tate farm, which he developed and operated. There he died at the age of seventy-nine; his wife passing away at the age of sixty-five. They were the parents of twelve children, of whom eight are now living. These are: Elizabeth, the widow of James Main, residing in Oneida; George, living in Boise City, Idaho; Frances, the subject of this biography; Edwin, in Cambridge, Nebraska; Albert, a horseman in Chicago; William, in Nebraska; and Lucy and her sister Mary, both widows living on the old homestead in Ontario township, Knox county, Illinois.
Mrs. Barry came of an old family of the substantial English yeomanry. Her paternal grandparents were George and Elizabeth Edwards and her maternal grandparents were John and Mary Wagland. When nineteen years old Frances Edwards was united in marriage to James Barry the ceremony being performed on December 15, 1864. Mr. Barry was a native of Limerick, Ireland, born in August, 1838. When nineteen years of age he came to America hoping to find broader fields for his activities and larger opportunities open to an ambitious young man. At the very outset, on landing in New York, he met with a very disheartening experience. Bent on finding his aunt, who was living in the city, he walked forty blocks through the streets of New York only to find his aunt's family and their home under quarantine for small-pox. He left his luggage with them, however, and went elsewhere to find a lodging for the night. In the morning when he returned, he found that every vestige of his possessions had been burned during his absence. With one dollar in his pocket he set out and, working his way westward, he arrived at length in Ontario township, Knox county, Illinois. Here he worked for seven years at fourteen dollars a month, out of which he saved enough to enable him to marry and buy a farm of eighty acres. Many of his sterling qualities which made his rise possible, his splendid initiative, his undaunted courage and his tireless industry, were inherited from his sturdy stock of ancestors. His father, who remained in the enjoyment of all his faculties until his death at the age of ninety-three, was John Barry, a farmer, son of James Barry. His mother, whose maiden name was Mary Healey, was a daughter of Patrick Healey.
James Barry proved to be a very efficient farmer meeting with much success in his career. Besides general farming he raised stock to a considerable extent and traded in land, buying and selling farms. He bought the farm of three hundred and seventy acres, which he cultivated, in 1884, and left at his death a thousand acres of fine farm land in Knox county. He passed away November 17, 1910. In his religious faith he was a Catholic and in his political allegiance he was an ardent democrat, and represented his district as delegate in all the conventions of his party. He was one of the school directors for fourteen years and worked earnestly to assist the community in its desire to improve educational facilities. Mrs. Frances Barry lives in retirement, cherishing her husband's memory and continuing his spirit of helpfulness in her relations with the community in which she lives. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Barry. John W., married to Julia Bierderman, lives in Chicago, Illinois. George H., married to Ida Bradley, is a farmer in Knox county. He is the father of two children, Lloyd and Georgiana. Lilly C., the widow of George Rockwell, of Galesburg, is the mother of one child, Frances. Mary E. is the wife of James Barry, retired, living in Galesburg. Lucy, the wife of H. Welsh, a farmer of Knox county, is the mother of three children, Morris, Frances, and Florence. Winefred, the wife of Charles Welsh, a farmer in Sparta township, has one child, Anna May. Morris J., married to Blanche McDermott, is the father of one child, James. He is living at home.
Mrs. Frances Barry is an active worker in the Catholic church at Wataga. where she has a large circle of friends who hold her in high esteem. Devoted to her children and grandchildren her life is a full and happy one and she finds her true delight in the service of those who are dear to her. (History of Knox County, Vol. II, by A. J. Perry, pages 1040, 1045 & 1046, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Ellen Behringer. The lady of this personal narration, is the relict of Michael Behringer, who departed this life October 30, 1870. She is one who has occupied a wife's sphere of usefulness, and has known the hardships of a pioneer's life. She came to Galesburg at an early day, and recollects the time, when that now pleasant and populous little city, was sparsely inhabited, and the inconveniences of which were neither few nor far between. From what was almost a wilderness, she has watched the growth and advancement of a section of country that has veritably "Blossomed as a rose."
Mr. Behringer was born April 4, 1824, and was a native of Germany. His parents were George and Susan Behringer, who were both natives of Germany. Michael emigrated to America, May 31,1853, and settled in Chicago. From this point he engaged in railroading, which occupation he followed until his death. His marriage occurred Dec. 8, 1854, with Miss Ellen, daughter of Daniel and Christine (Hutman) Smith. Her parents were natives of Germany, as was also Mrs. Behringer. They died in Germany, the dates of their deaths being 1861 and 1853, respectively. In the year that chronicles her mother's death, the daughter came to America, and coming West to Illinois, located in Chicago. In that city she was united in marriage as before mentioned. Following this event they removed to Galesburg, Knox County, where Mr. Behringer followed his occupation as a railroad man. He had purchased 100 acres of land in Sparta Township, in 1865, on which the widow at present resides.
Mrs. Behringer is the mother of four children living, by name—George, Daniel, William and Ellen. The home place is still worked by Mrs. Behringer, and she has shown an undaunted spirit of persevering energy. She and her family are members of the Lutheran Church of Galesburg, and work heartily and unitedly for the good of their fellowmen.
