At the time of the organization of the county, in 1841, there were but three precincts in the territory out of which the county was formed. The date of the formation of these three precincts in unknown to us, and, as the record of them belongs to other counties, it is not given. |
Havana Precinct included all the territory belonging to Tazewell County, extending from the north line of the county as far south as the north line of Town 20. The first election in the precinct of which we have any record was on the 7th of August, 1837, when there were but twelve votes cast. David Adams and Isaac Parkhurst were, at the time, Justices of the Peace. Eli Fisk and A. W. Kemp were also Justices of the Peace before the county was organized, and as early as 1838.
Salt Creek Precinct contained what is now the townships of Mason City, Salt Creek and Crane Creek, except that part of Mason City that lies north of Town 20. The only Justice known to us before the organization of the county, in the precinct, was Ira Patterson, who was serving as a Justice of the Peace at that time.
Texas Precinct included the territory lying west of Salt Creek and extending to the Illinois and Sangamon Rivers, of which Kilbourne, Bath and Lynchburg Townships are now composed. Albert J. Field and Arthur Morrow were elected Justices of the Peace in this precinct in 1838. These three constitute the original precincts of Mason City, and the remaining precincts were organized by the County Court in the order and date here given.
Lynchburg Precinct was formed out of that portion of Texas Precinct lying west of the range line running between 9 and 10, in the month of June, 1841.
Crane Creek Precinct was set off from the west side of Salt Creek Precinct in March, 1843.
Quiver Precinct was next in the order of formation, and was, at the same term of court, set off from Havana, and contained the territory lying north of the Quiver River to the county line.
At this same term of court, Texas Precinct had its name changed to Bath.
Sangamon Precinct was formed out of Bath and Crane Creek on the 8th of June, 1847, and was abolished in the year 1850. There was a general change and adjustment of precinct lines at the time Sangamon Precinct was organized.
Matanzas Precinct was organized out of Bath and Havana Precincts, on the 7th of September, 1847, and continued to the time of the adoption of township organization, in 1861, when it was left out of the new order or arrangement.
Allen's Grove Precinct was organized on the 2d day of September, 1851, out of territory belonging to Havana, Salt Creek and Quiver Precincts.
Egypt Precinct was organized out of territory taken from Allen's Grove and Quiver, on the 11th of March, 1853, and the name was changed to Manito on the 8th of September, 1858.
Prairie Creek Precinct was organized out of territory taken from the east side of Salt Creek, on the 8th of December, 1857. The name was changed to Mason City in September, 1857.
Mason Plains Precinct was organized out of the territory that now constitutes Forest City Township, on the 8th of December, 1857.
Pennsylvania Precinct was organized on the 8th of December, 1857, and was the last precinct organized in Mason County, making an even dozen, which number continued to the date of the abolishment of the precinct system, in 1861.