Village of Oakford
(From R.D. Miller's "History of Menard County 1879")
This is a small village on the S.&N.W.R.R. and
was surveyed and platted by A.J.Kelley. County Surveyor
for the proprietors. William Oakford and William Colson in
March 1872. The town plat contains sixty acres and is in
the midst of a fine agricultural district. The land on which the
town is situated belonged to Colson and Oakford acquired a
half-interest for his influence in securing a station. A public
sale of lots was made April 11, 1872. at which time some
$2000 worth were disposed of and soon after improvements
began to be made.
The first building or shanty on the town site was
what was known as the railroad store, a kind of
portable affair carrying chiefly in stock a supply for
the railroad hands. Soon after the village was laid out.
William Oakford built a storeroom and opened out a stock
In the summer of 1872 . a general store was opened
by Calvin Atterberry, who had been in business at
"Bobtown." This was purchased in 1873, by Isaac Ogden
and A.G. Colson. In January 1874 L.W. Roberts bought
out Colson and the firm became that of Odgen and Roberts.
In October 1875 they sold out to Sutton Bros. who have
since conducted the business.
In June 1873 H. A. Bennett from Petersburg opened
out a stock of drugs and shelf goods in the old railroad
storeroom. this he soon after sold to William Colson and
he in turn to A.G. Colson and J.H. Green.
In January 1876 S.L. Watkins the present proprietor
bought the establishment.
In the spring of 1875 Dr. J.D. Whitley and W.C. Roberts
erected a building and opened a drug store. T.P. Renshaw & Co.
began the operation of a branch store with a general stock in
August 1878. They occupy the room erected by Watkins &
Colson and formerly occupied by Moon & Gault of Petersburg.
Their main store is located in Chandlerville, Cass County.
Oliver J.Maltby and J.W. Walker started a harness shop
in 1876. This branch of business is at present operated by
Berget Guist from Virginia Cass County.
A confectionery and restaurant is operated semi occasionally
by C.P. Stith. James S. Carter form Petersburg opened a
furniture store here in 1877 but did not continue long. Dr.J.D.
Whitley and Charles Meyers built the first dwellings in the
village in the summer of 1872. Meyers had formerly kept a
doggery at Robinson's Mills and supplied the villagers and
surrounding inhabitants of the infant Oakford with fire-water for
the space of two years. James P. Thomas familiarly known
as "Porky Thomas" now issues out rations to the "boys" in
the way of "smiles".
James S. Carter after closing out his furniture store,
operated a saloon and still operates it. Gilbert Skaggs,
now editor of the Chandlerville Independent, built the
first blacksmith shop in the village. This was purchased
by James McElhern who cam from Canada, and was the
first blacksmith in the place.
L.W. Roberts, Isaac Ogden, William Jackson, A.G.
Colson, Henry Garber, James McElhern and perhaps
others built dwellings in the summer of 1874 and for
a time the village seemed to be well out on the
highway to prosperity. But the storm is ever
succeeded by the calm, so the spirit of improvement
gradually subsided and the village has pretty much
since remained the status quo.
The first practitioner to locate in the village was
Dr. J.D. Whitley, who has recently taken up his
residence in Petersburg. Jacob A.Bolinger, M.D.
is the present resident physician. He has but
recently located here and is a young man of
much promise in his profession. He is an
alumnes of Missouri Medical College.
Rev. John Kennedy, a minister of the
Baptist persuasion preached her in quite an
early period of the village history.
Typical Residence of Oakford
The above picture is a typical homestead in Oakford
prior to 1900. This is the home of Elliott which was
located east of the William Severns residence today.
Soon after Oakford was founded many of these homes
were moved into town from the rural area.
No schoolhouse or church building has ever
been erected in the village limits.
Services are held occasionally by the different
denominations of the vicinity in the hall over
the storeroom of Renshaw & Co.
The mortality among the children of the
village and neighborhood in the summer of 1873 was very
great. Five interments sometimes occurred in a single day
at the Oakford Cemetery. The first death among the adult
population was that of Horace Purdy whose decease
occurred in the winter of 1872. His wife also died a few weeks
The first birth was that of a son of John Whitley ,
born in September 1872. The marriage of A.G.Colson
and Rachel Skaggs, in November. 1872 and that of
L.W.Roberts and Carrie C. Ogden, in March 1873
were the first weddings that occurred in the village.
The post office was established soon after the
village was started. It is at present presided over by
S.L. Watkins. Low & Foster built a small elevator
in 1877 and handle the grain shipped from this point.
A case of justifiable homicide occurred in the
village during the summer of 1876. James McElhern
who has already been mentioned as the first blacksmith
lost his life at the hands of one A.J. McDonald.
McElhern was a man of grate physical strength and of
rather a quarrelsome disposition especially when under
the influence of intoxicants. It was clearly proven at the
preliminary examination that McDonald was making
every effort possible to avoid and encounter, but finding
every avenue of escape cut off, suddenly turned upon
him and delivered a pistol shot which proved fatal.
The grand jury failed to find a bill of indictment and
so that matter ended.
The business interests of the village today are
represented as follows: Two general stores, one
drug store, one harness shop, one boot and shoe
shop, one barber shop, one flour and feed store,
one butcher shop, two saloons and one grain elevator.
The population of the village does not exceed two hundred.
Oakford was incorporated in March 1892. The first
village board was J.J. Stroh, president, E.J. Thomas,
clerk, O.J.Maltby, treasurer, John Benson police.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved