They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872

Shipping Pens
Page 11

Soon after the railroad went through the village the shipping pens were erected on the present site of Stroh Oil Company. Owned by the railroads, the pens were used by farmers for holding their livestock for shipment to market by rail.

Some of the livestock dealers who used these yards were Newton Goodell, who lived up on the hill Jack Dowell and Luther Lynn. Lynn continued this trade into the 1930s He went through the country buying hogs until he had a carload and then shipped them to market.

Next
Previous

Index

Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors

Home