Among the first settlers in Lynchburg township was Nelson Abbey, in the year 1837. He built a log cabin near where the village of Sny Carte now stands, which is supposed to have been the first house in Lynchburg township. During the next year William Rodgers settled near, and was soon followed by John Rodgers, his brother. There also came, in 1838, Amos Smith, Sr., with his sons, Amos, Jr., and B. F., who settled in the same vicinity. Then came John Camp and Richard J. Phelps. Then William Davis, James D. Reeves and George W. Phelps, all making a settlement in a radius of about four miles. Amos Smith, Sr., died in the fall of 1841. Amos Smith, Jr., was elected Magistrate for Linchburg precinct, on the first organization of Mason county, the same year, which office he continued to hold until his death, in 1851. He was also a county commissioner on the first organization. B. F. Smith, before named, engaged in farming and carpentering, accumulated a fine property, and died, March, 1867. His only surviving descendant, Benjamin B. Smith, resides on the old farm. The Smith family emigrated from Rochester, Windsor county, Vermont.|
Most of the early settlers of Linchburg came west poor, and the trials and hardships of improving new farms on these frontiers were very great without the accustomed conveniences of the east. It was common to walk several miles and back, in the wet grass, before breakfast, to get up the oxen for the plow.
Their milling was done at Sugar creek, in Schuyler county; on Spoon river, in Fulton; Painter creek, in Cass county; and, in later years, at Quiver, in Mason county.
This locality also suffered severely from chills and fever, which was no respecter of persons.
To describe the early elections of Lynchburg would be to repeat what we said on the preceding pages on the early elections of Salt creek, that their arguments were more forcible than elegant, but always conducted with energy. (See biography of M. A. Smith.)