Mr. Behringer, during his life was a stanch Democrat, adhering to the doctrines of that party. He, in addition to his ordinary work, took charge of the repairing of cars, and was a man so diligent in business that he won the entire confidence of the community and was respected by all who knew him. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Knox County, Illinois, pub. in 1886, pages 258-261, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Celia R. Bevier, A. L. R. Bevier, her father, was born in Ulster County, N. Y., July 16, 1820, and her mother, Adaline (Misner) Bevier was a native of Sullivan county, N. Y., born April 20, 1826; Celia was born at LaFayette, Stark county, Ill., May 23, 1855, united with the Stark County Congregational Church, was received by Elder Delle of LaFayette. Postoffice, Mitchellville, Iowa. (History of Knox County by C. C. Chapman & Co., pub. in 1878, page 652, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Eleanor (Rice) Blue. Mrs. Blue was born in Crawford county, Ind., Jan. 17, 1826. Her parents, Jonathan and Margaret, were natives of Hardin county, N. Y.; received a common-school education ; was married to Wm. B. Blue and is the mother of five children. Postoffice address, Henderson. (History of Knox County by C. C. Chapman & Co., pub. in 1878, page 654, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Emma Boydston. One of the women eminent for nobility of purpose and shrewd common sense may be found in the subject of this personal narrative, a few of the points in whose career are briefly enumerated herein. Her farm is located on section 8, Indian Point Township, and she is well known for her energetic activity and whole-souled purpose. Mrs. Boydston was born in Knox County, July 28, 1841, and is the daughter of John and Tabitha (Boydston) Dawdy. He came here in 1831, and was one of the first settlers in Knox County. Mrs. Dawdy was born in Barren Co., Ky., July 8, 1809. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Dawdy. She was united in marriage with A. T. Boydston, also a native of Knox County, born Aug. 31, 1838. He died March 26, 1883, of cancer, after an illness of seven years. He was a great sufferer, but to the last maintained a noble patience and a Christian resignation. He was conscious of all his pain until near the last, when he passed away gently as one falls asleep. Happily for those who were left behind, assurance was given that he died in the full faith and hope of immortality, and that to him had been spoken the words, "Come up higher," which is a lasting monument to his memory for the sorrowing wife and four children who survive him. He was a member of, and took deep interest in, the success of the Christian Church at Meridian, Warren County, and the Sunday-school was a pet interest of his. He belonged to the A. F. & A. M., and to a Masons' Lodge located at Abingdon, and took a keen interest in public affairs, taking great pleasure in reading the journals of the day.
Mrs. Boydston united in marriage with A. T.
Boydston at the time and place previously mentioned, and the ceremony was
performed by J. W. Butler, of the Christian Church. Their family consists of
four children, as follows: Anna B., born July 5, 1864; John B., March 15, 1866;
Thomas J., born Nov. 16, 1868, and Mary J., June 17, 1875.
Mrs. Boydston has in her possession 100 acres of finely improved and cultivated land. Anna Belle, her daughter, united in marriage with—Col. M. Young, and they are living at the present time in this county. Mr. Boydston took an interest in politics, and was Democratic in sentiment. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Knox County, Illinois, pub. in 1886, pages 327-328, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mary J. Boydston. The subject of the biographical sketch given below is known in Knox County as a lady of genial and pleasant disposition and as an active and industrious woman. Her home is situated on section 20, of Indian Point Township, where she is nobly battling with life's realities alone, the companion of her life being taken. She has nobly shown her capability to cope with the world single-handed. The deceased husband, John J. Boydston, was born in Woodford County, Ill., Jan. 4,1831, and died Sept. 2, 1882. His parents were from Kentucky, but were of Scotch ancestry and blood. When John was five or six years of age, his parents removed to Knox County, and settled in Indian Point Township. At the age of 17, he experienced a change of heart and joined the Christian Church, enrolling his name upon the church books, and enlisting under the banner of Christ Jesus. He was warm-hearted and impulsive, deeply interested in the work, and he took an active part in the Sunday-school and also in the church. As he grew up, he filled various offices and was Deacon in that body at the time of his death. He was noteworthy as an enterprising man, and an energetic, hard-working citizen, and was beloved by all for his sympathetic gentleness and kindly courtesy. He was widely mourned at the time of his death, which took place in the State of Texas, where he had gone to visit a sick brother. His remains were, however, brought to his home in Knox County, by his faithful wife, and buried from that place, attended by a large concourse of people. On Dec. 19, 1850, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Bawdy, daughter of John and Sarah (Boydston) Dawdy. Her father was born in 1802, and died at the age of 76. Mr. Boydston had filled the office of Supervisor of Indian Point Township, with honor to himself and credit to the people. The union has been blessed by a son and daughter, the son being Thomas Boydston.
Thomas M. was born Oct. 6, 1853, united in hand and heart with Miss Kate P. Morrison, Sept. 1, 1880. She was born Oct. 29, 1860. Thena Belle was born October 6, 1858, and died March 12, 1863. She was a bright and interesting child of five years, and her loss was a severe blow to her parents.
Mrs. Boydston, of this writing, was born Nov. 22, 1831, in
Woodford County, Ill. She united with the Christian Church, and has shown forth
the beauties of consistent Christianity throughout her entire life since that
time. Her name was enrolled on the church books at Abingdon in 1848. She had one
sister, now Mrs. A. T. Robinson, living in the same township, and ten
half-brothers and sisters. Her father and mother were members of the Christian
Church, and active workers in all public enterprises. He was something of a
politician and was Democratic in politics.
Mr. Thomas M., the son, has one daughter, a sweet little girl of two years, by name Nana Pearl, who was born Dec. 11, 1884. Thomas Boydston has in possession 160 acres of finely cultivated land, and all common grades of cattle. He does a general farming business and is quite successful. Mrs. Boydston is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Boydston is moderately interested in public affairs, and is a Democrat in politics. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Knox County, Illinois, pub. in 1886, pages 483-484, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Elizabeth Byram. Two miles south and one mile west of the little city of Abingdon, and on section 7, Indian Point Township, is situated the beautiful and well-known Hickory Grove Farm. This valuable farm consists of 429 acres and is surrounded on all sides, except the north, by beautiful groves of hickory timber. This is where Edward and Elizabeth (Campbell) Byram settled in 1850, and commenced to prepare a suitable location for their future home. They went to work with a will, and by strict attention to their duties and earnest and energetic efforts they had soon accumulated a fair competency. Soon, however, a misfortune befell them in the falling [failing?] health of Mr. Byram. After the first year he was not only unable to attend to the duties of the farm, but even to look after the business in a general way, His wife, however, cheerfully assisted him in their enterprises, and soon developed rare ability as a manager. On Oct. 7, 1858, Mr. Byram died, leaving six children and a devoted wife to mourn their loss. For the brief period he had lived in the community, he had won the respect and esteem of all of those who knew him. He was born in Highland County, Ohio, on March 11, 1819. He was the son of Edward and Rachel (Gibson) Byram. The family were old settlers in Virginia, and removed from there to Kentucky, where they were pioneers, and from there removed to Ohio, where they were also early settlers. They belonged to the pioneer race of people.
When Mr. Byram came West, in 1850, he purchased 390 acres of land on section 7, of Indian Point Township, where he made his home, and where his widow has continued to live until the present. The present improvements were made in 1857.
After the death of Mr. Byram the entire duties of the management of the homestead and carrying on the business thus inaugurated by her husband fell upon Mrs. Byram. She proved amply able to cope with every undertaking, and has displayed exceptionally rare ability as a lady of business. She has embarked in enterprises, and successfully carried them out, that would tax the business capacity of many of the shrewdest of far-seeing men. The results of her labors since are the best evidence of her ability as well as the highest commendation of her as a lady and a mother. In 1863, Mrs. Byram purchased a small herd of Short-horn cattle in Kentucky. These were driven to her Hickory Grove Farm by her brother, who remained with her until his death, some years afterward. For years she devoted considerable attention to stock-raising, meeting with unusual success. Her name has become familiar among the circles of the leading stock-raisers of the country.
Getting tired of the hard labor incident to carrying on such an extensive business as she had, and feeling that at last she had put in store a competency for her declining years, Mrs. Byram concluded to dispose of her thorough-bred stock. She therefore made sales in 1865, the last occurring in October. She at present has retired and rented her farm, and proposes to take the world easy the remainder of her days.
Byram was born in Bourbon County, Ky., on what is called Old Cane Ridge, Sept.
27. 1821. Her marriage with Mr. Byram occurred Feb. 22,
1843. Her parents were Lewis and Elizabeth (Wallace) Campbell. The former was
bom Oct. 27, 1790, and died in Kentucky of cholera, in
1849. Elizabeth Wallace, his wife, was born in 1799,
and died May 17, 1885. They were married in 1818, in Bourbon County, Ky. The
Wallace family were originally from Virginia, and of Scotch ancestry.
To them were born six children, one of whom died in
infancy. William W. Campbell, a brother of Mrs.
Byram, died in Knox County, Ill., in 1876. Elizabeth was the next in order of
birth in the family, then came James, and John H., who died aged 16 years.
Margaret died at the age of 14, and one died in infancy.
There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Byram six children, of whom the following is a record: William W., born Jan. 27, 1844, married Miss Margaret Dunlap of this county, and lives in Indian Point Township. Joseph H., born July 3, 1846, married Miss Mollie Wood, of Cambridge, Henry County, Ill., and lives in Nebraska, engaged in farming; Eve was born Oct. 7, 1848, became the wife of Chenault Todd and resides in Howard Co., Mo.; Addie was born April 15, 1851, and married John W. Moore, of Adams County, Ill.; Carrie A. was born Aug. 26, 1853; Edward, Nov. 13, 1857, married Miss Dora Lincoln, and lives in Warren County, Ill. Mrs. Byram is a member of the Christian Church of Abingdon, of which church Mr. Byram was also a member. Politically he was a Republican from the organization of that party until his death. He was a gentleman who possessed firm and decided opinions, both in religious and political matters. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Knox County, Illinois, pub. in 1886, pages 494-495, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. William Austin Chase, formerly Miss Leonora May Woolsey, was the wife of the late William Austin Chase and is a daughter of David Woolsey. She is the owner of a very fine farm in Haw Creek township, where she was born January 14, 1867, and where she has resided throughout her life. Her marriage to William Austin Chase occurred February 10, 1887.
