Photo & text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"
William Watkins School was in session until the
close of the school year of 1945-46 when it became a
part of the Petersburg Unit System. Some teachers
were Charles Fry, Thelma Ortman, Beatrice (Christy)
Kendell, Maude Dowell, Irving Brown, Sara Satorius
Mrs. Harry Collins and Bernice Schoneweis.
Pioneer family names were Watkins, Stith,
Lang, Thomas, and Spilly. The building is now the
dwelling of Mr.and Mrs. Twain Sponsler.