|The early settlers of Sandridge Community were people who came from the south
and east, through wilderness in covered wagons and on horseback. Many were
Christian people who found it inconvenient to attend church at Concord
Presbyterian Church, Baker's Prairie or Clary's Grove Baptist Churches because of
Peter Cartwright (a Methodist), John Berry (a Cumberland Presbyterian), and
John Antle (a Baptist), all preached in this precinct at an early day. Together
the Cumberland Presbyterians and the Baptists organized a congregation in
1833 and in 1852 erected the first church known as the Sandridge Baptist Church,
located one half mile west of the present church. Noah M. King donated the
land for the church.
This church was called the Sandridge United Baptist Church of Jesus Christ.
The names of the members who signed are:
1957 Eddie Burris
1958 Kenneth Thomas
1960 Charles Sprague
1960 James Harmon
1962 Elmer Ward
1963 David Church
1965 Kenneth McLaughlin
1968 Frank Chance
1969 Mel Kennaman
1974 Charles Auerswald
1977 Dennis Bilbruck
1978 James Wolfly
1980 Joe Griffith
1981 Donald R. Full
1986 David A. Baker
1989 Steve Crumbaugh
1992 Robert J. Hastings
1993 A. Alan Redfern
1995 George A Packard
2000 Delbert Penrod
The following excerpts from their business meetings:
The first business meeting was held on the second Saturday of June, 1852.
Rev. William Godsby was the first pastor called.
At a business meeting on the second Saturday of September, 1853, a little
over a year later, the moderator was asked to appoint delegates to the
association at Clary's Grove which were James Hudspeth and William Armstrong. Rev.
Godsby served the church 19 years.
Minutes of the meeting July, 1871: "The Sandridge Baptist Church met, no
preaching and no business, church adjourned. John W. Cogdal, (Clerk)
September 9, 1871, the members agreed to call Rev. Pleasant Clark for one
year as their pastor." Also Rev. John Curry served.
"September 15, 1873: Sandridge Baptist Church called Bro. T.G. Clark to
preach once a month."
"March 8, 1879: Sunday after preaching by J.W. Taylor, ordinance of baptism
administered to 23 persons, J.W. Taylor officiating."
In 1883, the pastor, Thomas Potter, officiated at the marriage ceremony of
Henry Edwards and Mary Elmore."
In 1883 the first organ was purchased from Wisemiller. Flora Kincaid was the
first organist. Tade Todd led the song services. Mrs. Ollie Combs and Mrs.
Nettie Tuttle were organists also.
On March 13, 1898, a fire destroyed the church and most of the records.
Following the fire, the members met April 7, 1898, and decided to rebuild across
the road from the Wesley Kincaid residence. (This site mentioned is the present
location of the church.)
At that meeting the following committees were appointed: Building Committee:
James Senter, Sr. and George Dawson; Finance Committee: Charles L. Nance,
Minerva Cooper and Emma Nance; Trustees: George Cooper, Milton Nance, J.R. Short,
J.W. Endley and Wesley Kincaid.
"Sandridge Church in regular session opened with prayer by Bro. Senter.
Church proceeded to business. Trustees to new church were to e appointed by motion
and seconded. All members voting named George Cooper, Milton Nance, J.R.
Short, J.W. Ensley and Wesley Kincaid. Motion was made to building committee to go
and buy the land from Tersey Potter and prepare to build. Trustees to have
deed made for one and one fourth acres. Motion made to adjourn. J.T. Senter,
Moderator, Mrs. Wesley Kiincaid, Clerk.
The Baptist people met in the Kirby School house for their palce of worship
and Sunday School each Sunday in spring and summer of 1898. The carpenter was
Frank Loften of Petersburg, Illinois. The cost was to e approximately
$1,500.00. It was completed in September and dedicated on Sunday, September 18, 1898
under the name of Sandridge New Hope Baptist Church.
Rev Porter of Jerseyville, Illinois, gave the service of dedication. Dinner
was served in the Wesley Kincaid yard under the shade trees. There were 36
charter members. The last charter member was Mrs. Anetta Nance Tuttle, who passed
away September 19, 1978, at the age of 95 years.
Mrs. George Dawson was the first one baptized and added to the fellowship of
the church in the new building. The first pastor in the new building was B.F.
Drake of White Hall, Illinois. The fist associational meeting was held at the
new church September 1899 when it was one year old. This was the Central
Illinois Baptist Association. Membership at this time was 44 members.
In 1908 the first furnace was installed. At a business meeting May 14, 1910,
a motion was made and carried that the trustees paint the church and repair
plastering. Motion made and carried that Bro. Isley supervise the putting up of
the hitch racks. One post remains on the east side of the yard.
September 1916. "At a business meeting it was voted to write to Bro Hudson
and find out if h e will accept the church for the same price as the year before
and leave out getting to that early train on Monday morning."
The basement was completed in 1925.
The church was wired for electricity in 1938.
In 1940 New Hope voted to sever all connections with Central Baptist
Association citing II Corinthians 14-18.
A new furnace was installed in 1946.
New Hope Church held a business meeting July 4, 1946: "There were 19 members
present. This meeting was held to decide if we would ask for fellowship in
Southern Baptist Association. After much discussion, motion carried that we were
ready to vote. Motion carried that we ask for fellowship in the Sandy Creek
Association. All members voting. Motion carried."
August 7, 1946. Letter to Association and delegates selected. Ask Association
to meet at New Hope in 1947.
The following is a list of pastors who have not been previously mentioned.
John D. Jess
George M. Eades
J. N. Fitch
During the years in existence of the church the following family names have
been associated with it.
Ahrenkiel, Atterberry, Beard, Birchfield, Brown, Carpenter, Cogdal, Cox,
Cundiff, Dawson, Eachels, Ensley, Finn, Frederick, Gilmore, Hagen, Hatfield,
Higgins, Hollis, Hopper, James, Kincaid, LaMaster, Leebold, Marcy, McClure, Murphy,
Nichols, Ogden, Pillsbury, Reed, Sewell, Shultz, Spurgeon, Alexander,
Atwater, Bearden, Boehm, Browning, Cashnew, Combs, Crain, Curry, Delvins, Edwards,
Entrekin, Floweree, Frick, Goldsby, Hall, Henky, Hill, Holman, Hornke, Jones,
King, Lancaster, Love, Martin, McLaughlin, Nance, Nissen, Owens, Pritchett,
Richardson, Shear, Simons, Stalh, Allen, Bailey, Bell Boeker,Caldi, Cooper,
Crumbaugh, Daniels, Dowell, Elliott, Estell, Focus, Fry, Greenhalgh, Hamblin, Heyen,
Hohimer, Hoover, Hudspeth, Justice, Kirby, Lascelles, Maltson, McDole,
Miller, Nation, Nolan, Packard, Rapien, Ring, Short, Smith, Sith, Armstrong, Barton,
Binger, Branson, Caldwell, Close, Corbin, Cummings, David, Duff, Elmore,
Filkin, Fornoff, Full, Gurgett, Harris, Hibb, Holliday, Hopkins, Isley, Kennedy,
Koehne, Lee, Manaham, McKinney, Moody, Neely, Noland, Penrod, Reagon, Senter,
Showalter, Spears, Thomas, Thompson, Trenary, Watkins, Wolf, Todd, Trippett,
White, Worthington, Toncray, Tuttle, Wilken, Wright, Trailor, Vogle, Wiseman.
March 1951: Love seat and chair for church platform paid for by Mrs. Ed
Wilkin, $15.00. They are still in use.
July 20, 1952: New Hope Baptist Church celebrated its Centennial Anniversary
in their own building.
October 3, 1956 business meeting -- Voted to join Capital City Baptist
October 2, 1957 -- Wrote Sandy Creek Association informing them that we have
joined Capital City Baptist Association. During the following years the
congregation slowly dwindled to a few precious souls, who were faithful in keeping
the doors open.
In 1976 New Hope Baptist Church was named in the will of the Harbison estate.
The amount was nearly $5,000.00 which was put into a savings account. During
the 1977 the building was insulated. In 1978 it received a termite treatment.
We know the Spirit of God works in mysterious ways. In the heart of a former
member burned the desire to see New Hope flourish again. In the fall of 1978,
with James Wolfley as pastor, the few members met to discuss what lay ahead.
By faith…they plunged ahead with a renovation program. Money had to be
borrowed. Letters to former members and friends of the church were mailed, dated
November 22, 1978 asking for contributions and prayers. All replies were favorable.
Little by little the attendance started climbing. The Spirit of God was at
work in the Sandridge community. Fourteen attended, then 20, 35, 55 and 58 on
December 26, 1978. In early December the first work was underway. The old
furnace was taken out. Two new gas furnaces were installed. A well was drilled.
Septic tank, rest room and water system were added. New electrical system and
interior were completed. Carpeting was installed. From January 7 to March 18,
1979, the congregation met in the Oakford Hall for services. During May of 1979,
with the Lord's help, the church put up 3 signs, added air conditioning and
enlarged the front entrance. New hymnals were purchased. September of 1979 saw
the old slate shingles come off and new shingles put on the roof and steeple.
June 1981. The basement improvements included a suspended tile ceiling with
new wiring and lights, new windows, (eliminating four windows), another sump
pump added and walls painted. We were always able to repay the loans in record
time. The Lord provided for our needs. Today we owe not one penny.
November 1, 1981, Donald R. Full became our pastor.
March 1982. The siding and storm windows were added. The old brick chimney
was torn down and a modern one put up. Two ceiling fans and a used organ were
purchased. Partitions were made to divide the basement into Sunday School
April 18, 1982, pastor, Don Full was ordained to the gospel ministry.
In September of 1982 a "new pew" fund was started and began to build a little
at a time. In February 1983 we ordered new oak pews. When delivery was made
in May, the Lord had provided again. We paid for them, in full. We had sold the
old pews to individuals. Our latest purchase was a new piano. A faithful
servant of the Lord made a large contribution toward the purchase. Now, new hope
at New Hope is more than a name. It's a reality.
November 20, 1983, the Sesquicentennial year was celebrated. Former pastors,
members and friends attended and took part in the day long service.
1984 - Five persons were baptized and joined New Hope Baptist Church.
1986 - One added to membership by profession of faith and baptism. October 26
was Don Full's last service as our pastor.
February 14, 1987, New Hope received $2,357.70 from Viola Hill Estate. David
A. Baker became our pastor. June 28, David Baker was ordained.
Through all the years the church battled the high water table in the area.
Deciding enough was enough, the church voted to build a fellowship hall on the
west side of the building. Through the summer of 1987, volunteers worked long
hours to help complete the project, including a kitchen, nursery, bathroom and
office. Folding doors make it possible to accommodate five classrooms. This
year we added one for baptism and membership.
1992. We added for baptism and membership.
1993. Three of our young people professed faith in Jesus and asked to be
baptized and joined New Hope. In November, a new gas furnace was
installed. This was the first year for Mt. Olive Baptist, Oakford Methodist and
New Hope Baptist to hold joint Thanksgiving services. The offering collected
goes to charity. The service location and speakers rotate among the churches
1994. We received one candidate for baptism and membership.
In the fall, new front double wide doors were installed and the foyer was
Summer 1999. Other recent pastors have been Elmer Ward, Charles Auswald, Joe Griffith, Robert J.
Hastings, Steven Crumbaugh, David Baker, Allan Redfern and Allen Packard.
March 1, 2000, Rev Delbert Penrod became our pastor with his wife Barbara. In
May, the wooden crosses were donated in memory of our former pastor, G. Allen
Packard, by the Brown family. In November new carpeting was installed and new
hymnals were purchased.
In the Lord's Name -- and with pastor Delbert Penrod and his wife, Barbara,
to shepherd us, New Hope Baptist Church looks forward to proclaiming His Love.
This was the vision and faith of our ancestors 170 years ago and it remains
our vision today.
Amen, Come Lord Jesus!