Oakford Post Office
Since there are no postal department records
available of local employees of past years, we had
to rely on our own research.
In 1872 when Oakford was founded, there was a
mass exodus from Robinson Mills, Illinois (Bobtown).
Doctor Whitley, the postmaster, simply picked up and
moved to the new town. Of course, when the postal
inspector made his yearly call, he found no post office.
When he did locate Dr.Whitley, it is said, the doctor
had to return the equipment to the old location, until
the records could be established. At this time
John Bonnett became the new postmaster of Robinson
Mills and Dr.Whitley became the first official postmaster
In 1873 Dr. Whitley turned over the duties to L.W.
Roberts, ( who was a merchant with Colson). In the
building we know as M.O. Atterberry store. Dr.Whitley
attended medical school for a few months and on his
return in 1873, continued until 1879 as the town
postmaster. At this time Dr. Whitley moved to
Petersburg and whether Roberts took over the duties
again, we don't know. The post office remained in the
M.O. Atterberry store until 1899 when O.J. Maltby
was appointed the new postmaster and continued in
this office until 1913.
From this time on the office moved around. First
in the Kendall building, Maltby's annex, Red's barber
shop, and the bank building. Today it's in the new post
office building built during the 1950s
After Maltby, some of the othr postmasters were
Bertha Ashmore, Barcus, Earl Allen and today Homer
Lynn. Throughout the years Oakford has had only
one rural route. Frank Greenwood was the first
appointee followed by Crit Bailey, Emmerson Moss
and Melvin Justice. The substitutes were Will Bailey,
Louis Lounsberry and Dale DeMonbrun.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved