The village of Hamlet, located one mile south of the north line and three miles west of the east line of the township, was named in honor of Hamlet Cooper, one of the pioneer settlers. The Candor Brothers opened the first store, in which the postoffice was located. The present store is conducted by George F. Hartman & Co. Both the Candor brothers moved to Aledo, where they now reside.
The progress of the village has been slow, owing to its proximity to Reynolds, the nearest railroad town, but it is one of those quiet country villages where the farmers in the community go for their mail and spend a short time in social converse.
The first blacksmith shop was opened here by Thomas Lewis. The business houses of the village are one harness shop, one store of general merchandise, by Josiah Candor, one drug store, by Dr. Criswell, one wagon and blacksmith shop, by A. T. Hooples and D. M. Dumbell and son. The village has a good local trade, and has a population of about 125 persons. The postoffice now kept at Hamlet was first established in this neighborhood in 1851. The office was first kept by Graham Lee, who held it till 1869, when it was moved to Hamlet, and Josiah Condor appointed postmaster. He has since continued to hold the office without cessation.
MUTUAL FIRE AND LIGHTNING INSURANCE
LIBRARY ASSOCIATION OF HAMLET
Historical Encyclopeida of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved