Mt Olive Baptist Church
Mt. Olive Baptist Church is six miles west of
Oakford on the scenic National Lincoln Memorial
Highway in Cass County.
In August 1859 a group of Sangamon River
Bottom residents met at the Dick School Building to
form a Church of Christ. The four charter members
were George Sutton, Elizabeth Sutton, Nathan Sutton
and Ann Sutton.
On September 4, 1859. Mt. Olive became a
member of the United Baptist Association. M.P.
Hartley was the first pastor and served a four year
On June 9, 1870, John Hawthorne and wife deeded
the church grounds to the trustees.
In 1933 the building was reroofed and redecorated.
The church was wired in 1938. In 1950 when the
interior was redecorated and oil furnace was installed.
In 1957 the building was raised and a basement dug.
The highest membership was 147 in 1859. Pastor
Vern Gerdes is now serving the church, with a total of
The old landmarks of their forefathers are
maintained by Mt. Olive.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved