(unknown newspaper)

Death of an Old Settler
One by one the pioneers of Athens and Menard county are being gathered to their fathers. The ties that bind them to earth are being severed and it will not be many years until all that is left of them will be in the memory of their successors on the stage of action. This week we are called upon to chronicle the decease of one of the old land marks whose well-known face has been familiar to the successive generations of Athens since the first settlement of this community - A.B. Hall

Abner Banks Hall was the son of Abner and Jane (Overstreet) Hall and was born in Lawrence county, Ohio in 1820. He came with his father's family to Illinois about 1825, and located a short distance north of the present city of Athens, on a piece of land afterward known as the Tice farm, now the property of H.C. Rogers. Later they located on what is now a part of this city. His father was one of the first merchants of Athens, forming a partnership with his brother, Elisha Hall in 1833. The deceased has resided here since that time and has been permitted to behold the most wonderful century of the world's history.

During his life the rugged wilderness has been transformed into the blooming garden spot of the world. The packhorse and stage coach have given way to the vestibuled train. The primitive methods of communication have been supplanted by the telegraph and telephone. The rising generation can scarcely grasp the greatness of the changes that have been wrought within the span of his life.

Mr. Hall was united in marriage with Miss Jeanette Francis about 1844. Several children were born to them, three of whom with their mother are still living: Mrs. Ida Croft, of Irish Grove, Calvin F. Hall and Mrs. Abbie Parrish, of this city. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Catherine Ayers and Mrs. Matilda Clark, who are all that remain of a family of ten.

His death occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Parrish, at 12:05 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 28, 1896, after a two weeks illness. He made no profession of religion during his life until during his last illness. He assured his family and friends that he was ready and willing to die.

Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church on Wednesday at 10 o'clock a.m., conducted by the pastor Rev. D.G. Carson, after which his mortal remains were laid to rest in the beautiful West Cemetery, the cite of which was donated by his father to the public for a burying ground.

Transcribed by:Matthew


Copyright 2007 Jeanie Lowe & contributors
All rights reserved
Illinois Ancestors