Cities of Rock Island County
Rock Island County
Scroll down for links
Rock Island County has an unusual shape because it follows the course of two rivers: the Mississippi and the Rock. The Mississippi runs west in Rock Island County, and a number of treacherous rapids along this section of the river have contributed to much of the county's past.
Rock Island County grew rapidly after Illinois became a state in 1818, because these rivers provided an abundant means of transportation and power. Dams and mills were built to harness and use the power provided by these waterways. This was typical of many frontier villages.
Rock Island County was one of four primary locations where settlers heading west crossed the Mississippi.
The following cities and townships are modern-day places as well as places that are no longer incorporated. Some townships had different names.
Andalusia (Formed from Edgington in September, 1858)
Blackhawk (Name changed from Camden on October 1, 1857)
Bowling, Buffalo Prairie (Name changed from Buffalo to Copper on October 1, 1857; from Copper to Buffalo Prairie in January, 1858)
Canoe Creek and Coal Valley
Coe (Name changed from Fremont to Penn on October 1, 1857; from Penn to Coe in January, 1858)
Rural (Formed from Coal Valley)
South Moline (Formed from Moline in March, 1879)
South Rock Island (Formed from Rock Island on March 1, 1878)
Zuma (Name changed from Walker on October 1, 1857)
Cities preceded by a * once had a post office but are no longer incorporated.
|Andalusia||Barstow||Buffalo Prairie||Carbon Cliff|
|Coal Valley||Cordova||East Moline||Edgington|
|Stewartville*||Silvis||Taylor Ridge||Zuma Center*|
|Port Byron||Rapids City||Coyne Center||Drury|
|South Rock Island*||South Moline||Tippecanoe||Watertown|
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved