They Left Their Mark In Oakford, 1872

Kay Watkins School
Page 81

The Menard County Atlas of 1874 indicates the Kay Watkins School was in existence then. Records show on May 4, 1898, Ryal and Martha Armstrong sold the school trustees one-half acre of land for $20. This school served the community until the close of the 1946-47 school year. Some early teachers were O.L. Duncan, W.W. King, H.B. Kirk, Fred Smith, and Sarah Anderson. Later teachers were Marie Schonewis, Margaret Skaggs,and Mildred Kramer. Pioneer family names were Watkins, Randall, Boeker, Lukins, Potter, Prunm and Bissell. The building is now being renovated to be used to house Hamblin Feed Service.

Next
Previous

Index

Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors

Home