Text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"|
Shipley School was named for the owner of the
farm, Reason Shipley, on whose property the first log
school house was erected in the 1830s. Some of the
early teachers were James Grant, Mentor Graham, and
Ann Rutledge's brother David.
In 1853 one and 1/160th acres were deeded to the
school trustees. A one room frame building was built
Before the district was abosrbed into the Petersburg
Unit School System, an oil furnace was installed in
the basement plus facilities for hot lunches.
At present the building is a family dwelling.