CHARLES T. LEWIS|
Petersburg Observer, October 4, 1935
CHARLES T. LEWIS, CIVIL WAR VETERAN, IS DEAD
Death occurred Sunday at home here: funeral Services Held Tuesday.
Charles T. Lewis, resident of Petersburg for more than sixty years, died at his home here Sunday afternoon, September 29, at the age of ninety-one years and three months. Mr.Lewis had enjoyed remarkably fine health until a year or so ago, when he suffered an illness from the effects of which he had never fully recovered. For several months his health had declined steadily and for the past few weeks, a nurse had been in constant attendance.
Mr.Lewis was a veteran of the Civil War,having served in the Confederate army. He was born in Glasgow, Mo. On June 29, 1844, the son of Rev. William H. and Christine Boyd Lewis. He was sixteen years old at the outbreak of the Civil War and his sympathies being with the cause of the South, he ran away from home at the age of sixteen and enlisted. He served all through the war, and was wounded during a battle at Corinth, Miss., being wounded first in one arm and later in the side. After receiving treatment at a field hospital he was sent to the base hospital at Jackson, and later removed to a hospital in Canton, Miss where he remained for some two months before being discharged. Later he was at Vicksburg during the historic siege of that city which ended with its capture by the Union Army.
Mr. Lewis lived through some stirring events and had probably more firsthand knowledge of the Civil War, from the standpoint of the southerner, than any man in this section of the state, with the exception of the venerable Robert Carver likewise a soldier of the Confederacy.
Soon after the close of the Civil War, Mr. Lewis came to this city and here spent the remainder of his life. He was married on December 5, 1867 to Miss Anna White of this city. Their marriage took place in the house in which they spent all their married life and in which Mr. Lewis died. To them were born the following children: Mrs. Effie Bradley, Walker O. Lewis, Mrs. Lucy Flickeinger, Arthur Lewis, Mrs. William Taylor, Dr. Ralston I. Lewis, Mrs. William Luthringer and Mrs. D. B. Finey. One son, Arthur Lewis died some thirty five years ago. Surviving are the widow, the children named above, eighteen grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren as well as a number of more distant relatives and a great many friends.
Mr. Lewis engaged in business in this city many years ago, but retired from active life a number of years ago. He was a member of Central Presbyterian church, and for more than forty years was Superintendent of the Sunday school. For more than ten years he served as an elder of the Church. He was active not only in church affairs but in civic affairs and his quiet philanthropies were many. He will be greatly missed in his home, in the church and in the community.
Funeral services were held at the Central Presbyterian church at 2:30 Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. H. M. Hildebrandt of Springfield, assisted by Rev. Grant Mason and Rev. E. L. Banta, and burial was in Oakland. The elders of the church, the officers of the Sunday school and the members of the Philathea Class attended in a body. Music was by Mrs. Ernest Nelson and Arthur Johnston, with Mrs. Hermina Wilma at the organ. Pall bearers were either grandsons, Harold Lewis, Ralph Lewis, Arthur Finney, Dr. W. A. Beard, Lewis Taylor, Richard Finney, Charley Lewis and John Luthringer.
Transcribed by:Jeanie Lowe