Illustrated Atlas Map of Menard County, Illinois 1874|
Published by W.R. Brink & Co., of Illinois
Sketch Of Greenview
Greenview, a thriving town on the Jacksonville branch of the Chicago and Alton Railroad, in northeastern Menard, was laid off by the well-known pioneer, Wm. Engle, Esq., and a few other gentlemen, on the 2d of October, 1857. The town derived its name from Wm. G. Greene, now prominent as a banker and agriculturist, and is laid out upon a tract of land purchased of Charles L. Montgomery. The first residences of the place were built by Robt. McReynolds and James Stone, and the third building was a brick, erected by John Williamson, used as a hotel. Mr. McReynolds also built the first business building of importance, and which was occupied by him as a store. Additional residences were soon built by John Howard, M. M. Engle, C. R. Pierce, Amos C. West, and others, and business buildings erected by Joseph Sampson, F. A Craig, Myers & Bro., G. W. Hatch, and S. C. Mills. Messrs. Wilkinson and Blane also figured as early business men. The first church was erected by the Cumberland Presbyterians, in 1859; followed by the Methodists and Baptists. The Christian and Catholic denominations also have organizations. The railroad was completed to the town in 1867, and thenceforth the village improved rapidly, many new roofs were observable each succeeding year, and the population advanced to between 500 and 600 souls. A fine mill was erected in 1872. The town is finely situated, in the midst of an agricultural district of great fertility and loveliness of scenery, and with all the advantages with which to build up and sustain a city of large dimensions. There are between thirty-five and forty business men in the place, representing all the different kinds of business usually carried on in wide-awake railway towns. As tangible evidence of the interest taken by the enterprising people of Greenview to provide for the educational wants of the rising youth of the place, we need only state that an elegant and commodious brick school building, costing nearly $10,000, is one of the institutions of the town. The churches of the place are supplied with able ministers, and the congregations at the several churches large and intelligent. It is scarcely necessary to add that the society of the town is highly moral and congenial. The Masonic and Odd Fellows' fraternities each have prosperous lodges here. Greenview Lodge, No. 635, A. F. & A. M., was organized under dispensation on the 12th of May 1870. Its charter was granted on the 4th of October, 1870. The charter members were F. E. Wilson, W. H. Crites, H. K. Rule, Chas. Atterberry, W. S. Morse, J. A. Rule, Abner Engle, Jacob Propst, Jr., Fred Wilkinson, M. S. Eby, Wm. Houston, D. A. Petrie, Robt. Hornback, Jacob Killion, John Johnson, F. A. Craig, C. R. Pierce, R. B. Godby, A. H. Whitney, and Hosea Dockum. The present membership of the order is 55. The time of holding meetings is on Tuesday on or before the full moon, and also on the 24th of June and the 27th of December.