Illustrated Atlas Map of Menard County, Illinois 1874|
Published by W.R. Brink & Co., of Illinois
The first settlers were two men by the names of James Meadows and Jacob Boyer, who came in 1820. Leonard Alkier afterwards bought out Mr. Meadows. John Jennison, Samuel McNab, and a man by the name of Pentecost were also among the first settlers. Wm. Engle, a prominent citizen of the County, came at the same time, and with Leonard Alkier, Nicholas Propst, came also before the "deep snow."
The first church organized was of the Separate Baptist order. It afterwards became a New Light congregation under the leadership of Rev. James Hughes, and still later a "Christian Church," under the influence of Rev. Abner Peeler. It was originally organized by Rev. Stephen England.