Early Preaching, Marriages, Etc.
The earliest preaching, as was customary, was done at private houses and in barns. In 1844, Elder Josiah Crawford, a minister of the Disciples' Church, held a protracted meeting in Joseph Lybarger's barn. The nucleus of a church was thus early formed, which, for a number of years, met for worship at the residence of William Atwater. Elders Brockman and Powell were among the early ministers of the congregation.|
There are two churches in the township outside of the village of Topeka. The Old School Presbyterian Church was built in 1853, at a cost of $1,000. It is situated on Section 14, and for a number of years the congregation was in a flourishing condition. For the past few years, the building has remained unoccupied, save on funeral occasions. The early Pastors of the Church were Revs. William Perkins, C. W. Andrews and Rev. Bennett. Among the early communicants we find the names of John Appleman and wife, Robert Cross and wife, Mrs. Sophia Vanarsdale, Mrs. Chapman, Mrs. Esther Brown, Daniel Waldron and wife, David Beal and wife. The first Elders of the congregation were Robert Cross and Daniel Waldron.
The principal burying-ground of the township is connected with this building. Expensive and tasteful monuments mark the final resting-place of many of her early settlers in this cemetery. The first interment was that of Robert Cross, which occurred in 1852. Since that date, many of his associates have put aside the burden of life, and are sleeping, sweetly sleeping, in the same beautiful inclosure. Indeed, the names of most of the early settlers are found here among the sleepers. Indeed, the names of most of the early settlers are found here among the sleepers.
The Christian Chapel, located in the same section, was erected in 1866, at a cost of $900. Joseph Lybarger and wife, William E. Magill and wife, John Hines, William Atwater and wife, were the earliest members of the Church. Elder Andrew Page was the first Pastor. Elders Judy and Haughey have labored for the congregation, the latter of whom occupies the pulpit at present. The religious zeal of the early settlers often led them to travel a distance of ten miles or more to attend "meetin'," and that, too, riding after an ox team. Now, a man or a woman who will do that will, unquestionable, be saved. They might have walked, no doubt, but for the sake of religion they were willing to sacrifice ease and comfort, and ride.
William Atwater and Elizabeth Ringhouse were married in December, 1840, Isaac Parkhurst, Justice of the Peace, officiating. This was, doubtless, the first marriage celebrated in what is now Quiver Township. As this section was at that date a part of Tazewell County, Mr. Atwater obtained his license at Tremont, the county seat.
The earliest practitioner of whom we have any record given was a Dr. Buckner, from Cass County. The exact date of his coming cannot be ascertained. He also combined school-teaching with his practice. Dr. Allen and E. B. Harpham were early practitioners among the denizens of Quiver, the latter of whom is at present a resident physician of Havana. The first birth in the township was that of Fidella Lybarger, a daughter of Joseph Lybarger, the first settler. She was born in 1837. A widowed sister of Henry Seymour's, Mrs. Maria Elan, who died in 1838, was, perhaps, the first death to occur in this part of the county. The year following, 1839, the death of Mrs. Henry Seymour occurred.
The political status of the township has been largely Republican since the formation of that party. During the days of Whiggism and Democracy, the old Whig party was in the ascendancy. Throughout the late civil war, she furnished her complement of brave boys to the rank and file of the army, and many of her noble sons attested their fealty to the dear old flag by yielding up their lives in defense of its honor in the hour of its greatest peril. As an agricultural district, Quiver compares favorable with other portions of the county adjacent. Her resources are mainly derived from her vast annual products of corn, wheat, rye, and the other cereals cultivated here.