Oakford's Improvements in Later Years
The dirt streets in the village were first graveled during 1928-29. They received the asphalt and oil base in 1938.
In August 1961, the Oakford Fire Department was organized. Through community effort, all working side by side, money was raised by dances, chili suppers, chicken fries and food tents. This money was used first to buy a truck, tank and booster pump and other equipment. Later the ground and building were purchased to house the fire fighting equipment. It has since been given to the village, but is still of a volunteer status. The fire department is proud of their contributions to the community.
City gas became a reality with its installation in September 1968.
In connection with the school, Oakford has a play area. But in the summer of 1949, by volunteer work, the ball park received new lighting facilities. In 1969, rest rooms were erected. In the picnic area, new tables and shelter were added also.
September 1963 saw the first vapor street lights installed, the project being finished in April 1969.
In 1953, the C&IM Railroad gave the village their old well and water tank. The water tank was removed and erected on the hill at the south edge of town. In 1956, the village water system was installed. Our new town well came into being in December 1970. Federal housing was approved for the village in September 1971. There will be three locations and include 10 units, both for the elderly and families.
We feel our people take pride and joy in the village and our way of life. Since 1945, sixteen new homes have graced our streets.
Copyright © 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved