They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872

Weaver's Ferry
Page 42

During the 1890s Elisha Armstrong traveled to Macoupin County and brought a complete saw and grist mill. For a year or so it was located along a creek south of our new water pump house. He later moved the saw mill due north of Oakford and began cutting the virgin timber. After the river was straightened much of the good timber was located on an island north of the channel. Later years Weaver bought the mill, and a ferry was established to haul the loaded log wagon across the channel. This was Carter's ferry that was located at the bridge, and when they moved it is not known; however, the above picture is of the Weaver ferry.

Next
Previous

Index

Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors

Home