|They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872
Oakford Hall Company
When the village began showing a desire for
culture in the early 1890s some business men urged
the erection of a town hall for presenting different
forms of entertainment. John Gum, O.J. Maltby and
Dave Lee were named directors of the new
organization and the hall was built in 1894 on the south
side of Center Street just south of the church. For
years the building accommodated oyster suppers,
revivals, Lyceum courses, dances and sport events.
Dave Lee organized a roller skating club here in
1907 which was popular for years.
Later, the building was known as the Star
Theater. Walter Thomas, Jacob Garber and Will
Davis operated movies there at different times.
Following a dance in 1932, the building burned.
Later the same year the village board voted to erect a
brick town hall which stands west of Boeker's Store
today. During the "30"s and "40"s this building was used
nearly every night for events such as sports, Gifford
Players movies etc. The new addition on the Oakford
Grade School has eased the demand for the town hall.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved