Fourth of July Celebration---1892
This picture was taken on July 4, 1892, during Oakford's
first celebration. The picture shows the old railroad store that
William Oakford was using as a canteen along with the railroad crew.
After the railroad was completed he moved it on the above location
and established Oakford's first store, which he soon sold to Calvin Atterberry.
The establishment exchanged hands many times throughout the years
serving as drug store, restaurant, and later the Oakford Stock Company used it
as their office. The building to the east was a saloon operated by James Hall,
and then later Waldo Watkins and Casey Bowman operated the business until
it burned in 1907. This picture was taken shortly after the incorporation of the
town after new kerosene lights and board walks had been installed. The town
Marshall's job was to fill the lights with kerosene and light them each night.
The people of the picture from left to right are Jessie Lucas, Joe Fossie,
and Pad Watkins.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved