Old Number 27 at Oakford
Oakford's existence hinged on the railroad. It was when the railroad passed the community that the village was surveyed. The early trains in the 1880s were diamond stacks; however, old number 27 made its appearance here in the early 1900s.
Being early operators on the road Henie Myers and C.E. Stroh both remember
This is the original depot (1896) which burned in 1907
as did the Schlitz tavern next
door operated by Casey Bowman.
Then the railroad and Oakford section crew stole Atterberry's depot
on a Sunday. They loaded it on a flat car and moved it to Oakford
So much trouble developed that the railroad had to build Atterberry
a new depot. Some old timers still living recall this incident.
At the time of this picture there was no water tank at Oakford.
But soon thereafter a well was sunk and Oakford became a
watering point for the trains. At one time a push engine was
stationed at Oakford to assist the freights in making the long
curves all the way up to Atterberry. At this time Charlie Phelps
and his wife Clem were leaving for California while
Edward Holland was operator. The three boys are the older
Whitley boys waiting for the arrival of the train.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved