Kay Watkins School in 2004, submitted by Jeanie Lowe
Photo & text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"
The Menard County Atlas of 1874 indicates the
Kay Watkins School was in existence then. Records
show on May 4, 1898, Ryal and Martha Armstrong sold
the school trustees one-half acre of land for $20. This
school served the community until the close of the
1946-47 school year. Some early teachers were O.L.
Duncan, W.W. King, H.B. Kirk, Fred Smith, and Sarah
Anderson. Later teachers were Marie Schonewis,
Margaret Skaggs,and Mildred Kramer. Pioneer family
names were Watkins, Randall, Boeker, Lukins, Potter,
Prunm and Bissell. The building is now being renovated
to be used to house Hamblin Feed Service.