Pestel and Atterberry Store ---1893
The front section of this building was moved from a mill west of Oakford on Clary's Creek, south of the Shadd farm by the Ogdens. Later Samuel Watkins
operated a drug store here for years. he sold his business in 1892 to Henry Pestel and M.O. Atterberry; they handled drugs and hardware. Later Pestel sold
his interest to Atterberry, and this was the beginning of a thriving business. At
one time Atterberry's store included the bank, hardware, drugs, groceries, etc.
In fact, old timers referred to the business as Sears Roebuck of Oakford. When
Oakford was at its peak, he employed eleven employees at one time. Atterberry
left around 1917-1918, and from then on the store was vacant until Ralph Blessman
opened an implement business. In later years the building was used as a
restaurant by Sam Lynn, a grocery store by Jack Slaughter, a saloon by
Linus Dietch and Abe Moss. The upstairs was used as the telephone office for
years and was later rented to local residents as living quarters. From left to right are
unknown, M.O. Atterberry, Tillie Reid (Pharmacist), Pestel, Genie Atterberry, and
Nelson Dick (Town Marshal).
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved