Oakford M.E. Church
Condensed from J.W.Lynn's History
In 1836, Peter Cartwright, pioneer Methodist
circuit rider, and William Lynn with the help of
Jonathan and Matthew Lounsberry and other
interested neighbors, built a church about two
miles southwest of Oakford. The building was
dedicated as Lynn Chapel but later became
known as Pecan Chapel. This church served
a large territory and a thriving congregation
until the older generation passed away.
After several years with no regular
services, B. H. Shankland, a farmer-preacher
from Chandlerville, preached on December
13, 1885. This was followed by almost
daily services for seven weeks with 500
people attending on January 24. Many
names were added to the church rolls.
It was then decided the church could
best serve the community if it were moved
to the thriving Oakford village. The idea was
so strongly opposed by some, the building
was guarded to prevent its destruction.
The congregation grew until it was
necessary to add Sunday School room and
belfry in 1904. In just a few years more room
was needed which made a basement desirable.
After several setbacks it became a reality in 1929.
C. L. Springer was the first pastor, followed by
M. Shunk. The Reverends Baldridge, Bracewell and
Loveless did much towards various remodeling projects
Rev. Ed. Millhouse is presently serving the church.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved