Illustrated Atlas Map of Menard County, Illinois 1874|
Published by W.R. Brink & Co., of Illinois
Sketch of Petersburg
The Town Site
Petersburg, the metropolis and capital of Menard County, is one of the most charmingly located towns in central Illinois. The streets are laid out at right angles with each other, for the most part being broad and pleasant, and lined on either side with shade-trees, shrubbery, and tasty dwellings. Sidewalks abound along all prominent thoroughfares, and add to the general thrifty appearance. The mercantile business is mostly done upon the four sides of the public square, in the centre of which stands the court-house.
Petersburg was incorporated as a town, by act of the Legislature, in 1841.
Petersburg Laid Out-- Origin of its Name
Petersburg was originally laid out by George Warburton and Peter Leukins, who were the joint owners of one hundred and sixty acres of land situated on Section 14, Township 18, Range 7, -- the present town site. At the time these parties conceived the idea of laying out a town, there was a nondescript on the land, by courtesy called a mill, the property of a Mr. Eastep, which had been erected in 1826. This was the sum total of "improvements" in 1833. Having determined to found a town that they prophesied would some day eclipse all its rivals in the County. Messrs. Warburton and Lukins employed a surveyor and had their entire possessions laid off in town lots, blocks, etc. This done, the proprietors waited patiently for the town to grow. Becoming discouraged with its slow progress, they finally sold out their entire interests in the place to Messrs. John Taylor and Hezekiah King, who employed Abraham Lincoln, at that time a Deputy County Surveyor of Sangamon, to resurvey the town. This was done, and the plat of the town, as re-laid out, was recorded on the 22d of February, 1836. In this connection, it may be of interest to state that Petersburg owes much to chance in its christening. While the town was yet the property of George Warburton and Peter Lukins, they disputed as to what should be the name of the embryo city to which they stood godfathers. Each of the parties desired and positively insisted on naming the town after himself, -- "Georgetown" being proposed by Mr. Warburton, and "Petersburg" by Mr. Lukins. At this juncture Warburton proposed that they cut the Gordian knot by playing a game of "old sledge," the winning party to have the naming of the town. Lukens immediately accepted this proposition, and in less time than it has taken us to chronicle the matter, he beat his antagonist; and, rising from the empty nail-keg on which he had been sitting, he christened the infant town PETERSBURG, a name that it has since retained.
Early Settlement of the Town
But few families were residing in the place up to 1836, -- the families of Messrs. Davidson and Lukins being the first to locate. The early settlers of the place, in addition to those we have named were Richard Taylor, Wm. Butler, Dr. John Lee, Isom and George Davidson, Wm. P. Cox, W. G. Green, Thomas Efferson, Wm. J. Hoey, John Bennett, C. G. Brooks, Septimus Levering, A. D. Wright, Jacob H. Laning and family, R. E. Bennett, James S. Carter, Adney Humphrey, John McNeely, Saml. Hill, Wm. Bennett, Nathan Dresser, Chas. B. Waldo, Geo. U. Miles, James Taylor, Chester Moon, Thos. L. Harris, W. C. Dawson, Martin and Jordan Morris, Wm. Hagerty, J. W. Warnsing, Jackson Davidson, Dr. John Allen, and John McNamar. The first store opened in the place was by John Taylor, about the year 1833. Peter Lukins was the first shoemaker; Jordan Morris, the first blacksmith; James Tayl or, the first postmaster; W. C. Dawson, the first saddle and harness-maker; Carter & Humphrey, the first dealers in furniture and general cabinet ware; and Atchison & Miles the first livery men. John Bennett, yet a citizen shortly after taking up his residence here, bought Taylor's store, and for several years carried on the business. G. A. and Q. G. Davidson were also engaged in merchandizing at an early day, as were Wm. J. Hoey, Nathan Dresser, Bennett & Co. Dr. R. E. Bennett was the first physician to locate here. The first lawyer who "hung out his shingle" here was David M. Rutledge, brother of Miss Anna Rutledge, referred to romantically by W. H. Herndon in connection with his "Life of Lincoln." The first mill was a saw-mill, built on the town site in 1826. The fate of this mill is unknown. The next mill, a saw-mill and grist-mill, was built by a man by the name of Dorrell, from Prairie Creek, and was subsequently supplanted by the fine mill now operated by the Wright Bros., and which was built by a Mr. Sanford and by him sold to Captain A. D. Wright, in 1853, for eighteen thousand dollars. John Taylor established a saw-mill in Petersburg about the year 1836. The machinery for the operation of this mill was taken from a dismantled steamer that had "gone ashore" on the "raging Sangamon." A grist-mill was subsequently attached to the above works, and operated until its final destruction by fire. The Eagle Mills, now widely known and popular, were erected in 1867, by Nance, Bro. & Co., at a cost of twenty-four thousand dollars. These mills were operated by the above firm some fifteen months, when the property was purchased by Mr. Phil Rainey, who subsequently associated Mr. Thomas Barfield with him in the milling business. Under the management of those gentlemen the mill is doing excellent work, and is rapidly extending its trade.
Location of the County Seat at Petersburg
Menard County having been organized in the winter of 1838-9, the location of the County seat became a matter that greatly agitated the people. What is now Mason County was then a part of Menard (the former having been disconnected in 1841), and as there was no village then in existence near the geographical centre of this vast territory, there was a lively contest between New Market, Miller's Ferry, Huron, and Petersburg. The latter point, however, was too formidable an opponent for her competitors, and was awarded the County seat in the spring of 1839. The three villages first named have since become extinct. At this period, Petersburg contained about three hundred inhabitants. Having arrived at the dignity of a County seat, Petersburg began to increase rapidly in population. The court-house was erected in 1843, at a cost of six thousand six hundred and forty dollars. The architect and builder was Henry Dresser. This building is still used as a court-house. A jail was also erected about the same time, at a total cost of three hundred dollars. This building was superseded in 1870 by a fine brick-and-stone building, built at a cost of about twenty-two thousand dollars. The County business, it may be remarked in this connection, was transacted during the period intervening between the organization of the County in 1839 until 1843, in the counting room of an old store-house, that had been removed from Salem, and which was the property of John Bennett, Esq. The sessions of Circuit Court during this period were held in a store-room previously occupied by Grinsley & Levering, -- the grand jury being usually assigned quarters at some private house in the town. The old court building, though bronzed with age, and ripe for the sickle of the tomb builder, is still in use. Within its venerable halls the eloquence of a Douglas and a Lincoln, a Harris, a Logan, and a Thomas, has often in the past thrilled their hearers, and made the welkin ring with the thunders of applause.
Petersburg is governed by a Board of Trustees, consisting of the following gentlemen: John T. Brooks, President; Abraham Nusbaum, W. M. White, John Thompson, and Isaac White. The Board meets on the first Tuesday in each month.
Schools and Teachers -- The Past and Present
Conforming to the requirements of the age of progress and advancement, readily appreciating and acknowledging the fact that a people to be free, intelligent, and useful, must be educated. Petersburg has ever sought, by extending a liberal hand, to foster and promote within our midst the glorious and beneficent scheme of popular education. She has said unto her citizens, Educate your children, instruct your youth, without money and without price -- thus placing within the reach of all, even the lowest, humblest, and poorest, the greatest blessing the reach of all, even the lowest, humblest, and poorest, the greatest blessing a government can bestow -- a good and generous education. Far through the mists of the past, to that period in the town's early history when there were but a half-dozen rude cabins upon the site of Petersburg, was the system of popular education inaugurated which is to-day regarded with so much pride by every intelligent citizen. Then, it is true, no stately school-houses towered in our midst; no school board supervised the movements of the educators of youth, and no corps of teachers, patient, toiling instructors of the youthful mind, were to be found within our boundaries. These things belong to the past, and are part and parcel of another system. The "boys of the period" in those days obtained their supplies of "book larnin'" --meager and small as they were -- from sources not so high or so grand, but far different, indeed. One of the earliest teachers who initiated those boys into the mysteries of reading and writing, and led them through the dark mysterious ways of arithmetic and grammar, was Charles B. Waldo. He was plain and simple as the most artless boy under his direction, and was at once honest and conscientious as a teacher. He opened his school in 1836, in a little cabin which then stood near the present residence of Mrs. Charles Brooks. This rude building was long used for the purpose of a seminary for the children of the infant town. The present public school building, which stands two blocks south of the public square, was purchased by the school trustees in 1856. The building was originally built for a cabinet-shop--the Masonic Brotherhood using the second story as a lodge room. The teachers who succeeded Mr. Waldo are not remembered in their successive turns, and it was only with great difficulty that we were enabled to secure the following list of those who have in the past figured in our public schools as teachers, viz: Miss Cabbott, Miss Doren, Samuel C. Crane, a Mr. Hughes, William Dickey, William Stevenson, William Faith, A. K. Riggin, A. Brooks, Rev. E. McElfresh, a Mr. Moore, John C. Ley, James W. Bell. Judge J. H. Pillsbury taught the first free school, in the winter of 1855-6. He was succeeded by James Bell, and his by John Dorsey and Edward Laning. At this period, 1838, the school building was remodeled and considerably improved, and a large corps of teachers added to keep pace with the growth of the place. From this period to the present, the list of teachers is so voluminous that our space will not admit of its publication. Mr. C. Connelly, the present accomplished and popular principal of the public schools, assumed charge of the schools at the session which commenced in the fall of 1871, and has consequently taught three terms up to this writing (July, 1874). His assistants were as follows: First Term--J.W. Robinson, Miss Helen McKinley, Miss Belle Elam, Miss Lizzie Snape, Miss Anna Regnier. Second Term--G. W. Shephard, Miss M. Batterton, Miss Belle Elam, Miss Emily Davis, Miss Lizzie Patton, Miss Kittie McNeal, Miss Lillie Wray. Third Term--Thomas Levering, Miss Katie Hutchinson, Mrs. Emma L. Maltby, Miss Grace Brown, Miss Ellen Fisher, Miss Mary Batterton, Miss Lizzie Snape. The system of instruction is that prescribed by the State, and the public schools are presided over by a Board of Directors, who employ teachers and make all needful regulations for the management of the schools. The latter are divided into various departments in such a way that the best interests of the pupils are sub served, the departments embracing from primary to graded, and presided over by thoroughly competent teachers. In order to accommodate the rapidly increasing attendance at our public schools, the school trustees have commenced the erection of a fine, large, and convenient school building, located a few blocks north of the court-house. The new edifice will be completed within the new few months, and will cost between twelve thousand and fifteen thousand dollars. The present Board of Education for Petersburg consists of Dr. F. P. Antle, President; C. E. McDougall, Secretary; C. Shipp, D. T. Fouche, Hobart Hamilton, and C. B. Laning.
In the fall of 1870 the Petersburg Seminary, a private enterprise, was erected at a cost of between three thousand five hundred and four thousand dollars. The stockholders in this enterprise were: John Brohm, Isaac White, H. W. Montgomery, David Frackelton, B. F. Montgomery, J. M. Robbins.
The first term of school was opened in the fall of 1870. Teachers, First Term--W. S. Bennett, Miss M. A. Campbell. Second Term--D. M. Bone, Miss M. P. Rainey. Third Term--W. G. Webster, Miss M. P. Rainey. Fourth Term--Miss M. Hammond. The terms of this school are nine months.
The Several Church Organizations--A Few of the Early Ministers
There is, in our judgment, no more accurate criterion by which to judge of the character of a community than by the number and standing of its several churches, its schools, and its press. The masses of the people of Petersburg, happily, are eminently moral and Christian in their character, as is evinced by the constantly growing number of churches within their midst. There are now eight church organizations in Petersburg, viz: Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian (Cumberland and Old School), Catholic, Christian, Lutheran, and Episcopal. The Methodist Church of Petersburg was probably the outgrowth of an organization effected at the residence of E. B. Harrison, three and a half miles southeast of Petersburg, previous to 1830. The first organization in Petersburg was under the direction of Levi Springer, in 1835, at the residence of G. A. Davidson,--there being less than a dozen members present. The subsequent meetings of the society were held at the residences of members of the church and at various other points about town, until their present church, a brick structure, was completed in 1848. The names of the pastors who have succeeded Mr. Springer we could not learn. The church has a large membership, and is in a prosperous condition.
The Baptist Church was organized in 1854, with fourteen members, the Presbytery being N. J. Coffey and H. P. Curry. In 1856 the society built a comfortable brick church-building, thirty-five by sixty feet in length and breadth, twenty feet in depth, at a cost of four thousand dollars. The list of pastors who have from time to time filled the pulpit of this church, are as follows: N. J. Coffey, H. P. Curry, M. P. Hartley, T. Clark, A. Blount, P. G. Clark, J. M. Winn, and A. Scott. The church, by removals and deaths, was so weakened that for several years it was without a regular pastor. Rev. H. P. Curry, who assisted in the first organization of the church, and who has ever been a pillar of strength in the society for whose advancement in Central Illinois, he has labored with great earnestness and zeal for many years, is at present in charge of the church here. The society of Petersburg now numbers about eighty members, thirty of whom have been added within the past year.
The Old School Presbyterian Church is one of our early religious organizations; but the statistics we were unable to obtain, although we made every effort to secure them from its leading members. Their present house of worship, which stands one block north of the public square, is the oldest church in town, having been erected in 1841. The membership is probably larger than that of any other religious society in Petersburg.
The first Catholic congregation of Petersburg was organized in 1863. The society erected their present church building in 1865-66, at a cost of six thousand dollars. The location of the church is one of the most eligible in this section of the State, being situated on the heights of a commanding eminence in the southern part of the town, overlooking the latter, and affording a fine view of the valley of the Sangamon in the vicinity. In addition to the church edifice, the society have erected a parsonage, school-house, and other buildings, at a cost of about four thousand dollars. The first regular pastor of the church was Rev. William Cleuse, who was succeeded by Rev. Theodore Wegman, and the latter by the present pastor, Rev. A. J. Sauer. Previous to the erection of the church edifice, in 1865-66, the society was occasionally visited by Fathers Quigley, Fitzgibbon, Clifford, Janson, Metinger, Zebell, Costa, and others, and services held in private houses, in the court-house, and school-house. The present membership numbers about one thousand, and is the largest in the County. There is a day and Sabbath school connected with the church, with an average attendance of about seventy-five pupils.
St. Paul's [German Lutheran] Church, of Petersburg, was organized in 1861, with twenty-five members. Its house of worship, a brick edifice, was erected shortly after the organization of the society, and cost about two thousand dollars. The present membership numbers about seventy--the male members only being counted in the church. The present pastor of the church is J. Kaminski, who is an earnest and devout worker.
The Christian and Episcopal Societies are yet in their infancy as church organizations, and we have no statistics relative to them. The Episcopal denominations are at this writing erecting their first church building. The Cumberland Presbyterians have also an organization, but we were baffled in all attempts to get its statistics.
The Coal Interests of Petersburg
Petersburg is located in the midst of the great coal measures of the State, and in this essential element of a town's wealth is unsurpassed by any other locality in the West. The first coal mine in the vicinity (and the first one of any considerable importance in the County) was opened by Elijah Taylor during the year of 1865 or 1866. This mine was located near the Sangamon River, in the southeastern part of the town. The vein worked by Mr. Taylor was about sixty-five feet below the surface, and was eight feet four inches in thickness. This mine was subsequently discontinued, and a new mine, now denominated the South Valley Shaft, was opened in 1872 by Aug. Neise & Co., about one hundred yards distant from the Taylor shaft. This vein is similar to the old mine, and under its present management, is yielding a large supply of the finest article of bituminous coal. The developments made demonstrate that the supply is inexhaustible,--at least for many generations; State Geologist Worthen having estimated that there are yet two veins of almost equal thickness below the one now being worked.
Petersburg Woolen Mills--Their Origin
The foundation of the now widely known and extensive Petersburg woolen-mills was a wool carding hose power mill started by Hardin Bale, at Salem, about the year 1837. After the downfall of the latter, in 1842 or 1843, Mr. Bale removed his works to Petersburg, locating on the corner of Spring and Main Streets. Here he started a mule power carding machine, which he operated (adding additional machinery meantime) until 1852. During the latter year, he purchased an engine, enlarged his building by adding a third story, introduced a spinning jack, one hundred and sixty-eight spindles, and four looms. A grist mill was also added at this time. With those improvements perfected, Mr. Bale commenced the manufacture of woolen goods, and in lieu of counters used dry goods boxes; on which he stood his fabrics. A store room, however, was soon added, with additional machinery, and Mr. Bale seemed to be riding on prosperity's tidal wave. Mr. Bale subsequently formed a copartner ship with Samuel Hill. In February, 1865, Mr. Bale disposed of his interest in the works to his partner, and retired from business. In June, 1865, the entire property, together with a number of adjoining buildings, was destroyed by fire, involving a loss of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars being the largest conflagration ever known in the town's history. Nothing daunted by the fire in which he was a large loser, Mr. Bale at once took steps to resume operations. Being the owner of a brick park-house, one hundred and sixty-five feet by fifty-five feet, in the southeastern part of the town, he placed in it a jack of two hundred and forty spindles five benches of cards, fulling mills complete, and five looms. He also added a grist-mill with two run of burrs. Again he prospered. The fire fiend, however, deemed to ever dog his footsteps, and on the 22d of February 1865, his entire works were again consumed by fire. Mr. Bale's lose by this fire was about forty-five thousand dollars. With a pluck and faith in his ultimate triumph rarely equaled, Mr. Bale again set to work to rebuild and four months after the conflagration he had still another fine woolen mill to operation, with a hominy mill attachment. About the 22d of May, 1874, Mr. Bale leased the woolen mill to C. P. Horner, by whom the works are now being successfully operated.
It was not until fifteen years after the organization of Menard County that the first newspaper made its appearance as one of the fixed institutions of the County. The name of this pioneer journal was the Petersburg Express, a neutral paper, issued by S. B. Dugger, late in the year 1854. Early in the autumn of 1855, Henry L. Clay became the publisher of that paper. In the campaign of 1856, William Glenn started the Fillmore Bugle, the existence of which ceased with the Presidential contest of that year. Mr. Clay, having changed the name of the Express to that of the Menard Index, continued its publication as a Democratic paper until 1858, when he disposed of his interest to Hobart Hamilton, by whom the publication of the Index (now changed to a Republican paper) was continued until 1865, at which time he disposed of the material of the office to parties who subsequently removed it from the County. A short time previous to the final removal of the Index office, the Northwestern Baptist, a religious journal, was published, for a brief period, on its material, the editor and publisher of the paper being M. P. Hartley. About the year 1860, the Menard County Axis, a Democratic paper, was established by C. Clay. The latter paper was continued by Mr. Clay until 1868, when M. B. Friend became the publisher, and by whom the name of the paper was changed to the Petersburg Democrat. In March, 1871, Mr. Friend was succeeded in the publication of the Democrat by E. F. McElwain, who is still in charge of the paper. Under Mr. McElwain's management the paper, which is a staunch advocate of the principles of the party from which it takes its name, has flourished well. In June, 1868, a new candidate for popular favor, the Menard County Republican, made its first appearance with Richard Richardson as editor and publisher. After a brief career of nine or ten months, Mr. Richardson was succeeded by John T. McNeely, who, in turn, was succeeded by Bennett & Zane in July, 1871; upon the retiracy of Mr. Zane, a year later, John Frank succeeded to his position. The latter, however, subsequently retired as one of the publishers of the paper and was succeeded by F. M. Bryant. His partnership, like those immediately preceding it, was also short-lived, and a few months later Mr. Bennett was the sole publisher of the paper, and who, in a brief period after the dissolution of his partnership with Mr. Bryant (in February, 1874), sold the establishment to John Frank, who had, during the preceding August, started the Menard County Times. In this connection we will state that Frank J. Duboise was associated with Mr. Bennett in the publication of the Republican during the last year of its existence. The Republican office, upon its purchase by Mr. Frank, was merged into the Times establishment, and the consolidated offices continued under the name of the Menard County Times, with Mr. Frank as editor and publisher. Having entered the arena of journalism at a point where so many of his ___perts? Had failed, and where the local organization of the party with which he had been previously identified was largely in the minority. Mr. Frank's success has been of a character to elicit the praise of a host of friends. His paper is rapidly being placed on a permanent foundation.
Clinton Lodge, No. 19, A. F. & A. M., was organized October 31, 1842. The following were the officers under the dispensation: John Bennett, W.M.; Barton S. Morris, S. W.; John McNamar, J. W.; Jacob West, Treas., John Broadwell, Sec'y; David Murphy, S. D.; W. B. Kirk, J. D. Prosperity has thus far attended the order, and its membership has increased to upwards of one hundred. The following embraces a list of the present officers of the society: C. E. McDougal, W. M.; Anson Thompson, S. W.; J. R. Carver, J. W.; B. W. Montgomery, Treas.; Hobart Hamilton, Sec'y; Edw. Laning, S. D.; James Altig, J. D.; T. M. Stith, Tyler.
De Witt Chapter, R. A. M., No. 119, meets on the second Monday in each month. Was organized on the 25th of March, 1868, the following embracing a list of its first officers: Hobart Hamilton, M. E. P.; T. W. McNeely, En. K.; J. T. Brooks, E. S.; John Bennett, C. of H.; W. P. Cox, P. S.; H. W. Montgomery, Treas.; J. G. Strodtman, Sec'y. The present officers are, T. W. McNeely, M. E. P.; J. D. Wright, E. K.; C. B. Laning, E. S.; Hobart Hamilton, C of H.; T. C. Bennett, P. S.; Anson Thompson, R. A. C.; H. W. Montgomery, Treas.; J. G. Strodtman, Sec'y; T. M. Stith, Tayler. The society now numbers about fifty members.
Mr. John Bennett, the venerable patriarch of Clinton Lodge, and who has been a resident of Petersburg for upwards of forty years, has put in possession of a few historical facts connected with the lodge, which he aided in founding one-third of a century since. Clinton Lodge was named in honor of Ex-Governor De Witt Clinton, of New York. To perpetuate his memory and great virtues, the Masonic brethren have caused to be built for the ornamentation of their lodge-room a "shell monument," consisting of a collection of shells arranged with artistic genius and skill. As the number of Clinton Lodge indicates, it was one of the earliest instituted lodges of the State. Mr. Bennett has served the order as its W. M. for upwards of fifteen years, and in appreciation of his earnest labors to advance the interests of the society, Mr. Bennett, in behalf of his lodge, was presented with a splendid gold snuff-box, bearing the following inscription: "Presented by Clinton Lodge, No. 19. A.F. & A.M., to John Bennett, its founder and benefactor." The compiler of this sketch of Menard County and its several towns, in this connection, returns grateful acknowledgments to Mr. Bennett for much valuable information pertinent to the early settlement of the County.
Salem Lodge, No. 123. I.O.O.F., was organized April 13, 1853, under a dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Illinois. The following were the charter members: B. F. Stevenson, C. N. Goulding, J. A. Collier, Theo. Baker, and Z. P. Cabaniss. The following were the officers installed: Jno H. Collier, N. G.; B. F. Stevenson, V. G.; Z. P. Cabaniss, Sec'y; Theo. Baker, Treas. The first person initiated was John T. Brooks. The lodge continued to work under dispensation until the 14th of October of the same year, when its charter was granted. The lodge for the first few years immediately following its organization flourished at an astonishing rate, and at the end of its first year had enrolled upwards of fifty members. This prosperity continued until the civil war of 1861, when, from various causes, the membership dwindled very low, and it was not until the vote was finally taken on surrendering its charter that the dormant energies of the remaining members were aroused, and the lodge again prospered. The financial difficulties which for a time harassed the society were overcome rapidly, and from the danger that erstwhile beset it and imperiled its existence, the lodge has emerged free from debt, and has at this writing upwards of $500 in its treasury. The total membership of the lodge is seventy members. The following are its present officers: A. J. Kelly, N. G.; Albert Walker, V. G.; W. E. Ludwig, R. Sec'y; Martin Nicolai, F. Sec'y; Chas. Zilley, Treas.; Representative to the Grand Lodge, C. L. Hatfield.
Charity Encampment, No. 125, I.O.O.F, was organized August 16, 1871, under dispensation. The following were the charter members: J. W. Cheaney, Jno. W. Briggs, James W. Bracken, Richard Mullen, Alfred E. Mick, George Clemens, W. S. Conant and Charles Fricke. The following were the first officers elected: Jas. W. Cheaney, C.P.; J. W. Briggs, R.P.; J. A. Bracken, S. W.; A. E. Mick, Scribe; Geo. Clemens, Ass't Scribe; Richard Mullen, J. W.; C. L. Hatfield, Sam'l Estill, John Anderson, and A. F. Ocligen were the first to receive the patriarchal degrees; being initiated on the evening of organization under special dispensation. The charter was granted at the October session of the Grand Encampment, 1871. The lodge is in a healthy, prosperous condition, and has a membership of 28. The following are its officers: Charles Fricke, C.P.; W. S. Conant, H.P.; L. L. Bean, S.W.; A. J. Kelley, Scribe; George Clemens, Treas.; Douglas Bale, J.W.; Representative in the Grand Encampment, W. S. Conant.