1879 History of Menard & Mason Counties
Chicago
Published by: O.L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers
186 Dearborn Street

Mason County

Chicago & Alton Railroad-Jacksonville Branch
Page 452

This road was first projected as the Tonica & Petersburg Railroad, incorporated in 1857, of which Richard Yates was President up to the date of the election as Governor, in 1860. In 1862, it was consolidated with the Jacksonville, Alton & St. Louis Railroad Company, and W. G. Green, of Menard, was the first President of the consolidated company. He was succeeded by George Straut, of Peoria. The road was leased to the C. & A. road, April 30, 1868, by whom it has been operated since that date. For several years, the line of road was operated from Jacksonville to Petersburg. In 1867, it was extended to Bloomington, reaching Mason City, in June and Bloomington on the 23d of September, 1867. The length of road through Mason County is twelve miles; standard gauge, and, in all respects, first-class.

Next
Previous
Mason History Index
Every Name Index

Home