Interesting to Know|
Miller's Ferry Toll Rates on the Sangamon River 1839. Ferry rate schedule set up by the court allowed Miller 12 3/8 cents for ferrying a man and a horse: 6 1/4 cents for each footman or single horse: 5 cents for each head of cattle: 2 cents for every sheep or hog: 50 cents for every four horse wagon and team: 75 Cents for every six horse wagon and team and 25 cents for every tow horse wagon or pleasure carriage. In the event the river was at overflow stage, rates could be doubled.
Every winter all the merchants filled ice houses
in town from Baker's Watkin's and lake run ponds.
That the streets in Oakford were only dusty roads.
The Harmon Brothers operated a steam bath at
the southwest edge of town on the creek.
During the night of November 1, 1907 Oakford's
Depot and Saloon were destroyed by fire.
Oakford voted dry. 62 to 98 in 1907.
Much of our pictorial history has been preserved
by town photographers Barkus, Jarvis, Atterberry and George Whitley.
Hunters sold rabbits and ducks to the stores in Oakford.
These were barreled and shipped to the large cities. Maltby
brought raw hides from the hunters. This was one main source
of income for Oakford families.
July 1907---- Operators at Oakford was notified by Petersburg
sheriff that train number 61 south, carried several desperadoes.
They had robbed several citizens of Havana and had hopped the train.
A large posse was formed by Dan McHenry and searchers found that
the bandits had cut five cars loose and escaped by foot.
May 24, 1907,-- Oakford old timers state this was
the coldest May they can remember.
August 1907 -- U. J. Altig has resigned his position
as night operator at Oakford for the C.P. & St.L. Railroad.
February 1908 -- People of Oakford journeyed to
Chandlerville, Illinois to help the steam boat "Virginia"
come up the river. its cargo being a lard sand pump
to be used at the gravel pit north of town on C.P.& L.Railroad.
April 17, 1908 -- Election held in Oakford and the
proposed high school carried by 20 votes. The consolidation
includes four districts with the territory extending into Cass
County. it is believed that the new addition to the school will
be completed this summer.
July 1907 -- doctors Prince and Penick had a
dangerous experience at Kay Watkins Ferry. They
were crossing the Sangamon by ferry enroute to
Havana, Illinois. The old ferry was somewhat water
logged and as they were nearing the north bank, the
boat sank. Going down with the passengers, was
their car. Several teams of horses were used to drag
the ferry to the bank.
In early years Oakford had a bakery in back of M.O. Atterberry's Store.
Oakford's population in 1917: 368
The town Marshall filled the kerosene street lamps at dusk with enough
fuel to last the night.
When men with identical names were identified
with Oakford's own nicknames
Watkins-- Banjo Sam, Daddy Sam, Coony Sam.
Thomas-- Spicy Jim, Windy Jim, Porky Jim.
Hohimer -- Fightin' Johnny, Red Johnny.
On December 19, 1925. Oakford witnessed its worst
sleet storm. Communications were interrupted for six weeks.
Carrie Nation was started from a chute on all
Oakford formed a vigilante groups and chased the gypsies from the community
When an Oakford drunk made an emergency ring on the Chandlerville telephone line west of Oakford early one Sunday morning? He spread the tale gypsies had invaded Oakford killing babies, kidnapping women, etc. Naturally, everyone listened in and the excitement which followed was unbelievable. The drunk said the gypsies were headed west and hung up. People ran from their homes with their kids to hide in the wheat fields. When the news reached Mt. Olive Church, services were ended and everyone hurried home to protect their possessions. Road blocks were established at the bridges, but no gypsies were located.
July, 2907--Sam Watkins sold a 2 year old horse for $500.99 to William Nack of San Antonio, Texas.
The teenage boys dug the church basement three feet deeper so they could play basketball.
When the twins of Frederick and Catherine
Schoneweis died of diptheria. Mr.Schoneweis walked
up the hill from his house to a bare spot near an evergreen tree.
Evidently he became confused in directions for the graves were dug
north and south. The are still visible today in the old German
Cemetery on Sandridge.
Before the Pecan Chapel was moved to town,
services were held above the Sutton and Kendall
building. Miss Moore and Dr.Whitley directed the services.
Before the steeple was installed on the church the
bell stood on a stand in the yard in front. it was used for
all emergencies including deaths, fire, and services.