Mr. Chase, born April 2, 1863, was a son of John H. and Mary Ann (Reed) Chase, residents of Farmington and of Galesburg, the mother being now deceased. He was reared and educated in Elba township, and after his marriage engaged in agriculture in Haw Creek township. He passed away November 22, 1902, and was laid to rest in the cemetery at Maquon. On political issues he voted with the republicans and in his religious faith he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. and Mrs. Chase had six children born to them: Florence Geneva, born October 22, 1887, who died April 10, 1888; Edna Merle, born December 14, 1889, who died February 12, 1890; Nina Bishop, born December 27, 1891; Doris Edith, born November 14, 1893; Wayne Harris, born April 22, 1897; and Paul David, born February 11, 1900. Mrs. Chase is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church in which she is actively and helpfully interested, She is the owner of about two hundred acres of valuable farm land on section 13, Haw Creek township, from which she makes a comfortable income by renting it to a tenant. Mrs. Chase possesses many of her father's characteristics —a progressive spirit, a forceful will and the ability to manage wisely and with an eye to the future. She is a very kind mother in the home and is devoted to the interests of her children. (History of Knox County, Vol. II, by A. J. Perry, pages 821-822, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Eliza A. Kane was five years of age when her parents removed to Victoria township, where she was reared and educated. She was trained to the duties of the household and remained at home with her parents until her marriage, which occurred March 14, 1881. At that date she became the wife of James Coleman, who was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, December 27, 1830, the son of Samuel Coleman, a native of that state. James Coleman was reared under the parental roof and remained at home until 1858, when he came to Knox county, Illinois, arriving May 30. Shortly afterward he wedded Charlotte Kane, a sister of Eliza A. (Kane) Coleman. Charlotte (Kane) Coleman, who was a member of the Methodist church at West Jersey, Illinois, died at the age of thirty-nine years and is buried in West Jersey cemetery. She left five children, the oldest of whom, a daughter, is now deceased. After their marriage James and Eliza A. (Kane) Coleman lived on the farm on which Mrs. Coleman now resides and there Mr. Coleman was actively engaged in general farming. His business insight, energy and perseverance brought to him a goodly measure of success and Mrs. Coleman is now comfortably situated in life. They were the parents of four children. Clyde, who is a graduate of Toulon Academy and of Williams College at Williamstown, Massachusetts, is now a graduate student in the chemistry department of the University of Chicago. In 1910 he was a teacher in the Military Academy at Culver, Indiana. Francis J. resides at home with his mother and operates the home place. Ada and Susie I., who complete the family, are both living at home. The death of the husband and father occurred on November 20, 1904, and he is buried in West Jersey cemetery. His death was deeply regretted by his many friends and was an irreparable loss to his immediate family. He was a republican in politics, a citizen of progressive spirit, who was much interested in all that pertains to the public welfare. He gave much attention to the cause of education and served as school director throughout most of the time of his residence in Knox county. He attended the Methodist Episcopal church of West Jersey, services of which organization, Mrs. Coleman, who is a lady of many good traits of heart and mind, and whose life is in harmony with her Christian profession, also faithfully attends. She has passed much of her life in Victoria township and has a large circle of friends, in whose regard she stands very high. (History of Knox County, Vol. II, by A. J. Perry, pages 632 & 635, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. D. W. Davis, was born in Mt. Vernon, Knox County, Ohio, April 5, 1840. Her parents, Garrett and Harriet White, were natives of the same State, the former born in Greenfield, the latter in Mt. Vernon. Mr. D. W. Davis, her husband, was a native of Farmington, Me., and was born June 21, 1828, and was a mason by trade. He commenced his trade in Knoxville in 1848; was master builder of the Town Hall and High School of Wataga, and the Alms-House at Knoxville. Died Nov. 21, 1873. They were married Nov. 27, 1867. They had but one child, a son. Mrs. Davis has been a member of the M. E. church since 1860. Postoffice address, Wataga. (History of Knox County by C. C. Chapman & Co., pub. in 1878, page 652, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mary E. Davis. Her father, Robert H. Davis, was born in Livingston Co., Ky., and her mother, Elizabeth Davis, was born in Athens county, Ohio. Mary E. Davis is a native of Knox county, Ill., born Feb 14, 1858. Her parents, being in good circumstances, gave her a liberal education in the high schools of her native county. She also has a fine musical education, having qualified herself for a teacher of music. Miss Davis inherited a strong love for individual liberty, and advocates the right of her sex to elective franchise. Postoffice, Maquon. (History of Knox County by C. C. Chapman & Co., pub. in 1878, page 669, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Matilda F. Dunlap, a widow lady, residing on section 19, Cedar Township, devotes her attention to farming. She was born in Fleming County, Ky., March 23, 1817, and is the daughter of Fielding and Margaret Belt. Her father was born in Virginia, Jan. 12, 1782, while her mother was a native of Pittsburg, Pa., and born Jan. 27, 1791. This latter lady was killed by lightning in October, 1825. Her father died in 1874, in the State of Kentucky. By this marriage there were the following children: Jane, John, Matilda, Margaret, Joseph and William. Matilda and John are the only children now living. John resides near Elizaville, Fleming Co., Ky.
The lady whose name introduces this history married Edmund P. Dunlap, Dec. 22, 1836. He was born in Fleming County, Ky., March 24, 1811, and brought up on his father's farm. His decease took place March 29,1865, while residing in Knox County. He was a victim of typhoid fever, his illness lasting six months before he finally succumbed. He lies buried in the Humiston cemetery. Mr. Dunlap came to this county in the spring of 1837. He was considered one of the most industrious and praiseworthy men of his community, and at the date of his demise had accumulated a very fair competency. His father was born in South Carolina, and his mother in New Jersey. By the happy marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap, ten children were born to the parents—Mary J., Jan. 10, 1838; Margaret B., Oct. 13, 1839; George W., Feb. 22, 1842; Theodore, Aug. 1, 1844; Henry P., Jan. 25, 1847; William B., Aug. 27, 1849; Martha F., Dec. 9, 1851; Alice and Ellen, born Oct. 1, 1854, were twins; Cornelia A., December, 1857. Of these children four are married. Margaret is the wife of Mr. Byram, and four children are the result of the marriage. William Dunlap married Miss Ida Latimer; they are the parents of three children, and reside in Chestnut Township. George W. married Miss Leanna Hague, and they had one child. Ann married Mr. William A. Latimer, and lives in Abingdon, where her husband is cashier of the First National Bank; by this marriage there has also been one child.
Mrs. Dunlap is now farming 280 acres of good land, beside raising Short-horn cattle and thoroughbreds. By political persuasion Mr. Dunlap was a Democrat of the stanchest order; his religious conviction was with the Congregational Church. Here he won for himself the reputation of a sound politician and a good church member.(Portrait & Biographical Album of Knox County, Illinois, pub. in 1886, pages 323-324, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mary Garrett, daughter of Anthony and Mary (Nelson) Franklin; was born in Ohio, Nov. 21, 1822. She spent her early life on a farm and was educated in the common schools; she removed to Knox co., Ill. in 1852; joined the M. E. Church in 1832, and has been a member since. P. O., Knoxville. Residence, Cedar township, sec. 12, where she runs a large farm. She takes great interest in agricultural pursuits, and is fully competent to manage large business interests, as she has proven. (History of Knox County by C. C. Chapman & Co., pub. in 1878, pages 675-676, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Fredericka Goldquist. One of modern philosophical trend of thought has written "in the good that comes to us, by the good that comes to the world through us, is the measure of our success," and judged in this way the life of Mrs. Fredericka Goldquist was a most successful one. Her labors were a continuous element for good in the community in which she lived and her life was, indeed, a serviceable one for she was continually holding out a helping hand, or speaking a word of encouragement, or kindly advice. She held closely to the high standards of Christian living and it has fallen to the lot of but few women in Galesburg to fill so large a sphere of genuine usefulness as did Mrs. Goldquist, who passed away on the 27th of March, 1889.
Fredericka Peterson was a native of Sweden, born in the parish of Haggersda, November 20, 1824, and was, therefore, twenty-three years of age when in 1848 she accompanied her father's family to the new world, their destination being Knox county, Illinois. This was the year of the terrible cholera scourge. The little band of emigrants first contracted the disease while passing through the Erie canal. As they proceeded on their journey by way of the Great Lakes and across the prairies of Illinois in lumber wagons, victim after victim was buried by the way. The mother and a brother of Mrs. Goldquist were of the number. Strange as it may seem, Mrs. Goldquist, although a constant caretaker of the dying and the dead, experienced no touch of the disease. The travelers proceeded to Andover, Henry county, where a heroic physician, Dr. Calhoun, came and ministered to them, but he too fell ill and passed away. After the scourge had spent its force the family moved to Knoxville, where they lived for two years. They then moved to Galesburg. Mrs. Goldquist was thus one of the first Swedish residents of the county.
Soon after taking up their abode in Galesburg she was married to Claus Olofson Goldquist, who died June 5, 1864, leaving her with five children. One of the local papers in writing of her and her experiences at this period in her life said, "the quality of her nature and her strength of character are seen in the spirit with which she assumed the burden thus imposed by death upon her, and the complete manner in which she met this responsibility." All the children were given a public school education and had the joy of living in a cheerful and inspiring home atmosphere.
In spite of the responsibilities and cares of home, Mrs. Goldquist found time to take an active part in good work for the benefit of others. Her life was an illustration of interested unselfishness. During the war she was an active member of the Soldiers' Aid Society and met often with Mrs. T. L. Clark, Mrs. Clement Leech, Mrs. D. C. Raymond and others of the good women of the city, in the basement of the First Congregational church, where boxes were filled with articles for the soldiers. When, after the war, this organization became the Dorcas society, Mrs. Goldquist remained a member and was for over ten years a ward visitor for the Seventh ward. There are scores of people in that ward who can recall her kindnesses. When the Dorcas society was merged in the Free Kindergarten Association, Mrs. Goldquist retained her connection, and took a deep interest in this institution. It is said that, being unable to attend the last meeting of the association, she sent an order for some shoes for the little folks in need of them. She was seventh ward visitor also for the association.
In addition Mrs. Goldquist was at the head of an industrial school at the First Baptist church and one afternoon every week met twenty-five or thirty girls in one of the rooms at that edifice. In this work she had the help of several of the church women. She made her old age bright with helpful and beautiful deeds.
