Pioneers of Menard & Mason Counties
Including Personal Reminiscens of Abraham Lincoln & Peter Cartwright
By T.G. Onstot, 1902


CHAPTER XI
The Presbyterians

Page 124

Dr. Allen's coming to Petersburg in 1840 was the beginning of that church. For a time the meetings were held in the old court house, an old building in which Septimus Levering kept store at an early day. It was in the middle of the block, three blocks south of the public square and on the west side of the street. Jim Taylor kept store on the south corner of the block and the Hoeys on the north corner. After a while a small church was built north of where Rule's livery stable now stands, where other denominations also held meetings when in was not occupied by the Presbyterians. A preacher by the name of Gault held meetings there for a number of years. He was a good preacher, but, Presbyterian like, read his sermons, which lessened their effect. William Cowgill, the Frackeltons, Dr. Allen and a few others represented the Presbyterian Church in the "forties." A large and substantial brick church was erected one block west of the square later on. The old church is now occupied by S. B. Bryant as a paint shop.

Transcribed by:Brenda Hamilton Johnson

Previous

Next

1902 Index


Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors

Home