They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872
Telephones Come To Oakford.
It was hailed as a step forward in communications
when in about 1900 the first Oakford telephone was
installed in Dave and Ellen Lee's boarding and rooming
house. when the Independent Telephone Company
installed another phone in the same room Mrs. Lee
was kept busy relaying messages to people on the
West of town, the farmers built the first lines
known as the People's Telephone Company.
Most switchboards were located in the operators
homes. In Oakford it was first in the Lute's home
where Lutes girls. Ruth Ruggles and Beatrice Button
Kendall were some of the first operators.
Later the switchboard was moved to the building now
occupied by Michael Blair. The accompanying photo of
Mable Thomas at the switchboard and Lilly Thomas
manager was taken in the middle section of the
the switchboard was moved overhead and to
the front of the M.O. Atterberry building with Bertha
Ashmore as manager. The last place to house the
telephone office was in the Nora Armstrong house
managed by Bertha Ashmore.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved