When Mason County was first laid off into townships or election precincts, what in now Kilbourne was included in the present townships of Bath and Crane Creek, and was not created until 1873, about the time of the building of the Springfield & North-Western Railroad. In its formation, three tiers of sections were taken from Crane Creek and a like number from Bath. It is described as Town 20 north, Range 8 west of the Third Principal Meridian, and contains a few sections in the southwest part over and above a regular Congressional Township. The soil, like that of Bath and Havana, is somewhat sandy, particularly in the timbered part of it, but produces well, and, as an agricultural district, is equal to any portion of the county. About three-fourths of the township is prairie, and generally of a level nature. The level land has been well utilized by artificial drainage, and numerous ditches traverse it. Carrying away the surface water, until much of this level prairie may be set down as among the most productive land in the county.|
Kilbourne is bounded on the north by Havana Township, on the west by Bath, on the south by the Sangamon River and on the east by Crane Creek Township. The Sangamon River, on its southern boundary, and Crane Creek in the southeast part, with numerous artificial ditches, effectually drain its level lands. The Springfield & North-Western Railroad runs through in almost a northwest direction, crossing the Sangamon River near the center, and passes out through Section 6, in the northwest corner toward Havana, its terminus. This road has benefited the town to a considerable extent, and, together with the villages of Kilbourne and Long Branch, will again be alluded to in this chapter.