View of Business District West of Tracks
This view allows us to acquaint you with many of the old buildings, built
at the founding of Oakford in 1872.
The one on the left was built by the Sutton Bros. in 1874 or 1875. They
the business for four or five years, selling to Jim Hubbard, who carried on
business into the early 1890s. He sold to the Watkins family, which eventually
was taken over
by Eli. He operated the store until his death in the early 1900s. His wife
continued for a time. Max Gehring, who had been working for Atterberry,
opened a business. From this time on, at different time through the years, these
people operated restaurants: Happy Jack; Deny Case; Hez and Gene Garber; John
Stewart; Al Francis; Emmerson Moss; Marie Atterberry; Alva Reitzel; and Velda
Greenhalgh and George and Eli Vaughn. In the intervening years, Jack Slaughter
opened a grocery for a time.
building is known as the Maltby building, built back in the
1870s. Maltby first began as a harness maker, but later operated a general store
for many years. For a short time, Morgan Bros. were in business here, as well
as the Stewart Bros., Edgar Hollis, and Rube Winters, who sold to Louis Brauer
in 1928. Louis probably operated as large a business as anyone. His store
was in operation during the depression years. He carried a complete line of
groceries, meats and hardware. In the late '30's, Louis moved to the Lutes
building. The Maltby building was used by Linus Dietsch as a tavern. Next
was Julius Harris, who sold to Lucille and Paul Lutes. They operate the
tavern at this writing.
building, a lean-to, was erected by Maltby for his daughter,
Clemna, to operate a dress and hat shop. When she left for the West, Maltby used
it as a harness shop. He rented it at one time to Doc Evans as a store. It
has had many different uses, mostly as a restaurant, barber shop, and post
office. During the forties, it was used as a recreation center, restaurant and
pool room. Today, it is used as an annex to Boeker's Store.
building is the old building erected by the Colsons. Later used
by Sam Watkins; Pestel and Atterberry; and M.O. Atterberry, who developed a
huge business. As the business grew, he had additions erected. Atterberry left
in 1917-1918. It was vacant until Blessman opened an implement business.
Later, a store by Slaughter was here; then a restaurant by Sam Lynn. In 1933,
George Vaughn opened a tavern for a short time, selling to Linus Dietsch. The
building burned in 1944. (Upstairs housed the telephone exchange.)
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved