Fifty years ago-half a century! A period of time that measures off the birth, growth and decay of almost two successive generations of mankind! Fifty years ago! Since then, what mighty changes have marked the onward march of time in this great and growing West! Cities have been builded, vast areas, even in out own State, populated, and large portions of its territory, reclaimed from native wildness, have been brought to a high state of cultivation and made to yield abundant harvests of plenty to the toiling husbandman. Within these years, the nation has been convulsed from its center to its circumference with the throes of civil war. The patriot son of the sturdy old pioneer has gone forth to battle in his country's cause, but his return comes not at setting of the sun. Thousands of homes have been made desolate by the cruel ravages of war in our own fair land, but the nation's honor has again been sealed by the blood of her noble and daring sons. Fifty years ago, not a single cabin had been erected in the territory now included in Quiver Township. Indeed, it is not definitely known that more than a single family had settled within the limits comprising the present county of Mason.|
This township is located in the extreme northwest corner of the county, and comprises in its area about fifty sections. It is bounded on the north and northwest by Tazewell County and the Illinois River; east by Manito and Forest City Townships; south by Sherman and Havana Townships, and west by the Illinois River. By far the larger portion of the township is prairie, the timber-land being, for the most part, confined to the western section along the river bluff. A limited amount of timber is found in the northeast corner of the township, the outskirts of what is known as Long Point timber. The character of the soil is similar to that of the adjacent townships. The western part is somewhat broken, often rising into bold, rounded bluffs and ridges of sand. The woodland portion is not very productive; it does not afford pasturage, nor, when cleared and cultivated, does it yield as abundant harvest as the prairie land. The central and southern portions are very fertile, and annually produce large crops of corn, wheat, rye and oats, thought corn is the staple product. Clear Lake and Mud Lake are found in the northwest corner of the township. Duck Lake, an expansion of Vibarger Slough, is situated in the southwestern portion of the township. Quiver Creek is the only stream of any consequence flowing through the township. This stream enters the township at its eastern boundary, flowing in a general southwestern direction through Sections 28, 29, and 30. Near the western boundary line of Section 30, its course changes to the northwest, and from this point the stream forms the dividing line between Havana and Quiver Townships. The township received its name from the water-course, of which we have just spoken. The creek is said to have been named by early huntsmen from Menard and Fulton Counties. At certain season of the year, standing a short distance back from the banks of the stream, one was enabled, by gently swaying the body to and fro, to impart a wave-like or quivering motion to the surface for some distance around him. From this it early acquired the name of Quiver land, and to the stream, naturally enough, the name Quiver Creek was applied. While it is a small and unimportant stream, it was made to subserve a large and important interest in the early settlement of the county. On the south bank of the stream, near the northeast corner of Havana Township, Pollard Simmonds erected a small grist-mill as early as 1838 or 1839. But as the mill is now included in the limits of Havana, a full account of the enterprise will be given in the history of that township.