When one attempts to analyze the secret of Mrs. Goldquist's usefulness, he finds it in her sincere faith in Christ and in her desire to serve Him by ministering through every possible, accessible channel, to mankind. She was a member of the First Baptist church for nearly forty years, and all through was active and interested. For a long time she was a busy member of the various women's societies. For thirty-five years she was a teacher in the Sunday school. Her class was composed for over twenty years of young ladies, who as the years went by gave place to others many of these being pupils of the high school. She was a successful and inspiring teacher, so much so that at times her class room was crowded. While she was obliged on account of her failing health to relinquish some of her church work, she continued her labor of love in the Sunday school. The last time that she met her class was on Sunday previous to her illness, and that she could not be present the following Sabbath was to her a cause of sincere regret. Her heart was in the work. Owing to her kind, loving and helpful influence many of the lives of those belonging to her class have been molded along Christian lines. She was regarded with affection by these pupils and they will never forget her.
Mrs. Goldquist, until her illness, was a constant attendant at the church services. She appeared in close touch with divine things. She was always ready to serve. But she also took a keen interest in the affairs of the city and was a faithful reader of current events. It is said of her that her nature was kind and deeply sympathetic and that any case of distress or suffering appealed strongly to her, At the time of the Chicago fire and of the Kansas famine she was a zealous solicitor for contributions for relief. It is said of her that as a ward visitor when she heard of a case of need she would go to the house, not send some one else. With her sympathy was combined a bright and cheerful disposition that made her presence welcome. All through she has also felt concern in all efforts to better the community. In the early days of the W. C. T. U. she was a member of organization.
If lives are to be measured by kind acts, by sympathetic words and by good influences, then Mrs. Goldquist's life deserves the warmest praise and the loving tribute. Her career can be said to be worked like golden threads into the better natures of hundreds of men and women here. When death called Mrs.Goldquist the Rev. W. H. Geistweite, of Chicago, delivered a most earnest and impressive address upon the text, "She hath done what she could." Hers was the history of a life of responsibility, of toil and of sacrifice; a life that was one long labor of love in which she wrought not for herself but for others. She left her impress for good upon the city in which she long made her home and the memory of such a one can never die while living monuments remain, upon which were imprinted the touch of her noble soul. (History of Knox County, Vol. II, by A. J. Perry, pages 372 & 375-376, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Catherine U. Greep, who is the widow of Hans Creep, formerly a well known agriculturist of Lynn township, is still residing upon the homestead. She was born February 14, 1851. in Galesburg, and is the daughter of Joel and Julia (Annis) Starboard. Joel Starboard was the son of John Starboard, an efficient carpenter and cabinet worker who passed away when his son was ten years of age, the mother having died six years previous. The orphaned son was reared by an aunt and came to Galesburg in 1842, where he followed the plow-makers' and shingle-makers' trade. Eleven years later, in March 1853, he removed to the present homestead in Lynn township, where he lived out an active and successful career. Mr. and Mrs. Starboard were the parents of four children: Martha A., who is the wife of H. Lyke, of Iowa; Mary, who is married to Thomas Williams of Missouri; Ella N.; and Mrs. Catherine U. Greep, the subject of this review.
Until her marriage Mrs. Greep remained at home and assisted with the
duties which come to hand on every farm. In 1873 she was married to Hans
Greep, who was born in May, 1844, and who was a native
of Sweden. When three years of age he came to America with his parents and
settled with the Bishop Hill colony. His father, John Eric Greep, was a tailor
by trade and was married to Catherine Johnson. His death occurred April 18,
1899, when he was eighty-two years of age, and his
widow passed away in February, 1908, at age of eighty-eight years. During his
active career Mr. Greep was engaged in agricultural pursuits, first assisting
his father and later farming independently in Lynn township. After his marriage
he purchased the present Greep homestead in 1882, and
twelve years later removed to Galva, Illinois, where he died
in 1905. After the death of her husband Mrs. Greep returned to the farm.
where she is now residing. They were the parents of three children: Orpha E.,
who is a home missionary in North Dakota; Theodore W., who has assumed the
management of the home farm; and Olive S., who is residing with her mother.
Mrs. Greep traces her ancestry on the maternal line back to Samuel and Johanna (Thorndyke) Annis, the former a native of Maine who died in Victoria in 1854 at the age of ninety years and the latter, of Scotch-Irish descent, passed away in the same town. Their son, Ellison Annis, was born in 1792 in Waldo county, Maine. In early life he left his native state and crossed the country to the Illinois river on July 4, 1837, settling in Victoria on the 28th of July of that year. He was married to Catherine Maro, whose birth occurred, in 1796, in Boston and who passed away in 1871, while her husband died at the age of about eighty-nine years in July, 1880. He began life as a sailor and was in the war of 1812 drawing a land warrant for his service. During this service he first became acquainted with the western country.
Mrs. Creep's life has been devoted to her home duties and to the interests of her church. She holds membership in the Second Adventist church, and aims to live in accordance with the high principles of its teachings. Both she and her husband have been useful citizens in their community, because of their substantial moral worth and because of their constant devotion to duty. (History of Knox County, Vol. II, by A. J. Perry, pages 733-734, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Lydia M. Hall, who is now living in Yates City, has been a resident of Knox county since she was a child of nine years. She was born in Erie county, New York, and is a daughter of James and Sarah J. (Candee) Jobes, natives of Onondaga county, New York, where they were also reared and educated. After their marriage they located in Erie county, twenty miles south of Buffalo, whence they removed to Illinois. They first located in Kendall county and after residing there for seven years came to Knox county, settling in Salem township, in 1854, where they spent the remainder of their days, the father passing away at the age of eighty-five and the mother at ninety-one. Both were laid to rest in the cemetery at Uniontown. Of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Jobes there were born ten children. Wallace, a veteran of the Civil war, now residing in Tecumseh, Nebraska, married Amanda Buffin, who was reared in Knox county. Newton married Margaret Russell, who was born and reared in Salem township, this county, a daughter of Nicholas and Sarah Russell. Irvin, also a Civil war veteran, married Lucinda Lewis, now deceased, and is living in Seattle, Washington. Candee is married and resides in Abingdon, Illinois. Julia became the wife of Peter Cassler and now resides in New Jersey. Mary married Walter Faxom. She is living in Salem township and Mr. Faxom, who died in 1897, was both a farmer and mason by profession. The next in order of birth are Casper, who is a retired farmer, residing at Yates City, and Mrs. Hall. Sarah died at the age of six years. Emma, the youngest in this family, died in infancy. Mrs. Jobes was a member of the Presbyterian church. Politically Mr. Jobes was a republican, but never filled or sought public office. They were most estimable people and had a wide circle of acquaintances, who held them in the highest regard.
Mrs. Lydia M. Hall, the youngest now living, was but two years of age, when she accompanied her parents on their removal from New York to Illinois. She began her education in the district schools of Kendall county, supplementing the knowledge therein gained by further study in the schools of Salem township, where she was reared to womanhood.
In 1864, while yet in her early girlhood, Mrs. Hall, who has been married twice, became the wife of Matthew Buffum, who was born and reared in Ohio, a son of Stephen and Esther Buffum. They began their domestic life on a farm of three hundred acres in Salem township, where they made their home until Mr. Buffum's death. After his demise the greater part of the property was sold, but Mrs. Hall still owns one hundred and twenty acres located on sections 19 and 20 in Salem township. Mr. Buffum passed away in 1891 and was laid to rest in the Uniontown cemetery. He was a democrat in politics and always took an active interest in township affairs, having served both as road commissioner and school director.
Following the death of her first husband, Mrs. Hall removed to Yates City, where she has ever since resided, her farm being operated by tenants. Her second marriage was with Cyrus Hall, who was a native of Ohio and a son of Chauncey Hall. Mr. Hall died in 1906, and was at that time a retired farmer.
Mrs. Hall is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work of which she takes an active and earnest interest. She is also a member of the Ladies' Aid Society and holds the office of treasurer in that organization. For a period of eighteen years Mrs. Hall has been a resident of Yates City, and numbers among its citizens many warm friends, to whom she has endeared herself through the kindly, helpful spirit and gracious manner that enable her to win and retain the high regard of those with whom she comes in contact. (History of Knox County, Vol. II, by A. J. Perry, pages 730 & 733, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Anna O. Brink Krans is the widow of George E. Krans, who was a farmer of Walnut Grove township, where he died January 13, 1908. The family has long been prominent in this part of the county and Mrs. Krans is well known here. She was born September 19, 1851, in Uggelbo, Sweden, and came to America when eighteen years of age, taking up her abode upon the farm which she now resides. She was employed as a domestic in the neighborhood until her marriage and in 1869 she became the wife of George E. Krans, who was born in Uggelbo, Sweden, August 19, 1847, a son of Eric and Anna (Olson) Krans. It was in the year 1855 that his grandfather came with his wife and family to Illinois, settling first in Wataga. The members of the family followed farming all their lives, first at the little town then called Log City. They later came to Walnut Grove township in 1864, settling upon a tract of land which was then improved with a small log house. A short time later he replaced this by a frame residence, to which he afterward added and further improved. In time he converted his land into rich and productive fields and resided upon the place almost to the time of his death. He was born June 13, 1807, and died 1897 at the venerable age of ninety years. On the 4th of March, of the same year, his wife passed away, being then eighty-five years of age. Both were members of the Lutheran church and they were honored and respected because-of their sterling worth and also by reason of the fact that they were numbered among the pioneer settlers of the township, who contributed much to its development and improvement.
Their son, George E. Krans, shared with the family in the usual experiences, hardships and trials of pioneer life and aided in the arduous task of developing new land. He had had broad and practical experience as a farmer, when he was married and began farming on his own account. He and his wife began housekeeping upon what is still known as the Krans homestead with the grandparents, who two years before their death removed to Altona, where they passed away, being laid to rest in Walnut Grove cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Krans worked earnestly, diligently and indefatigably to gain a start, and success eventually crowned their labors, making them owners of one of the fine farms of the northern part of the county. As the years passed by, several children were added to the household. The first son, Victor, born March 11, 1871, is now manager of a creamery at Victoria, Illinois. He married Esther Carlson and they have two sons, Carl and Paul. Theodore Charles, born March 6, 1873, is a carpenter of Victoria. John Alf, born February 25, 1875, in Lynn township, married Emily Hallerstrum and they have three children, Harold, Donald and Franklin. Oscar Peter, born October 7, 1877, manages the home farm. He is well known in the community as an enterprising young business man, also as a faithful member of the Methodist church of Victoria and as a stalwart supporter of the republican party. David and Jonathan were twins, born April 23, 1881; the former a resident of Wheaton, Minnesota, was married in 1911. Julius, born July 11, 1888, Lawrence Otto, born March 25, 1890, and Laura Ottilia, the twin sister of Lawrence, are all at home and the last named is managing the household for her mother. She is a member of the Epworth League. One child, Mandel R., born May 25, 1893, died on the 8th of August of the same year.
George E. Krans gave his political allegiance to the republican party and held some of the township offices. He was very active as a worker for his party, for he believed firmly in its principles and earnestly sought its success. He served for three terms as a member of the school board and was a stalwart champion of the cause of education. The greater part of his life was passed in Illinois, for he was only eight years of age when brought to Knox county. For fifty-three years he lived to witness its growth and development and was always interested in what was accomplished and in as far as possible aided in the work of progress and improvement. He was always straightforward and honorable in his business dealings and his fellow townsmen learned to know that what he promised he would do. The Krans family has long been a leading one in the northern part of the county and their friends are many. (History of Knox County, Vol. II, by A. J. Perry, pages 682-683, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Elizabeth Liden, midwife, residence Galesburg. Mrs. L. has a diploma from the Royal College of Midwifery of Stockholm, Sweden, which she received when no other kingdom was granting such honors to women. She is a native of Sweden, born March 9, 1838; was married to Stephen S. Liden, July 4, 1861. He is a coppersmith, formerly was pastor of Swedish Baptist church, now Deacon; they have 2 children living, 4 dead. (History of Knox County by C. C. Chapman & Co., pub. in 1878, page 690, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Annie McClang is the relict of William McClang, who was born March 24, 1842, and died Feb. 3, 1884. He was a native of Sweden, and emigrated to America in 1865. He settled in Copley Township, on section 15, and laid the foundations of a home. He lived on the same until 1878, and then purchased 80 acres on section 16, and on this remained until his death.
was married to Miss Annie Hanson March 22, 1866. She is the daughter of Hans and
Christina Hanson. They are natives of Sweden and came to America in 1849,
settling on section 15, in Copley Township. They
purchased 80 acres of land, where they lived until called by death to the land
beyond the stars. They had but one child, a daughter—Annie, now Mrs. McClang.
In politics the deceased was a Republican, and was a good, solid man of native force and ability, of a courteous and affable manner, and his loss was deeply deplored in the community. He was a member of the Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also his wife. Mrs. McClang has shown herself to be possessed of a good degree of firmness and force, and still manages the farm left her at her husband's death.
Back to Top
Mrs. Agnes McKie. In selecting a site for a home which shall include both convenience and fertility of soil, none could be better chosen than most of the farms in Knox County, and among these the lady of whom this personal history is written claims one of the best. It lies on section 4, in Copley Township, and was left her as a legacy by her deceased husband, Thomas McKie.
The late Mr.
McKie was born in Scotland, Jan. 31, 1818,
and died at his home April 18, 1883. His parents were William and Jenette
(Murray) McKie, natives of Scotland, who died in their native land. Mr. Thomas
McKie came to America in 1839, and settled in Knox
County, in Copley Township, on section 11, where he purchased 160 acres and
there lived until 1872. On section 4 he purchased 160 acres, where he passed the
time up to his death. He was a member in good and regular standing of the
Presbyterian Church, and departed this life in the full assurance of a better
home, in that " house not made with hands." In politics he was a Republican, and
was a deep, earnest thinker and a welcome aquisition
to the party to which he was allied in sentiment and vote. He held the office of
School Director for some time, and also other township offices, and was always
helpful to Sunday-schools and churches, societies for charity of different
kinds, and in fact to any worthy and good enterprise. He was united in marriage
in Scotland, March 9,
1852, to Miss Agnes Ferguson, who was the daughter of John and Mary (Davidson)
Ferguson. They were natives of Scotland, and had a family of two children, by
name Jenette and Agnes. The parents died in their native home.
Mrs. Agnes McKie was born Nov. 10,1825, and had but one son—William V. He was born April 23, 1863, on section 16, in Copley Township. He has always remained at home and has received a liberal education, so that he is a highly cultivated and intelligent young man. He at present has charge of the farm and is also engaged in stock and grain raising. He is a keen, quick thinker, and a ready speaker for a young man, and is Republican in belief; and although years have not yet added the touch of experience to him nor whitened his locks, though his firm, strong form stands erect the image of his Maker, he is one of the representative young men of the county and will live to be the support and stay of his mother's declining years, knowing that there it no nobler mission than to fulfill the command, "Honor thy father and thy mother." Mrs. McKie still resides on the home farm, and both she and her son are members of the Presbyterian Church, bound together not only by devoted motherly and filial love, but by that bond of Christian sympathy and tender affection " which in honor preferreth one another." (Portrait & Biographical Album of Knox County, Illinois, pub. in 1886, pages 323-324, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Mrs. Sarah Morse. Her husband , the late Dr. John M. Morse, was born Oct. 13, 1823, at Bethel, Windsor co., Vt.; son of Calvin and Elvira (Moody) Morse. He fitted for college in Bethel, but turned to the medical profession, and from 1846 to 1850 studied medicine under an eminent doctor, when he graduated from Vermont Medical College; came to Galesburg in 1854, where he had an extensive practice. On the 23, of Dec. 1875 he died, of apoplexy. His widow resides in Galesburg. (History of Knox County by C. C. Chapman & Co., pub. in 1878, page 696, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to Top
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be appreciated!
Knox County Home Page
Copyright © 2003-2006, Janine Crandell & all
All rights reserved
Updated March 27, 2004