They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872

Bobtown School
Page 80

The settlement of Robinson Mills was forming in the early 1830s. Later a survey and plat was made and named Bobtown when the property belonged to John Bonnett. Pioneers were concerned for their children's education.

Although little information is available on the Bobtown School. Old timers of several years ago stated a one room log cabin stood at the foot of Kingfisher hill. Later, when School District No.23 of Menard County was formed, a new building was built southwest of the Inn on the west bank of Clary's Creek. This school accommodated students to the southwest as well as the Bobtown area.

Some of the teachers were Pearl Altig, Edith Lynch, and Beatrice Kendall with the last teacher being Adam Hibbs. The school was closed in 1916 with the building being moved to Oakford where it became a part of the Earl Allen residence which has since been razed.

Next
Previous

Index

Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors

Home