New Hope Baptist Church
In 1833 the Cumberland Presbyterians and
Baptist of the Sandridge Precinct organized a single
congregation. In 1852 the first building. Sandridge
United Baptist Church of Jesus Christ, was erected on
land donated by Noah King (half mile west of present
church.) Some family names listed among the
members were: Armstrong, Close, Hudspeth, Kincaid
Allen, Short Henky, James, Thomas.
In 1883 the pastor, Thomas Potter officiated at
the marriage of Henry Edwards and Mary Elmore.
That same year, the first organ was purchased. Flora
Kincaid was the first organist and Tade Todd led the
The church was destroyed by fire March 13, 1898.
The members decided to rebuild across the road from
the Wesley Kincaid residence. Deacons at that time
were Lincoln Short, Ed Cogdal, George Dawson,
Charlie Nance and Jim Nance.
Frank Loften of Petersburg built the church for
approximately $1,500. The Sandridge New Hope
Baptist Church was completed that summer and
dedicated September 18, 1898, with Rev.Porter,
Jerseyville, Illinois, presenting the dedicatory
sermon. Dinner was served in the Kincaid yard
under the trees. Of the 35 members. Mrs. Nettie
Tuttle of Petersburg is still living.
The first pastor was B.F.Drake of White Hall,
Illinois. In 1908 the first furnace was installed, being
replaced in 1946. The basement was completed in 1925.
In 1939 the church was wired for electricity.
Services are still being held.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved