Carbon Cliff History & Genealogy


Carbon Cliff is the name given to the village back in the early 1900’s when it was once a very important center of the coal mining industry. It lies in the south part of Hampton Township.

. The place is now noted for its tile works and pottery. The Argillo Works manufacture tile and fire brick quite extensively, their shipments by rail averaging two car loads per day. The works are managed by a stock company, with Mylo Lee as President and manager, and Cornelius Lynde, of Rock Island, Secretary. The capital stock is $100,000, About 60 men find employment in these works, In addition to these works, there are three potteries, each of which do a good business.

There is but one store in the place, owned by C. Corbin, the store building being used as a depot and postoffice. Mr. Corbin is also Postmaster.

In educational matters, the village has a good frame school house, in which school is regularly held. There is an enrollment at present of 55.

There is no church edifice here, though the Meth­ odist Episcopal people hold services regularly in the school house, and have a regularly organized society.

On November 13, 1906 voters of Hampton territory petitioned the county court for permission to incorporate as a village. On December 8, 1906 the citizens voted and the vote was 55 to 28 in favor and Carbon Cliff became it’s own town. Six trustees took office on January 12, 1907 .


Mayors of Carbon Cliff

William R. Carey: 1907-1908

William  Mardis: 1908-1913

F. R. Meeske: 1913-1917

William Beckwith: 1917-1919

William Mardis: 1919-1921

William Gerhardt: 1921-1925

Ernest Dennhardt: 1925-1933

Carroll Hicks: 1933-1937

Joe Malinoski: 1937-1941

Homer Kincaid: 1941-1945

Ben Jackson: 1945-1947

William Lorenz: 1948-1961

Robert Lewis: 1961-1968

H.D. Ferguson: 1968-1969

Keith Rausch: 1969-1977

Roger Duck: 1977-1981

Kenneth Williams: 1981-1989

 

back to home