City Public Schools
Wile Mason City has much to be proud of in general improvements, business facilities and beauty of location and surrounding country, none of these transcends in importance and influence her public schools, for here her children are provided a good and substantial education, thorough in every department, from the fundamentals well up into the classics and higher mathematics.|
In 1860, a frame school building was erected in the east part of town, which served its purpose well until the population rendered a more commodious building necessary. After renting such additional rooms as could be obtained to accommodate the pupils, a large three-story brick building on the west side was projected, and, after considerable contention, it was decided at an election to build a $20,000 schoolhouse on the half-block donated for that purpose by Mr. Straut, in his West Addition. This building is three stories in height with two schoolrooms on each floor. It was built the year 1868, and, as soon as completed, a graded school was organized, with Prof. F. C. Garbutt as Principal.
In 1877, our school population had further increased until another school building was demanded, and, to meet that demand, the beautiful new brick schoolhouse on the east side was built, at a cost of about $7,000. This is a substantial two-story brick, with two schoolrooms on each floor.
The names of the Principals who have presided over our graded public schools, since their organization as such, are as follows, in the order of their succession: F. C. Garbutt, three years; G. W. Dominique, three years; W. H. Williamson, two years; C. L. Raymond, one year; W. H. Williamson, one year; O. T. Denny, one year. We give a list of teachers employed each term since 1876, in the order of their respective grades:
Term commencing September, 1876: Prof. C. L. Raymond, Principal; Miss L. Effie Peter, Mrs. Sara E. Pierce, Miss Hettie I. Hamilton, Miss Nellie E. Wickizer, Miss Belle May, Mrs. M. A. Slade, Miss Josie Yost, Miss Lilla Cook.
The country district schools throughout the township are all in good condition, and each district is provided with a good schoolhouse. The ladies are to be especially commended for the heroism with which they have contended against and effectually broken down the old pioneer prejudice against them as school teachers, until now their abilities are recognized and appreciated in this grand and noble avocation, and, by dint of inexorable perseverance, they are largely in the majority as teachers in this township.
The names of the School Treasurers of the township from its organization down to the present time are as follows, in the order of succession; First, Michael Swing; second, Rev. L. R. Hastings; third, William Warnock, Jr.; fourth, Henry Cease; fifth, John Lazell, present incumbent.
The report of the Township Treasurer for this year shows the following statistics:
The County Superintendent of Schools is a resident of this city, and the above is from the last report of the Township Treasurer, on file in the County Superintendent's office.
The first Board of School Directors in this town was composed of Messrs. William Hibberd, Dr. A. R. Cooper and L. D. Cox. The present Board is composed of A. A. Cargill, L. B. Eulass and Mrs. T. C. Chamblin. The latter is the first lady upon whom the official honor of an elective school office was ever conferred in this county.