They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872

Old Club House On The Sangamon
Page 39

There were very few residents in Oakford who didn't like to fish or hunt. Many owned a club house that stood on the old channel of the Sangamon, west of Oakford. (on the Lawrence Baker land of today). Each year groups would either close their businesses for a week or have someone operate them and they'd spend a week enjoying the nickname of the Sangamon, "the land of plenty." Maltby seldom missed a group going on these expeditions and the above picture shows their prize.

Next
Previous

Index

Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors

Home