Is the outgrowth of a small business established by Harper Bros, in 1863, on the corner of 2d Avenue and 11th Street, the firm purchasing stock at Erie, Pa., and finishing it by hand. In 1865 A. S. Wright purchased the interest of one of the brothers, and under the firm name of Harper & Wright the manufacture of pumps was added.

They put the machinery in White's mill, on the island, for the purpose. In 1866 they purchased a portion of their present location and erected shops. In 1868 Walter Hill house was admitted as a partner, the business being conducted under the firm name of Harper, Wright & Co.

In 1869 Harper sold his interest to Daniel Wheelock, and the firm name was changed to Wright, Hillhouse & Co., continuing as such until May 1, 1872, when a joint-stock company was formed under the name of the Moline Pump Company, with a capital stock of 175,000. A. S. Wright was President and Walter Hillhouse, Secretary. In 1874 Chas. G. Moore became interested, purchasing a large share of the stock. Chas. A. Rose subsequently purchased a number of shares of stock, and at the present time the stock is about all held by A. S. Wright, C. G. Moore and C. A. Rose.

The business has gradually increased until now the average products amount to $125,000 annually: employment is given to about 50 men. Wooden pumps were manufactured ex­ clusively for many years, but in 1878 the company began preparations for the manufacture of iron pumps of every kind. To the improvement of existing pat­ terns much time and labor was given, and a number of entirely new styles were designed. In 1880 their foundry was built, their machine shop fitted up, and the manufacture of iron pumps begun in earnest. New styles are introduced from time to time and old ones improved.


Portrait and Biographical Album of Rock Island Co.


©Wini Caudell and Contributors

All Rights Reserved

Illinois Ancestors