WILLIAM DAYTON CAMP
Of Sunny Slope Farm, and one of the most prosperous farmers of Canoe Creek township, has long been recognized as a leader in agricultural matters. He was born at Port Byron, Ill. . May 30, 1865 , a son of James and Mary (Wise-Wilson) Camp, both natives of Pennsylvania .
James Camp was married first in Coe township to Miss Rowe, who had no children. They took a wedding trip with oxen across to Oregon , where for three years he worked as a blacksmith, and while on the trip they slept out on the Rocky Mountains . The first husband of Mary Wise was a Mr. Wilson, whom she married in Ohio , living there until after his death, and her second marriage. She had a son by her first marriage, Emmett W. Wilson of Idaho .
The parents of W. D. Camp married at Ashland , O., and came to Port Byron in a buggy, drawn by one horse. Here he conducted a blacksmith shop until the fall of 1863, when he bought a farm, upon which he lived until his death on July 22, 1913 , although in 1899, he moved to Hillsdale, but returned to the farm three years later.
The following family was born to him and his wife: Elsworth E., of Grand Rapids , Wis. ; Lula M., widow of Worthington Cain; William D.: Carrie, Mrs. William W. Cain of Coe township; and James E., at home.
William Dayton Camp resided with his parents until he was twenty-five years old. when he moved to LaPorte , Col. , and worked for nearly a year. He then returned home and worked for his father until his marriage, after which he lived four years in Coe township. For the next four years he rented land and then moved to his father's homestead, which he rents. He also owns forty acres, adjoining the homestead. Mr. Camp is also a director of the Crescent Telephone Company, in which he has seven associates as members of the board.
On April 16, 1891. Mr. Camp was married to Sarah Elizabeth Genung. born in Coe township, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Duumire) Genung. natives of New York state and Pennsylvania , respectively. They were quite young when they came to Coe township, where they resided until death claimed them, the father dying on November 24. 1891, and the mother on December 24, 1906 . Mr. and Mrs. Camp became the parents of children as follows : Mildred, who was born December 15, 1892 . and was married March 26. 1913, to J. W. Lafferty, and they reside at Lafayette . Ill. , where he is a barber; Glenn, who was born Jane 3, 1804; Grace, who was born September 21. 1806; Vernon , who was born February 12, 1890 ; and Helen, who was born February 25, 1901 .
Like their father, they attended school in Enterprise district. Mr. Camp belongs to the United Brethren church, of which he is a trustee and steward. He is a republican, and served capably as supervisor for two years, and as road commissioner since 1907. Fraternally, he belongs to the Hillsdale lodge. Modern Woodmen of America, and the Mystic Workers of the same place. He is a man who is progressive in his ideas, and is interested in the advancement of his community. While he was on the board of supervisors he expended the public moneys economically and wisely, and inaugurated several much needed improvements.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by Denise Campbell
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved