Brother of O. H., and consequently
son of George and A. T. Wright, was born in Lockport, N.Y., April 14th,
1839; came with his parents to Illinois in the fall of 1847, and to Havana in
the spring of 1849. First went to school in the old school house that stood in
the present court house square. Thomas A. Gibson, now of Forest City, then
Like most boys, we find Mr. H. A. Wright prepared to do and doing such things as presented themselves to him. In 1855 we find him carrying mails to the town of Delavan once a week, among the beautiful prairies, covered with corn and grass that lie between here and that town. In 1856 we find him deputy postmaster in Havana, a position he was compelled to relinquish on account of health. In 1857 we find him in the banking house of Messrs. Rupert, Haines & Co., in this city, where he remained until it closed in 1860. He is then employed as deputy circuit clerk, in which position he has been such an indispensable necessity to the business of the office, that with one brief intermission, he has been permanently engaged there to the present time.
On July 3, 1860, he married Miss Josephine Parkhurst, daughter of Mr. Winslow Parkhurst of this city. A bright, intelligent little family have grown about then and enliven their pleasant home. A long personal acquaintance compels us to record him a prompt, upright, capable man, of strict business integrity, and a pleasant, genial gentleman. Enjoying good health, he bids fair for many years of usefulness in the community in which he resides.
Contributed by: Mandy Reiley
Copyright © Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved