The land where Sherrard sits was originally purchased in September of 1839 from the United States Government by John Morey . In May of 1854 Thomas and Olive Morey sold this land to David Sherrard . The land consisted of 119 acres. On the Second of January, 1894 this land was transferred to the Coal Valley Mining Company for $1.00 and "other considerations."
The Village of Sherrard was surveyed on the 17th, 18th, and 19th of April, 1894. The plat of the Village was recorded in the county seat of Aledo, in May of 1894.
The first child born in the new village was Tom Schofield. The second child born was on the day following Tom's birth and was Bertha Youngquist. The first home built was at 204-Fourth Avenue, the home was built by E.E. Sincox, who also built the livery stable. Another early home was built at 102-Second Avenue, and was the residence of James and Ada Schofield, parents of Tom.
In 1895 it was known as the new mining village.
The town was a boom town until the coal mine closed in 1918. The greatest population according to the 1910 Federal Census when the population reached about 906. Many families had boarders who were miners
Many of the homes and buildings in Sherrard were moved from Cable as the coal mine there began to decline. Later, when the mine in Sherrard closed in 1918, many of the buildings were moved to Matherville. The Free Methodist Church was moved to Shale City in 1915. After the closing of the coal mine, the population of the village declined to half its population. The village, however was continued to be a center of commerce for the township.
The coal mine was state-of-the-art for its time, and the village was also very progressive, having electricity about 1901. It had telephone service very early . The Home Telephone Company served the village; another phone company served the rural areas. If you wanted to communicate with both the town and rural residents you needed two phones.
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved