They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872

Village Blacksmith Shop
Page 37

Oakford always had at least one blacksmith however during the thriving years there were sometimes two operating this trade. The first blacksmith shop was built by Gilbert Skaggs in 1874 with James Mc Elkern, a Canadian, as the first blacksmith

Shortly after 1874, J.J.Stroh Sr., moved in from Salisbury and Ike Harmon came in from Robinson Mill. Stroh's shop located between Marie Ishmael and Clarence Stroh's home of today. McElkern, a big man and quarrelsome, engaged in a quarrel with an acquaintance and was shot thus recording Oakford's first murder. Hank Bryant,Rube Winters, and Casteel and Martin Parrott who carried on the trade from 1919 to the late 40s or early 50s

Next
Previous

Index

Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors

Home